Buffalo S6 - is the pile lining in the sleeves meant to be loose?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I got a special 6 shirt just over a year ago and I've not been that pleased the way the cuffs roll out. This exposed the pile inner and looked bad.

Last weekend on a local walk I found out by holding the pile inner layer and pulling the outer down at the bottom of the sleeve I could correct this. The pile effectively moved in relation to the pertex outer layer.

It felt exactly like when I do that with my rab vapour rise jacket. That has a design with a completely loose drop liner of micro pile. This pile tends to grip inner clothing layers so this style of adjustment is commonly needed. I thought the pile on buffalo is bonded to the outer pertex. It shouldn't move should it?

Anyone else experience this with buffalo double p clothing? Any advice or suggestions? It is annoying me now.

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
I got a special 6 shirt just over a year ago and I've not been that pleased the way the cuffs roll out. This exposed the pile inner and looked bad.

Last weekend on a local walk I found out by holding the pile inner layer and pulling the outer down at the bottom of the sleeve I could correct this. The pile effectively moved in relation to the pertex outer layer.

It felt exactly like when I do that with my rab vapour rise jacket. That has a design with a completely loose drop liner of micro pile. This pile tends to grip inner clothing layers so this style of adjustment is commonly needed. I thought the pile on buffalo is bonded to the outer pertex. It shouldn't move should it?

Anyone else experience this with buffalo double p clothing? Any advice or suggestions? It is annoying me now.

Pile liner on mine is separate from the pertex shell on my Buffalo top.

No experience of the RAB Vapour Rise top but if you are wearing clothes under a Buffalo top, you are defeating the whole point of the system.

http://www.buffalosystems.co.uk/products/special-6-shirt/

Should really be worn almost like a wetsuit (and almost as snug fitting) so the pile is in contact with the skin - which is fine until they need to be unzipped for ventilation! :emoji_see_no_evil:

IMHO, Buffalo gear should only be worn far away from human habitation and/or only in the company of consenting adults! ;)

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Yet Montane version says over wicking base layer. Same principle, very similar materials / construction.

I wear base layer under buffalo at times and under rab VR. I have worn buffalo as you're supposed to as well. It depends what I'm doing and where I am plus conditions.

I very much doubt it's resulting in significant reduction in performance. Not least because I use PP base layers which is probably the most efficient material for wicking.

It seems the pile is a drop liner like VR from Rab and aiui marmot driclime softshell is also a drop liner. The original softshell wasn't a drop liner. Think Inuit fur lined clothing I believe was probably like the original softshell, buffalo designer looked to their clothing for inspiration.

Thanks for confirming it's a loose, drop liner. So there's nothing wrong with the shirt. It's just another annoying cuff like the original Paramo jackets back when they tried to promote the idea hook and loop closure of cuffs fail on cold with snow.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE