Fixing rawhide to mallet

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
I have a lathe turned mallet and some dog chew rawhide which I've soaked and unrolled.

How do I fix the rawhide to the mallet? It's quite damp, not sure if it's a glue job or something that needs little nails or sommat.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
in what way are you thinking of having the rawhide on the mallet? Is it like a Thor mallet that has a rolled up disc of hide as a striking face set into the head, or is it a wrapping of hide around a spindle to create a beetle/maul style mallet?

Glue (wood glue for example) migh work, but the impacts will likely shake it off.Most hide mallets use a small nail to hold the hide together

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Now with added rawhide using glue.
e2b1af4fdbcb4edde9359ed373140460.jpg

Reactions: Robson Valley

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Going to add another layer then I'll put the nails in.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
you'll definitely want some nails in that head Tim. If the first and any subsequent layers are all held on with a very flexible glue (like a silicon adhesive), then it might survive. Rawhide moves more like plastic under impact: flexes over the span yet is rigid under point of impact and the whole thing moves with moisture and temperature changes. So even wit a line of nails, you'll notice it rattle in time. I've never seen a hide mallet wrapped like this and I suspect there is a good reason for it ;)

Reactions: plastic-ninja

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Yeah, I probably wasn't listening when Eric was talking about it.

It's to protect the wood a little. Let's see what happens.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
If such a thing as flexible gelatin exists it might work. Silicone is not going to make it, PU marine goos are the best bet.

Reactions: Janne

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE