Interesting article of British Food Preserving

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
No European wine maker sterilizes the must. Yet they manage to produce the best wine on the planet.
Some crazy ones even press the grapes using their feet........
I’ve had quite a few South African, Brazilian, and Argentinian wines that refute that claim. SOME American wines (albeit limited to special runs)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
...Janne, yeast control in the global wine industry is a major issue with new varieties being developed all the time.
It's a modern mistake to expect random wild yeasts to predictably make award winning vintages.

Maybe you get lucky. Friend of mine found a wild yeast on his grapes which made fabulous bread.
Then one day, it all got "stuck" and died off. Never again.
I suspect that’s a major factor in why the vintage of a certain year is preferred over another year: the preferred year’s vintage licked into just the right yeast whereas the less preferred year had another yeast?

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Wow, i figured there would be some interesting views on this. Just to clarify. we make and preserve a lot of food. We have jam that is 5 years old (and still delicious), charcuterie with a healthy coating of white mould, dried everything, Saukraut and kimchi. I posted up the article as i was interested in the different take on preserving in the USA compared with Europe. I'm not a micro biologist or food scientist, just interested in how different cultures store food long term.
I use the prague powders in my charcuterie, but for all my other goodies just either salts, sugars, alcohols or vinegars.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Yeah, it keeps it looking pretty on the shelf in the supermarket. It means they can claim it's 'healthier', and they use chemicals instead of enough sugar or salt. They can put a Use By date and a Sell By date so that stock keeps ticking over even when it hasn't been bought. I suppose too the litigatious society they come from means that if someone falls ill with anything, then someone must be to blame and have to pay for it :rolleyes:
I also suspect you’re correct in the influence on the litigious nature over here. That said I have mixed feelings on the resulting products available. On the one hand I’m thankful for safer products while on the other I lament some that aren’t readily available because of the regulations (I have to go a bit out of the way to get raw milk)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The yeasts being equal for years, there's so much difference in the grapes from year to year.
You eat some. You can tell right away, approximately what you can expect in the young wines.
That's why I always sterlized the must =
to give the yeast of my choice a chance to overwhelm whoever else might be swimming about in the primary tanks.

Even Toddy's strawberry jam can't be exactly the same from one year to the next. The fruit.
My bush cherries and my grapes taste different every year.

Reactions: santaman2000

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
........Basically the entire thing is simply to promote their canning method....the ones that use expensive jars and expensive use once and throw away lids.....they might be cheap in America but you're lucky if you can find a dozen here for under four quid, and it's usually a lot more.......
I imagine the price there would drop if they were sold on the same scale as they are here (literally millions every year) Economy in numbers.

Reactions: Robson Valley

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I imagine the price there would drop if they were sold on the same scale as they are here (literally millions every year) Economy in numbers.

Maybe :dunno: but I honestly doubt it because they'll not cut the price when folks are used to the price we have to pay now.
I can buy Chinese made jars that come with lids and rings for a cheaper price than I can buy the use once and throw away seals. It really is that bad.

My son's Italian girlfriend grew up with her Mum and her Granny making all the tomato sauce for the entire family for a year in an enormous cook in over a few days at the end of the growing season. I'm told that they just used every sound jar and bottle they could get hold of, never ever bought those fancy 'seals', and no chemicals bar salt, sugar, spices and herbs. A bad jar/bottle is virtually unheard of. That's commonplace too.
Good basic cleanliness, good hygiene and careful production.....bit like our jam making really :)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Thanks Toddy. Never thought about the prices for the materials.
I've got 4 or 5 sizes of Bernardin lids in the cupboard. No idea what they cost. Can't be much.
After one preservative useage, I wash those lids and reuse them on the same jars but to store bulk herbs and spices.
I'll never get a vacuum seal with a used lid but I don't really care.

The best part is that some food producers are going to wide mouth glass jars
which can be used for canning = exactly the right sizes for Bernardin lids.

I think there's a net movement of glass jars from stores to homes all year, every year.
From little salmon jars up to 1 liter are commonplace here.
People tip over and there's 4-10 dozen jars in the estate sale.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The jars are easy to get hold of, it's the disposable seals that are a ridiculous price, especially when we know fine that ordinary jam jars work very well indeed.
I do use the Kilner jars and seals, but not for jam or syrups or most fruits.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
...My son's Italian girlfriend grew up with her Mum and her Granny making all the tomato sauce for the entire family for a year in an enormous cook in over a few days at the end of the growing season. I'm told that they just used every sound jar and bottle they could get hold of, never ever bought those fancy 'seals', and no chemicals bar salt, sugar, spices and herbs. A bad jar/bottle is virtually unheard of. That's commonplace too.
Good basic cleanliness, good hygiene and careful production.....bit like our jam making really :)
Thanks Toddy. Never thought about the prices for the materials.
I've got 4 or 5 sizes of Bernardin lids in the cupboard. No idea what they cost. Can't be much.
After one preservative useage, I wash those lids and reuse them on the same jars but to store bulk herbs and spices.
I'll never get a vacuum seal with a used lid but I don't really care.

The best part is that some food producers are going to wide mouth glass jars
which can be used for canning = exactly the right sizes for Bernardin lids.
Exactly. Commercially canned (glass jar type) products can be emptied and then reuse the jars with the Ball-Mason type lids and rings. Many of the commercial products come in jars with threads compatible with the home canning rings, BUT! Even if the threads aren’t compatible, the opening size ALWAYS is (whether it be normal mouth or wide mouth) and you can just can and seal with the home canning Ball-Mason type lid and then screw the original commercial lid over that instead of a Ball-Mason ring. Actually many times I’ve seen family not use a ring at all (after all, the vacuum seal on th lid is what protects the food; the ring is just a safety to ensure the seal doesn’t get broken.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
All that said, I don’t know anybody in any generation here that ever did either type caning without the single use lids. Not even back as far as my grandparents at the turn of the 20th Century.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Well today I opened a 7 yr old jar of blackcurrant jam. It was absolutely delicious. Nothing wrong with it at all. All the jam in my local store has a use by date of 2021!
How many years has it been in the warehouse? ??
Mine was made in the normal way I always make jam. Sterilised jars and well sealed.. so much so I had trouble opening it even with a jar opener.!
If I can do it at home without all the nasty preservatives it makes me wonder why factory's can't, and have such short dates on them.
Home made any day for me. Sure I can buy cheaper but it's not as nice and has preservatives in. Why would I bother?

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I searched for Home Hardware then brand = Bernardin. Two blocks down my village street in today's blizzard.
The lid prices vary with size, $4.29 - $8.49. Almost $12.00 if you get the bands with the lids, too.
12 x 500 ml jars, complete with bands and lids is $11.49.
Recycle all the jars, repurpose the used lids and bands and the costs of putting up home food is reasonable.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
12 kilner jars =a little over £30 and a dozen lids £5+a few pence. Don't know what that is in dollars but it's expensive here.
Just over £35 for a dozen jars and extra lids!
Still from now on it will only be a fiver a year for new lids :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've been using some of the clip lid jars instead, and they're a pain to store. The clips get in the way when space is tight, they 'don't play well with others', iimmc ? Re-usable though :)

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Well today I opened a 7 yr old jar of blackcurrant jam. It was absolutely delicious. Nothing wrong with it at all. All the jam in my local store has a use by date of 2021!
How many years has it been in the warehouse? ??
Mine was made in the normal way I always make jam. Sterilised jars and well sealed.. so much so I had trouble opening it even with a jar opener.!
If I can do it at home without all the nasty preservatives it makes me wonder why factory's can't, and have such short dates on them.
Home made any day for me. Sure I can buy cheaper but it's not as nice and has preservatives in. Why would I bother?

We opened a 'back of the pantry' jar of rhubarb and ginger two days ago. It's dated 2015, and it's lovely :) it really is.
No mould either :D

Reactions: Woody girl

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Ikea is the place for those clip top jars. Very cheap and good quality.
Yes they don't store in the cupboard well do they with those clips! Still very usefull though. Great for lentils and pasta and rice etc.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Santaman, it was an old way to preserve soft fruits like raspberries. Thus preserved raspberries were whole, and used to decorate deserts and cakes.
It is easy, if you know how.
I have not seen it being done since she did it. Outdated tech. It worked though.
She made a sugar syrup. Placed selected fruit in the jar, poured the cold syrup on top, covered fully.
Sealed the jar, placed in a water bath. Boiled for a certain time. Do not remember how long though.
I buy my decoration fruit frozen.

Boil soft fruit the normal way and it turns to much.

Robson V, ask your Polish friends if they have a special jar for the kraut.
Those have a collar, and a lid like a soup plate. Compress salted kraut tightly in jar, must have enough liquid that covers at the end. Lid on, pour water in the collar. Prevents Oxygen coming into the jar.
https://images.app.goo.gl/ZCqR6XzuWXjRCAs4A

Reactions: Toddy

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I searched for Home Hardware then brand = Bernardin. Two blocks down my village street in today's blizzard.
The lid prices vary with size, $4.29 - $8.49. Almost $12.00 if you get the bands with the lids, too.
12 x 500 ml jars, complete with bands and lids is $11.49.
Recycle all the jars, repurpose the used lids and bands and the costs of putting up home food is reasonable.
The bands are reusable. Only the lids are single use.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE