Hard wearing trousers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Scally

C.E.S.L Notts explorers
Oct 10, 2004
uk but want to emigrate to NZ
looking to buy a new pair of trousers for wear when out in the woods?
must be bomb proof?
big bloke give clothing hammer?
strengthend butt area and knee area ?
up to about £60.00
comfy ?
big belt loops
slightly water repellent?
what do you wear and why and whats good and whats bad?
done a search and not come up with anything special please help?

p.s no converts from trousers to shorts not good to kneel with chaff around thighs and knees all other comments appreciated.
thanks

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
Save your money - go for british army lightweights, bombproof, fast drying, last for years and cost about £5 (the choice of real bushcrafters ;) )
Neil

S

Siecroz

Neil1 said:
Save your money - go for british army lightweights, bombproof, fast drying, last for years and cost about £5 (the choice of real bushcrafters ;) )
Neil

hmm... and shrink wrap you if they get near a fire :) lol

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
The Fjallraven Forrester is a great pair of trousers, but above your £60 price level. Flecktarn combat trousers are comfortable and tough if you don't mind camo.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Craghoppers kiwi trousers. Absolutly bomb proof, enough large pocket to be useful but not to many to make you look like a chest of drawers. about £30. reinforces knees and ar#e. And there is a nice choice of colours if you don't fancy that 'could have been a para, but arn't' look :rolleyes:

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
Siecroz said:
hmm... and shrink wrap you if they get near a fire :) lol

Never had that problem, I have been using them round fires for 25 or so years. More important is that they dry quickly and are hard wearing.
Bushcrafting usaully means a lot of time on your knees, either firelighting or crafting or cooking. If you are getting thru a pair of trousers every six months you don't want to be paying £60 a time.
Polycotton workwear is very good in an outdoor environment (jungle lightwieghts for example) .
Recently I got a pair of half weight german moleskins, very good item, but I have'nt been using them long enough to recommend them.
Neil

Harmonica

Forager
Jul 16, 2006
Clara Vale, Tyne and Wear
I wear Regatta Action 2 trousers. They have reinforced knees and backside so are very hardwearing, they are slightly water repelant (until they have been washed a few times!) have loads of useful zipped pockets and cost only £16 a pair so if they only last a short time you haven't lost much (I have had the same three pairs for over a year now and they are only starting to look worn despiteth fact that i wear them most days).

Cheapest palce i have found to buy is www.wildday.com (I am not affiliated with the site in any way except having been a satisfied customer.

Tack

Tenderfoot
Feb 20, 2005
West Midlands
Hi,
I've got a pair of Fjallraven Foresters and a pair of Iceland trousers by the same manufacturer and they are superior to anything I've ever worn. Lighter and more comfortable than any of the army surplus stuff and partially waterproof. The Icelands are more versatile pocket wise but are also more expensive.
Tack

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
stinkymilo said:
Try looking at the range of clothes by Dickies. It's all for the work environment but it's tough and cheap.

although they are usually blue and therefore not "Bushcraft fashionable" ;) stuff like Dickies, Snickers and other kegs that joiners, sparks and so on wear is good stuff as it's usualy got knees that have double thickness material (and even a pocket to put knee pads in) and an back side that seems strong enough to hold an 18 stone plumbers butt mostly on the inside of them :)
Plenty pockets also.

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
:)
I use the american three colour 'desert camo' which I have dyed green.. They are ripstop, very light and tough and cheap!

You need about two pairs of trousers and two jackets to a packet of leaf green dye and one pound of salt. Hot wash at 90 degrees, wash again with powder and its done.

I have dyed them so they are less 'military camo' and more 'soft shades'. They look more like the expensive trendy walking trouers than hard core survivor gear. The point being I got two jackets and two pair of trousers for just under £40.

Sandsnakes

:)

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Market stall Southall! Brave the crowds and a Saturday and there a few blokes selling kit. The important thing is to haggle, I gave the bloke a fresh spare coffee!

Also there are a couple of blokes on ebay selling new for a reasonable price about £16 for trousers.

Cheers

Sandsnakes :)

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Mentioned these in another thread and still rate them as good value, hardwearing and comfortable. Available in plain olive too if you’re not into camo.

Cheers

infantry_cargo_trousers.jpg

SunDog

Forager
Oct 14, 2005
South Coast
I noticed a lot of people wearing "Craghopper" trousers at the Bushmoot, all the same style and colour, maybe from a group buy in the past? Was wondering if anyone can tell me the type (kiwi maybe?) and colour? And cheapest place to buy them?! Any ideas?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE