Music and Bushcraft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
I appreciate that this is going to be heresey to many people but does anybody else like to listen to music when out in the woods? If so what?

I OCASSIONALY take my MP3 player, especially when I am up on the banks of the M2 to drown the noise of cars, but whatever I take doesn't seem appproraite when I get there. With the possible exception of "Focus III" which works well anywhere :D

I did take a ghetto blaster to one scout camp and played a CD of animal noises which i had mixed specially. It worked really well at 1AM and included foxes crying, owls a coyote and of course a brown bear. Echoing round the woods that fooled them :lmao:

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
I listen to a lot of music but for me part of being out in the woods is getting away from noise and just having some quiet time.

But i do like to get the stereo cranked up when im night fishing on a pier, i was away last week for a few night's and blasting the FooFighters while hauling fish in all night was great stuff :D

useless

Tenderfoot
Oct 20, 2005
Hampshire, UK
I like to take a guitar with me when camping. I'm looking into getting a "traveller" guitar, quite small and designed for back backing.

After that I'll lear how to play it!

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
useless said:
I like to take a guitar with me when camping. I'm looking into getting a "traveller" guitar, quite small and designed for back backing.

After that I'll lear how to play it!

Martin make a lovely little travel guitar , im looking out for one myself.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Taking this thread another direction altogether I would be interested to hear about people's attempts at making music either while in "the bush" or using materials gathered and/ or worked in the bush.

I am working on a set of elderberry pan pipes. I have a full octave now and need to put it together into a single instrument rather than just a collection of pipes. I used a Japanese technique I found on the web that told me how to fashion a reed. Anyone interested in seeing some pictures?

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
Rich- yes can I see some pictures please?

I Just play guitar or mandolin if my son is taking his but only to camps with a group of people.

I tried setting up my systhesizers on top of Bluebll Hill over Maidstone one evening as the sun went down, but the results were not good :( I ought to try again sometime really. But then thats as far from Bushcraft instruments as I can imagine :)

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
One of my sons plays an excellent Ojibwe courting flute. Nothing quite like it on the trail. I also like listening to loons (great northern diver - for you English types).

Here is an MP3 site

Try "Call of the Loon" for both of the sounds I like.

I wish I'd taken my recorder to the Bushmoot, but hindsight is a wonderful thing. I'm too scared of carrying my fiddle or mandolin on the bike, they mean too much to me and I don't want to do anything to damage them. I think the vibration from being strapped to the bike would not do them any good at all.

tyrcian

Feb 7, 2006
Guisborough, Cleveland
Depends, if it's camping with a group of my friends, then its dreamtheater and other metal all night baby!
however if I'm by myself I like to listen to various relaxing songs, I even enjoy a bit of orchestral music, specifically Siege, Fortress and Ancients composed by Matt Uelman, quite simply powerful stuff.

S

Skippy

You can't beat the sound of a native american flute whilst out in the woods, even better if you made it yourself. makes a brilliant bushcraft/woodcraft project.

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
Skippy said:
You can't beat the sound of a native american flute whilst out in the woods, even better if you made it yourself. makes a brilliant bushcraft/woodcraft project.

I usually don't take any electronic devices out with me, but the flute is absolutely my favorite music to hear while in bush. Sitting on the shore of a lake and hearing the flute play out the soulful cry of the loon, or hearing the echos of the wind, hawk and wolf, as it reverberates off of canyon walls is awesome. The music is both of the natural and the spiritual worlds, because it's impossible to separate the two and as I listen to it flowing around me, I can feel it touch my soul.

S

Siecroz

Well, me and a mate thought that we would get imaginative and try for something a little different. So I bought:

A Tin Whistle & a Didgeridoo (spelling probably well out)

musical1.jpg

We even took them up tryfan!!

DSCN1764.JPG

:beerchug:

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
It couldn’t get much better than having June “The Queen Of Folk” Tabor sitting by your campfire singing, as only she surely can, the beautifully crafted “Pull Down Lads” and, of course, TOTALLY unaccompanied please.

June disagrees with me but I maintain that her 1975 BBC “In Session” version of this song is far superior to that you will find on her debut album Airs & Graces.

Here are the words with at least a nod to the outdoor life:

Pull down lads, pass the bevvy round lads,
"Ta'ra" to Sylvie, "Ta'ra" to Jean, we'll soon be on the road,
Don't think on what you're leaving, don't think on what you've found,
Just tear off the tilt, pull out the chat, we'll find another ground.

Pull down lads, it wasn't a bad ground lads,
We've made some brass, you've had a lass, it's perhaps as well we're going,
I know how it can hurt, lads, to leave her standing here,
For there's often fears and there's always tears, but you'll be back next year.

Pull down lads, the sets are cooling down lads,
The ox all packed and the dodgems stacked, a bite of scran then go,
We'll leave it as we found it, they'll soon forget we've been,
For we trade in fun and we go and come, we're often scorned but seldom mourned,
I hope you'll know what I mean.

Cheers!

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Skippy said:

agreed. saw and heard one of these at the course I went on recently. Such a nice sound, got to have a play as well...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE