Karrimor jaguar advice?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Sieddy

Nov 12, 2016
Oxford uk
Hi guys happy new year to one n' all. I recently acquired an old Karrimor jaguar 2 Rucksack. Its in good nick seems like a pretty decent bit of kit and I love its vintage look. However when I used it at Christmas (sadly just to bring shopping home from Aldi! ) I found it really uncomfortable to carry.
The ends of the frame uprights dug into my lower back on both sides just above my bum. I wonder if I rig the straps differently I might alleviate the problem.
Anyone experienced similar and knows how to sort it?
Thanks Simon

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Hi guys happy new year to one n' all. I recently acquired an old Karrimor jaguar 2 Rucksack. Its in good nick seems like a pretty decent bit of kit and I love its vintage look. However when I used it at Christmas (sadly just to bring shopping home from Aldi! ) I found it really uncomfortable to carry.
The ends of the frame uprights dug into my lower back on both sides just above my bum. I wonder if I rig the straps differently I might alleviate the problem.
Anyone experienced similar and knows how to sort it?
Thanks Simon

Hi Sieddy; Happy New Year.

I don't know how the Jaguar 2 compares but I have an old Jaguar S65 that is as comfortable now as it was over thirty years ago when I bought it. It's still my multi-day trek pack. You have to buy Karrimor SF gear now to get anywhere near the same quality.

If it is the same patented adjustable back system that mine has there are two things you could try. 1) the aluminium is reasonably malleable and it was always intended that it could be shaped to fit individuals; I suggest you could try easing the bottom of the strips away from you. 2) the back length is adjustable by the two straps shown in the last photo below; you could raise the whole frame a little away from your bum.

I should point out that even with the pack sitting well on my hips the 'frame' is nowhere near touching me.

I hope that helps.

2020-01-11 09.55.12.jpg

2020-01-11 09.55.51.jpg

2020-01-11 09.57.29.jpg

Reactions: Nomad64

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
What Broch said!

Great packs - I have the Condor which came with the same (and at the time -1980s pretty revolutionary) adjustable back system and a lifetime guarantee from the old Karrimor company - I once dropped it in to the factory in Lancashire when I was passing and had some stitching fixed at no charge while I wait, can’t see Mike Ashley doing that these days.

Shoulder straps a bit thin for me these days for heavy loads (I’ve had ops on both shoulders) but no reason why a “normal” person could not adjust the back system to get comfortable.

Sieddy

Nov 12, 2016
Oxford uk
Thanks for the input fellas. My pack does look quite different from yours Broch, the back doesn't appear to be adjustable. But I've not got it to hand right now so I'll check it out in the week. Also the frame seems pretty solid but I'll not be averse to give it a gentle tug (as it were!).
Your pack looks great and I love mine. It's great to have a nice bit of kit designed and made in the UK.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Thanks for the input fellas. My pack does look quite different from yours Broch, the back doesn't appear to be adjustable. But I've not got it to hand right now so I'll check it out in the week. Also the frame seems pretty solid but I'll not be averse to give it a gentle tug (as it were!).
Your pack looks great and I love mine. It's great to have a nice bit of kit designed and made in the UK.

Karrimor SF ( a completely different company to the Sports Direct subsid.) still make excellent kit but it's very military looking. It's a real shame that the two companies get mixed up or rather, it's a shame that SD still sell under the Karrimor name.

Reactions: Nomad64

Sieddy

Nov 12, 2016
Oxford uk
Karrimor SF ( a completely different company to the Sports Direct subsid.) still make excellent kit but it's very military looking. It's a real shame that the two companies get mixed up or rather, it's a shame that SD still sell under the Karrimor name.
Cheers for the info Brock. Sadly that's the way of most things these days. It's great that some small companies are still producing quality kit!
I don't think my packs ever been top o' the range, but I like it!
It doesn't have the adjustable back and the frame seems pretty solid and I'm loathe to tug it too much. I'll have a play around with it over the next few months and hopefully I'll get so it doesn't cause me discomfort!

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
The original Karrimor Jags were not adjustable. They came in 3 back lengths, so it was important to try them on loaded. I fitted (and still fit) a size 2. I have bought some Jags on eBay and still use them - I wore out my first but still have it to carry the Scout parachute: 37 years and still viable for basic carrying but not backpacking.
The Jag 2 was the smallest pack with side pockets. I found it really good for trips. The sizing was VITAL, however: my wife had a size 1 which she found uncomfortable and which I could not use with weight in it because it stabbed me around the kidneys.
I suspect that you have the same pack and the same problem. If you do, I don't think you will be able to fix it.
Sorry to be the bringer of bad news.
ATB

Reactions: Sieddy

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
In which case I am confused. My Jaguar S65 bought in the eighties is definitely adjustable! Were there two ranges called Jaguar?

I’m not familiar with the pre-SA Karrimor packs but FWIW, this vid clearly shows an early 1980s non-adjustable Jaguar.

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Hi, Broch,
At the end of the 70s and early 80s the non- adjustable version was it, but an adjustable version arrived mid-80s. I bought one but didn't get on with it as the system slipped in use. I replaced it with a Berghaus Cyclops Alp (size 2, fixed back) which I still have.

Sieddy

Nov 12, 2016
Oxford uk
Aha now we get to it. Thanks Docg cos I was looking at mine scratching my head saying 'sure don't look adjustable to me!
Oh well I'll have to put it in the swap shop cos it's dead uncomfortable for me with any weight in it. Cheers chaps!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE