For the Skrama fans

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
The Finnish Armed Forces will thank me. They can use the SchramaSeax System to cut efficiently through the barbed wire on the Russian border, before the long overdue invasion/retaking of Karelen, Petsamo and Salla.
Excellent idea, or what?

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
National borders around Russia in any of its many incarnations are a continuous problem.

I don't think the people would really be a problem, the real worry is the huge amount of waste, radioactive, chemical and other that can be found everywhere. As an example some small islands in the Gulf of Finland are out of bounds because the navigation beacons used batteries containing radioactive material, the old ones were often just left lying there and they corroded ...

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
A quick heads-up for anyone considering the purchase of any Varusteleka Terävä product...Today i received an email from their Propaganda Machine relating a price rise for all Terävä items after 2nd April 2020. Currently only the Skrama 200 will not increase in price as it is on backorder in any case. So crack on with your order if you're humming and hah-ing as it will cost more soon! :)

Cheers, Bob (no affiliation, just a satisfied customer)

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
A quick heads-up for anyone considering the purchase of any Varusteleka Terävä product...Today i received an email from their Propaganda Machine relating a price rise for all Terävä items after 2nd April 2020. Currently only the Skrama 200 will not increase in price as it is on backorder in any case. So crack on with your order if you're humming and hah-ing as it will cost more soon! :)

Cheers, Bob (no affiliation, just a satisfied customer)
Thanks Bob. You have one of their puukkos don't you? I don't recall which one it was, but seem to remember that you were happy with it (& you are a satisfied customer after all!)

A few quick questions if I may: what length blade did you get, are you still happy with it and/or would you choose the other one if buying today?

(As you may guess I'm thinking of buying one before the price rise. I've had a Skrama for quite a while and like it a lot by the way.)

Hope you're both doing well!

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Hi Dave, I hope you and yours are all well. Our move to Somerset has seen us start a new life effectively. We are loving it :)

I have actually bought quite a lot from Varusteleka and have been very impressed with all of it. On the puukko side I bought the Jääkäripuukko 140, Carbon Steel, with the snap locked leather sheath. It takes a good edge and retains it. It appears to be unbreakable in most modes of (ab)use and still cleans up well. I have nicked the sheath once or twice but that is just useage and doesn’t bother me at all. While new the sheath is very stiff but loosens up a bit with use. The snap fastening takes a little while to get used to but is very secure and hasn’t given me any worries. I have given the sheath a going over with Ko Cho Line treatment but it probably didn’t need it. I would point out that I haven’t used the knife for any kind of extended carving sessions because I handle blades myself to suit my hands for that kind of work, but the handle itself is fine for general use. The shorter bladed version may well be better for carving etc. Like most stuff I take into the woods the handle now bears a bright orange paracord blaze tied through the exposed hole at the butt end of the tang. I have found that handy on more than one occasion;) .

I was in the other camp, in that I was considering a Skrama, but as I have a couple of GB axes to cover those areas of work I can’t really justify one. Apparently I have “enough bladed tools” according to SWMBLT!

All the best, Bob

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
Hi Dave, I hope you and yours are all well. Our move to Somerset has seen us start a new life effectively. We are loving it :)

I have actually bought quite a lot from Varusteleka and have been very impressed with all of it. On the puukko side I bought the Jääkäripuukko 140, Carbon Steel, with the snap locked leather sheath. It takes a good edge and retains it. It appears to be unbreakable in most modes of (ab)use and still cleans up well. I have nicked the sheath once or twice but that is just useage and doesn’t bother me at all. While new the sheath is very stiff but loosens up a bit with use. The snap fastening takes a little while to get used to but is very secure and hasn’t given me any worries. I have given the sheath a going over with Ko Cho Line treatment but it probably didn’t need it. I would point out that I haven’t used the knife for any kind of extended carving sessions because I handle blades myself to suit my hands for that kind of work, but the handle itself is fine for general use. The shorter bladed version may well be better for carving etc. Like most stuff I take into the woods the handle now bears a bright orange paracord blaze tied through the exposed hole at the butt end of the tang. I have found that handy on more than one occasion;) .

I was in the other camp, in that I was considering a Skrama, but as I have a couple of GB axes to cover those areas of work I can’t really justify one. Apparently I have “enough bladed tools” according to SWMBLT!

All the best, Bob
Many thanks Bob. I'm sure you must have come across the mathematical formula which applies to bladed tools, whereby the number you need is N+1? N of course referring to the number you have now.
I am tempted by the 110 in fact - but have been challenged in a similar way, so we'll see. The Skrama is great fun by the way....

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Thanks Bob. You have one of their puukkos don't you? I don't recall which one it was, but seem to remember that you were happy with it (& you are a satisfied customer after all!)

A few quick questions if I may: what length blade did you get, are you still happy with it and/or would you choose the other one if buying today?

(As you may guess I'm thinking of buying one before the price rise. I've had a Skrama for quite a while and like it a lot by the way.)

Hope you're both doing well!

I’ve had both and kept the 140. I found the 4mm thick blade a bit too chunky on the smaller knife, but perfect for the 140 which, as mentioned, is pretty bombproof, very good at batoning.

Reactions: Dark Horse Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE