Puukko advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
The Helle Viking looks like a fairly traditional take on a puuko. I might be worth a look. I know nothing about it but the brand seems to be fairly well thought of.

On a slightly pricier front, I have got a puuko made by Mark Jacobs. It's wonderful. It might be worth asking if he's got any more in the pipeline...

Helle knives are Made in Norway. Top notch quality, they have been making knives since the 1930's.
One of the few (5?) remaining larger scale knife manufacturers left in Scandinavia. (Casstrom, Fallkniven and others are not making any knives)
The Helle Viking is a recreation of a blade from a Viking grave excavation.
If steel is expensive, the blacksmith of average skill and the end user uses it everyday, this is what a blade will look like.

Pure function. No BS.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
I have the Benchmade Puukko 200 and would not recommend to the OP for a number of reasons. I would be hesitant to recommend it to anyone without a lot of qualifiers. It does e...v...e...n...t...u...a...l...l...y take a very nice edge and the steel is nice, but it has a lot of, well, I could call them problems, which some might think is overly critical...so lets say "issues", not least of which, in the UK, is the price. The cost/value isn't good. I have been working on a review too.

Evening Chris, I'd be very interested in your review of the Puukko 200, where could I find it ?

regards

Robbi

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
If you want somthing fancier than a Mora I'd look at marttiini knives. You can get a nice looking workhorse for under £50

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Cost?
It's very well priced for 3v imo

Compare it to anything by Lion Steel.
Yes, it is 3V, but it is an over molded rubber handle and an appalling sheath. On US forums I have seen it described as an advantage that it comes from the factory with a super durable obtuse edge as it gives buyers the chance to re-grind it however they like...granted the same applies to Lion Steel, but not the Finnish knives, or Spyderco knives for that matter. On something with such tough steel, named and sold for outdoor use, I think it is disappointing. Re-grinding 3V isn't great for a novice sharpener.

I have seen it advertised in the US for $125 (£96), which is great, but it is sold in the UK for £159 ($205 at current exchange). I am fully aware that duty and shipping play a part, but for a little while longer you can get better quality from European makers for equal cost. For that money you can have fully 3D contoured CNC textured handle with a far more complex and detailed blade and a hand stitched leather sheath that actually keeps the knife safe. The only issue is that there isn't an exact match in those makers' stables.

I should point out that I actually bought one, have re-ground and re-sheathed it, and have been using it for half a year. If you want 3V then it is a good option, if you just want a good knife, there are better value options out there for UK buyers.

If I had it to do again, would I buy it again? Tough to say. I DO like the edge it has now, and the overall handle shape is good, but I simply loath the grippy texture they have applied. Every time I grip the knife hard (as for sharpening a stake or doing feather sticks) it makes my palm sting. This is not the case for the fatter, smooth handles on my Spydercos, or the CNC textured handles of my own recent builds.

Last edited:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Evening Chris, I'd be very interested in your review of the Puukko 200, where could I find it ?

regards

Robbi
I have not finished writing it yet. Just one more thing in a very long list of projects. Both using the knife and doing the writing have to fit with other craft, woods and writing/admin work and it is being tough to get to it. I also don't want to publish an overly critical piece, my natural tendency is to focus on areas for improvement and not talk about things which perform to requirements, so it isn't just a case of banging down my thoughts. I have to do a lot of editing too. Maybe find some time in some of this stormy weather...

Mr Wolf

Jun 30, 2013
Nottinghamshire
Compare it to anything by Lion Steel.
Yes, it is 3V, but it is an over molded rubber handle and an appalling sheath. On US forums I have seen it described as an advantage that it comes from the factory with a super durable obtuse edge as it gives buyers the chance to re-grind it however they like...granted the same applies to Lion Steel, but not the Finnish knives, or Spyderco knives for that matter. On something with such tough steel, named and sold for outdoor use, I think it is disappointing. Re-grinding 3V isn't great for a novice sharpener.

I have seen it advertised in the US for $125 (£96), which is great, but it is sold in the UK for £159 ($205 at current exchange). I am fully aware that duty and shipping play a part, but for a little while longer you can get better quality from European makers for equal cost. For that money you can have fully 3D contoured CNC textured handle with a far more complex and detailed blade and a hand stitched leather sheath that actually keeps the knife safe. The only issue is that there isn't an exact match in those makers' stables.

I should point out that I actually bought one, have re-ground and re-sheathed it, and have been using it for half a year. If you want 3V then it is a good option, if you just want a good knife, there are better value options out there for UK buyers.

If I had it to do again, would I buy it again? Tough to say. I DO like the edge it has now, and the overall handle shape is good, but I simply loath the grippy texture they have applied. Every time I grip the knife hard (as for sharpening a stake or doing feather sticks) it makes my palm sting. This is not the case for the fatter, smooth handles on my Spydercos, or the CNC textured handles of my own recent builds.
Which spyderco knives are you referring to?

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Which spyderco knives are you referring to?
For edges, UKPK, Bushcraft and Proficient, ready to cut from the go with nothing but a polish, if that. Certainly no great re-profiling job. The Manix I have was pretty good too.

For handles, I was referring to the Bushcraft and Proficient which share a handle design, which drew from the Woodlore and Swamprat designs. I suppose I could also compare to my Hultafors and Mora too, neither of which bite back when squeezed. Shape-wise the Benchmade is pretty good, a little narrow for my taste (I wear a size-8 glove) but much more subtly shaped than most production knives (Fallkniven, Cold Steel, ESEE, and a lot of Bark River's stuff all spring to mind).

Mr Wolf

Jun 30, 2013
Nottinghamshire
For edges, UKPK, Bushcraft and Proficient, ready to cut from the go with nothing but a polish, if that. Certainly no great re-profiling job. The Manix I have was pretty good too.

For handles, I was referring to the Bushcraft and Proficient which share a handle design, which drew from the Woodlore and Swamprat designs. I suppose I could also compare to my Hultafors and Mora too, neither of which bite back when squeezed. Shape-wise the Benchmade is pretty good, a little narrow for my taste (I wear a size-8 glove) but much more subtly shaped than most production knives (Fallkniven, Cold Steel, ESEE, and a lot of Bark River's stuff all spring to mind).
Personally I like the 200 for what it is.
I believe they misnamed it....this should have been named the bugout.
There are some unfair comparisons there price wise.
The bushcraft was overpriced and the proficient is.
But that's what spyderco do,price average users that's likely to damage knives out the equation.

Last edited:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Personally I like the 200 for what it is.
I believe they misnamed it....this should have been named the bugout.
There are some unfair comparisons there price wise.
The bushcraft was overpriced and the proficient is.
But that's what spyderco do,price average users that's likely to damage knives out the equation.

Do you mean comparing the price with European made knives, or do you mean it was unfair comparing the dimensions and texture of its handle with the Spydercos?

The "Bugout" was already taken. Trying to come up with names for knives is remarkably difficult.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Weird how everything has to have a name these days..
Not only that, it seems we need to be able to choose from dozens of brands, each with dozens of models ( each with a catchy name! )

Ant the name / expression ‘knife’ is not enough. Puukko. Seax. Scrama.
Knife.

You need one knife. Learn to use it. Buying more than one - luxury consumption.

My advice for a ‘keeper’?
Contact a knife maker. Tell him what you want to use it for. Tell him the handle size that feels comfortable. Steel type.
He will custom make you a knife you can use for decades.

Last edited:
Reactions: 0000

Mr Wolf

Jun 30, 2013
Nottinghamshire
Do you mean comparing the price with European made knives, or do you mean it was unfair comparing the dimensions and texture of its handle with the Spydercos?

The "Bugout" was already taken. Trying to come up with names for knives is remarkably difficult.
Price point and dimensions to be honest.
In the case of the Bushcraft,that took a few years to get right with the issues it had and no offence the sheath is terrible on that too.

Anyway do you have the older 200 or post 2019 model with improved heat treat? New are 60-62 hrc.
Apologies I'll start a new thread as I'm genuinely interested in your take on the 200

Hootch

Aug 19, 2015
Scotland
Don't worry about the hijack, all interesting stuff. As for me, I went for a Casstrom Woodsman in the end. I'm out of the country at the moment but when I get home I'll put it to use and see how I get on with it. But I'll certainly keep in mind all the comments here. In particular, the idea of having something made to my own requirements. Thanks all!

Reactions: Mr Wolf

Mr Wolf

Jun 30, 2013
Nottinghamshire
Don't worry about the hijack, all interesting stuff. As for me, I went for a Casstrom Woodsman in the end. I'm out of the country at the moment but when I get home I'll put it to use and see how I get on with it. But I'll certainly keep in mind all the comments here. In particular, the idea of having something made to my own requirements. Thanks all!
So you got something completely different....happens to me a lot

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE