Lost

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SowthEfrikan

Tenderfoot
Jul 9, 2006
Texas, USA
So there you are in the great outdoors, only to find you aren't where you thought you were.

What advice do people who regularly bundu-bash have for those of us who are just starting out routefinding on our own?

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
Normally, you would have adequate gear with you and the ability to use the gear to see you through your trip, or even an extended stay. Also, you should have let someone know where you were going and when you would return. That way you could just set up camp and they can get the ball rolling on getting you rescued. If you didn't let someone know where you were going and when you would return, then you need to sit down, make a fire if allowed and have a hot drink. The idea is to gather your wits about you, calm your nerves and then you can start to figure out where you went wrong. Don't rush into making any rash decisions, or taking unnecessary chances. The wrong decisions and actions can be life threatening.

Depending on your skills, there might be some questions you should ask yourself before attempting to do anything. Do you have a map of the area that shows landmarks, etc., as well as a compass? If not, do you have the necessary skills to backtrack to your starting point? Do you know the original direction you were heading? How long did it take you to get to where you are? How's the weather looking? How much daylight is left? What do you need to do to get camp ready and enough wood for the night? If nothing else, it will help you to figure out what options you have.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
I have to agree with RovingArcher. I've found myself lost on multiple occasions (my routefinding skills er... leave a little to be desired) whether intending on actually camping or just going for a day out... one often feels the urge to look around all day trying to find your way back, but if it'll leave you in the dark with no camp prepared, don't do it... just find a good sheltered place to camp and make yourself as comfortable as possible and wait until morning, would be my advice..

Alternatively, I normally go walking and/or camping in quite hilly places, and a few times I've been able to find my way back just by climbing a hill and looking for something familiar and heading towards it. Obviously that's of no use if you're, say, in flat woodland, of course, and still ill advised if it's near night, can't say I'd fancy descending a rocky northern scotland hill in the dark...

I guess tracking can be useful twofold; keeping an eye out for animals, and for keeping an eye out for your own trail home!

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Roving Rich said:
You beat me to it Chris - I was gonna point to the same link. ONe of the best articles I have ever read.

Cheers
Rich

Me too,based on common sense and with real practical advice.One of the best "you don't have to die" articles going. :)

Would it be possible to reproduce it in the magazine?

directdrive

Forager
Oct 22, 2005
USA
Hi: One of the most important things IMHO about not getting lost is to ALWAYS watch your back trail. Stop often, look back the way you've come from and get that sight picture in your mind. Look for references such as rock outcroppings, oddly shaped bushes or trees and other such things. This practice has always served me well. However, in certain places, the terrain is such that even this won't help. I've been lost on a number of occasions when there were no reference points on my back trail. Once in an enormous swamp. Everything was so identical that there was nothing significant at all. Another time, I was lost in an area with no trees, just thick brush and the ground flat as a pancake. Both times, I had failed to bring a compass and the sky was covered with a low overcast so that the sun was not visible. In both instances, I decided to strike out in a straight line. In both instances, I walked for miles until I saw human footprints only to discover they were my own. I'd walked what I thought was a perfectly straight line only to find I'd walked in a huge right-hand circle and wound up where I began! In the swamp, I eventually just lucked out and found a game trail that eventually led to a footpath which eventually led to a mud logging road that eventually came out of the swamp. In the brushy area, the land began to very gradually slope and I followed the slope to a creek. The area I was in was south of a large river. All creeks and drainages flowed north. By following the creek, I found the river, followed it's banks and eventually came to a bridge and a way out.
Always bring a compass and know how to use it. Always check a map of the area you are going into and know your landmarks and reference points. Always check your backtrail.

Good Luck

Bruce

directdrive said:
Hi: One of the most important things IMHO about not getting lost is to ALWAYS watch your back trail.

Sort of off topic, but a friend of mine got lost in the Malaysian jungle and I'm afraid that I still laugh at him now, although I guess it wouldn't have been so funny if things had gone wrong.

A gang of us went out for a meal a few weeks after he got home and we took him a present - 'Gillatt's Patent Jungle Tracking Device' - a very large ball of string, with instructions to tie one end to a tree at the start point and when he runs out of string, to turn round and follow the string back again.

You can read and hear his story here : http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/hometruths/20050418_junglejohn.shtml

SowthEfrikan

Tenderfoot
Jul 9, 2006
Texas, USA
Thanks for all the replies - remember seeing that posted on drudgereport.com at the time your friend was lost, glad he made it out OK.

The sitting down for tea is so very, very British and I love it!

And I am definitely going to be looking back often - great tip.

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Womble_Lancs said:
Sort of off topic, but a friend of mine got lost in the Malaysian jungle and I'm afraid that I still laugh at him now, although I guess it wouldn't have been so funny if things had gone wrong.

A gang of us went out for a meal a few weeks after he got home and we took him a present - 'Gillatt's Patent Jungle Tracking Device' - a very large ball of string, with instructions to tie one end to a tree at the start point and when he runs out of string, to turn round and follow the string back again.

You can read and hear his story here : http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/hometruths/20050418_junglejohn.shtml

It is no fun being lost there. Was it the Cameron Highlands?

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
SowthEfrikan said:
So there you are in the great outdoors, only to find you aren't where you thought you were.

What advice do people who regularly bundu-bash have for those of us who are just starting out routefinding on our own?

That's a difficult question to answer as it is dependant on so many things. As others have said it's always a good idea to keep an eye on the route you took in and if you do become lost then it's good practice to stop and think about what to do rather than rush into anything.

Do not be affraid to go back the way you came and certainly don't push on blindly hoping you'll pick up your intended route sooner or later. Stop, work out where you went wrong if you can and if you can't then go back the way you came until you know where you are again.

It's also dependant on who is with you and what you are carrying. If you have left route cards then it's imperitive that you stay still....each time you move you increase the odds of not being found, I cannot remember the exact details but Preben Mortenson (runs the whole Varmlands area s&r teams in Sweden) told us that people are lost each year and cannot be found because they kept moving, whereas those that stayed put were usually found within a few hours.
If you are not expecting rescue and haven't told anybody where you are going then you have a choice to make and walking out may be a good call.

When I was in the TA we were given very simple advice for getting lost in UK mountains.
1)Walk down hill until you find a stream
2)Walk down steam until you find a road
3)Walk down the road until you find a house/village/farm/telephone
It might take you a while and you may not end up were you wanted to be but you will get to safety sooner of later.

In somewhere like a lowland enviroment you are likely to know the wider area even if you don't know the specific place you are in, you may live in the county and have an idea of it's geography or be visiting and so have looked at a map of the area before hand to know to come there. For example if you are in the woods just south east of the little town of Lyndhurst and you find you are hopelessly lost you need to decide which way you want to go.....head north and you know you'll hit a road (B3056) and you can follow that northwest to the town....or head due west and you'll hit another road (A337) and you can follow that north to the town. If you went south you'd hit the B3055 (you'd also find a railway track depending on how far north or south you started from) and if you went west you'd hit either the traintracks or the B3056. Whichever way you walk you will hit a road somewhere and can get assistance there.
If you've only seen the map briefly you may well not remember the road names, that doesn't matter....what you must remember is the box around your location formed by the roads and any major obsticles like the traintracks, then you have a very rough idea of the best way to head.

Now somewhere like Arizona is very different, a lot of the water courses are dry and most rivers flow underground in the southeastern parts I have visited. Add this to the fact that the place is soooooo much bigger and you can have problems following the above methods, however, the second method does still apply, it just takes longer to do. You may also choose to do your long walk out at night when it's a little cooler..as I said it's different in each enviroment.

If you have a compass then the above methods are easy, if you don't then you would need to use the sun or other natural indicators.

Hope that helps :D

Cheers,

Bam. :D

malcolmc

Forager
Jun 10, 2006
Wiltshire
www.webwessex.co.uk
bambodoggy said:
...When I was in the TA we were given very simple advice for getting lost in UK mountains.
1)Walk down hill until you find a stream
2)Walk down steam until you find a road
3)Walk down the road until you find a house/village/farm/telephone
It might take you a while and you may not end up were you wanted to be but you will get to safety sooner of later...:D

When I started hillwalking I bought a book on survial (so long ago, cann't remeber title or author) which also advised you can always follow a stream off a hill if you are lost. Problably not the best advice if visability is restricted; water will find the quickest way down, is that really the path you want to take? :aargh4:

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I don't think it's implying that you go climbing down a waterfall or anything silly so if the water became too steep you'd go back to stage one and just walk down hill (safely) until you found a less steep stream.

And what's the alternative? Wonder around the top of the mountains lost and waiting for hypothermia to set in? You've got to get off the mountains somehow bearing in mind you're lost and this method (albiet with a little common sence and discression) will almost always work.

I take your point but I think you were also taking the idea too rigidly ;)

Cheers,

Bam. :)

SowthEfrikan

Tenderfoot
Jul 9, 2006
Texas, USA
I've just had my hubby listen to the story of John G also - trying to knock down that male instinct to keep going as we will be heading into the wilds of Charon Gardens in Oklahoma's Wichita Mountains soon. Again, thanks - keep all these great tips coming! :)

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
There are many variables to land navigation. Such as declination, the offset of true and magnetic north. When using a map, there are variables like the survey used to make the map. Maps are not 100% accurate either, particularly manmade objects are always out of true scale. When using a GPS, there are the variables such as matching the survey Datum to that of your map, you could be miles off if not set correctly. GPS devices often suffer accuracy in dense woods and in narrow canyons.
You have to learn how to plot GPS information to your map to correctly plot where you are. There are a variety of method available and most need special plotting tools to accurately plot a position to your maps. Maps vary much in scales, each part of the world may be scaled differently, depending on who printed the map.
A pace counting technique should be employed and you must know how many paces you take to travel 100 meters, in uphill, downhill, flat terrain. One persons count will differ vastly to another persons. A counter should be used to keep an accurate count of paces. In the SF we used "Ranger beads", or if being quiet is not important, you can use little mechanical counters. Not each pace is counted on the counter ot beads, perhaps each 10. Example, for me 60 left foot hits is my pace count for 100m on flat ground. I would count 10 left steps, that is ONE on my counter. when I reach TEN on my counter, I have traveled 100m on flat terrain.
All navigation depends on knowing your starting point. A good technique is to use "deliberate offset" to reach a specific point. Say you are trying to navigate to a trail junction, a "T", from a dense forrest. Make a point to deliberately navigate to one of the trails, left or right of the junction and then travel the trail until you reach the junction. Remember, manmade objects (trails, roads, buildings) are not true scale on a map!
There are many good books on navigation with map and compass and GPS and should be read until understood and navigation needs lots of practice in the field. Once you master it, you should keep practicing. It is easy to forget a step or mis plot a destination and get off track.
Some compasses have a feature called delination adjustment built in. Say your map has a declination of 15 degrees East from true north. You can preset that into the compass so plotting on the map already accounts for the variation in magnetic to true north when using the compass to follow. These compasses are great, except when you forget to change the settings or set it backwards. You could easily be 30 degrees off the desired course if the compass was set 15 degrees West delination and your map is 15 degrees East declination! The reason they put a mirror on that type compass is so you can readily see who is lost:) I do use one of these compasses, they are the best. I have a military model that does not come with the adjustment feature. Better to do the math and double check it. Always carry a pencil and paper for notes, etc.
Keeping track of where you have been is also important, look back often and remember key terrain features. This usually is not much help in dense wood or jungle but should not be overlooked, There is usually some feature that stands out and can be used for orientation.
Some recommended reading:
Be Expert with Map and Compass by Bjorn Hijellstrom
U.S. Army Map Reading and Land Navigation Handbook
Gps Made Easy: Using Global Positioning Systems in the Outdoors by L. Lethem
The Wilderness Route Finder by Calvin Rutstrum
Good websites:
http://www.wildernessmanuals.com/manual_1/index.html
http://www.maptools.com/

I hope some of that helps. Cheers!

malcolmc

Forager
Jun 10, 2006
Wiltshire
www.webwessex.co.uk
bambodoggy said:
...I take your point but I think you were also taking the idea too rigidly ;) ...
Bam. :)
Sorry bambodoggy, just getting carried away with my warped sense of humour. :rolleyes:

Using a watercourse to get down from a hill is perfectly valid if you can see where you’re going.

Part of my response was because I felt slightly ripped off by the book I’d paid good money for specifically to find out the right way to handle a particular situation - seen the topic was covered whilst bookshop browsing but when I read the detail I felt the author hadn’t experienced the conditions I had. It meant I felt I couldn’t trust any of the advice in that book. It was a long time ago and I should have got over it by now! :)

The reason I was seeking advice was that in my early days of heading out into the wilds I fouled up; got caught up a hill with fast (boy, was it quick) weather change and I was seriously unprepared (the oh dear, this situation could be a tad difficult – or words to that effect – moment). I got away with it with nothing more than an extra shot of adrenalin, but it was a wake up call.

I’ve had a different approach to safety since then.

I do appreciate your posts. :You_Rock_

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
No Worries Malcolm, I think it's a good thing to discuss what people have said in a thread and not just blindly believe it :) This would be a question and answer board otherwise and the discussion is what makes it a more useful site.

It was very basic advice and something of a last resort......squaddie proof lol ;)

Glad to hear you made it off ok that time and that it obviously hasn't put you off going back into the hills :)

All the best,

Bam. :D

TAHAWK

Nomad
Jan 9, 2004
Ohio, U.S.A.
This is simple, but perhaps simplicity might serve best under the stress of finding yourself lost.

STOP

S: Stop. Sit down. Take a deep breath. Relax.

T: Think. Where was I when I last knew I was not lost? What do I already know about the general lay of the land in this area? What does my map tell me? Can I retrace my steps? Will I be missed and, if so, when? Will responsible persons know to look for me here?

O: Observe. What do I see around me? Any obvious landmarks? What do I have with me? What time is available before dark? What is the weather look like it is likely to do? Is this a good place to shelter for the night?

P: Plan What is the smart course of action? What are my priorities? What can I do?

Alchemist

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
Hampshire
I dont want to give you a map lesson or rephrase what has been said, but...

1-Stop, chill out.
2- Locate GPS.
3- Of all my navigation skills, I have found DDCRAPS extremely useful

Distance. How far is that woodline old boy?
Direction. Bearings to and from.
Conventional signs. Church, pylons, sign to MacDonalds.
Relief. See the contour lines in 3D.
Alignment. Set the map
Proximity. Similar to distance, but look at features compared to each other.
Shape. eg T shaped woods.

4- Action on lost. For example, if lost walk due south until you hit main road, flag a lift.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
SowthEfrikan said:

plenty of this already and all good advice - stuff that doesn't move is most likely to still be on your map. I had a big arguament with a regular infantry officer as to our location on salisbury training area - I was attached and pathfinding for him and knew exactly where we were but he was confused because the map showed different forest and field boundries. I marched him a 100m down the track pointed out the three hills in a distinctive pattern and the road to orientate the map and pointed out that the map revision was 10 years older than the map, 5 mins later he agreed and carried on leading from the front as I'd decided he needed the practise. unfortunately the umpires ruled his platoon inefective after he led them into an ambush by following the track but thats another story :D

the amercans concentrate more on terrain than we do as their landscape has fewer features than the UK.

another usefull method is not to adjust for magnetic deviation that way when marching on a bearing to find a gate for example you will know that when you hit the wall you only have to look in one direction to find it - you know you are wrong but you know which way you are wrong.

timing is also a feature for estimating your error if you've been walking for 10 minutes and you realised you've messed up then you know that you should only be between 500-800m out on place so should be able to correct. if you want practise then follow a scout of d of e expedition (or any teenage group) as you can follow when and where they go wrong and how they try to rectify it. when in doubt backtrack till you know where you are then try again.

sometimes its worth waiting till night when that loverly orange city glow hits the sky and you have something to aim for in the morning.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE