Sawhorse, a primitive one

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Sorry, sorry, missed that!

I think the saw horse will move uncomfortable when sawing. Risk of slipping, and we all know how nasty a cut with a saw is!

I like the top construction, will last forever!

(Not editing my speelink mistake above:). )

Sundowner

Jan 21, 2013
Northumberland
Excellent. Those kinds of shop furnishings seem to last for decades like old friends.
Its funny you're saying this as I can't wait to use it again. So far I've only sawn a bit if kindling for the neighbour, who, oddly enough admires the simplicity of it, and made a mallet using the "vice".
Next will be a kuksa !!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
You get used to it. It's familiar. You run your hands over the wood for memories of the making.
As you plan your project of the day. All the parts are in place. Looks modestly "bash-worthy".

Hope you find some good wood for the kuksa, birch burl is supposed to be select.

I have built such a bench for my larger story-pole carvings. I need to sit and be above the wood.
All dry, no glue, just lots of big bolts and threaded rods. Very bash worthy 4" x 4" cedar fence post.
Those lag bolt eyes are exactly at knee-capping height.
STORY C.JPG

Sundowner

Jan 21, 2013
Northumberland
This is only a rough idea, I still have to work on the sides of the cut out so that pads and wedges press pieces of wood down instead of up!!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Thank you, I know that "squeeze out." Real pain in the bottom. Shows me that I'd better make some robust wedges.
I have some crappy bulk wood blocks to fill in like your log!

In my picture, the wood block under the front of the pole has two copper pipe pegs inderneath.
There are multiple sets of holes so I can move that block.
The red strap clamp does help to stop project wood from jumping up.

I went to the auto wreckers and bought a scissor jack from a small car.
Laid on its side, it provides no end of horizontal clamping pressure.
But most times, the damn project buckles and pops up.
Especially when hit repeatedly with a mallet & gouge.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
True, but they left precious little for instruction and advice.
Still, it's really nice to lean over the wood and do some shaping.

Nobody ever published a drawing of the medieval trigger mechanism in a big trebuchet.
I built 14 of them. I can make a perfectly good trigger without a gram of metal.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
I had one pretty much the same arrangement. Except the 3 legs were about 2 1/2 to 3 inch diameter. splayed out slightly more than yours. It was fine for holding large pieces firm for adzing things like dishes or plates. One day the builders who were doing some extension works, dropped a scaffold pole from roof height, it smacked square down on the top beam and promptly snapped clean off all three legs where they were tapered into the top. I should of used oak instead of birch for the legs, that wouldn't of happened...the pole would of bent!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE