Best Portablewood burning camping stoves ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

airborne09

Forager
Dec 9, 2016
North East
Hello All ,Looking at getting back into a bit wild camping / bushcraft etc after quite a number of years and still have a bit kit left over from the old days . For all I still like the idea of building my own camp fire and cooking on and around that , I would still like to take a portable / collapseable wood burning camp stove . There appears to be quite a few models out there on the market so has any of the members here have their own preferences and if so , Why ?
Thanks
M

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Horses for courses really but having gone from titanium hexagon stove, wood gasification stoves I've more settled on the firebox stove for soir burning and cooking, don't know how I did it before lol

Reactions: Madriverrob

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
How about this Lixada wood burning stove. It's a total rip off of the Little Bug Junior stove found on Ray Mears website, only difference is the LBS is £65 and the Lixada one is £10 with postage off Ebay.... I've been hammering mine for over a year now and I honestly can't fault it.

9719c701c89673abc7b6d79f7b1e60f4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Reactions: CLEM

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
There's sooooo many to choose from.

I use folding Firebox full size and nano and Ti goat titanium Woodstove for hot renting
Ok I've got at least half a dozen more but those are the best I've had

Oliver G

Sep 15, 2012
Ravenstone, Leicestershire
I've used the larger Lixada collapsible one, does fine for me and fits nicely in the bladder pouch of a bergan. Not too heavy and it's quite handy for me with it being larger, I'm just starting out in flameless fire making and having a great hole in the side give me access to fart around with ferrorods and the like. There's been a little distortion with head but with flat bits of metal unevenly heating that's inevitable.

Attachments

• 20200118_181309.jpg
    20200118_181309.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 28
Reactions: Nomad64

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07YKLDT4F/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Sold my firebox a while back, too heavy and overpriced, well made though but overkill for burning a few twigs in ! Have been using one of these recently, not the same quality as the firebox but the twigs burn just fine and heat my brew just the same, it's lighter and a fraction of the price !

I put a link up on here to that one on eBay recently. Looks good, yours is cheaper too

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
If it will make you a cup of tea then it is not the wrong stove. A Dakota fire hole would work as will a delux job that will even recharge USB devices. Will you only ever use meths, must it cook for 4 at a sitting, am I burning logs sticks or pine cones? I would venture to suggest there is no right answer. Get or make a cheap one, use it and understand why its not perfect for you. Be wiser when getting your 2nd. Might even have got it right by the time you get your 10th stove !!!!!! BUT ENJOY.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I have a honey stove - works ok, but to be honest, i probably wouldn't recommend it. Even with practice it is very fiddly to assemble, and has left a few cuts over the years!

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I have a Woodland Edge stove. V heavy, v solid and nice. still working to get the best from it but nice.

I had one of them and sold it.
Wish I hadn't now it was a hell of a lump but a real nice burner.

Agreed on the honey stove....what a fiddle!

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
I have a honey stove - works ok, but to be honest, i probably wouldn't recommend it. Even with practice it is very fiddly to assemble, and has left a few cuts over the years!
I love my Honey Stove, but I think it's best for occasional use. It would drive me made if I had to assemble it every day!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE