Paleo Meal Pack - Homemade Cheap

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I thick the back fat from the hump was used in making pemmican. I had a native american friend old enough to be my grandfather. He died about 20 yrs ago so memory is very sketchy but I remember talking about pemmican with him. I wouldn't bet on it as it's a very vague memory . But I'm pretty sure that's what he said.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
That looks great. Do you find 110g's enough for a filling meal? Admittedly everyone is diferrent, but I find rat pack sizes of 250g to 300g are good for me.
100g did me just fine today. I had one for lunch. I'm pretty small built and it definatley filled me up.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Reactions: crosslandkelly

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
True enough. Best fat for real bison pemmican is from the back back-strap fat.
I have discussed this with Cree native elders. It's trail food staple.
In this day and time, I consider it a big waste of good meat.

So for me, I can ask for that fat when I get a side of bison cut, wrapped, labelled and frozen for the year.
That butcher is just 2 blocks from my house.

For any long term encampments on the plains maybe near buffalo jumps,
the meat was always smoke dried. That's pretty good. I've had moose cured that way.
Fresh elk is the best of all but so mild, I'm a little disappointed.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
It's very different here. There's a great variety of things to see and do, outside of the village.
Most of the countryside is "crown" land so you can go anywhere you please and camp anywhere you like
for a maximum of 2 weeks. Then you are supposed to move on. Simple licenses and you can hunt and fish all day, every day.

My family likes to spend a few hours shooting clay targets. I have a big machine with a chair!
We just drive out to a favorite spot, set up and bang away. No permission needed.

The whole place is criss-crossed with old logging tracks so the walking is easy.
Of cpourse, a dense conifer forest is really sheltered so it takes the sting out of any storms.

In winter we have some 300km groomed cross-country ski tracks. Warming hut cabins, too.
The main snowmobile trails are groomed almost every night.

You can spot all the good campsites as somebody has always built a stone fire circle for everyone to use.
Knock over a dead-fall, buck that up and we have a fire to cook on.

You might get lucky and see a Fisher. Otherwise, we have wolves, coyotes, black bears & grizzly bears, cougars, lynx and bobcats,
rolly-polly porcupines ( they like carrots), moose, elk, caribou, mule deer and white tail deer.
The mule deer **** on my front door step in the night. That's how close we are.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
That is because you Finns are so horrible to them!
:)

(well, all Scaninavia has been horrible to them to be fair...)

Reindeer fat is nice. Once you get used to the taste. best if the meat is simply air dried.
Even when slightly rancid it tastes nice.

Last edited:

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I do like the scenery, VERY unlike Finland which is basically flat Taiga with a lot of bogs and some low rolling hills. If I would start walking east the first mountain would be the Ural.
Thx for the pics.

Sundowner

Jan 21, 2013
Northumberland
I just made jerky out of a leg of venison, but will do some more as i want to make up paleo bags for myself instead of buying stuff all the time. Of course therell be nuts in it but id really like to know what sort of fruit I should dehydrate? Further more, my jerky contains a bit of chilli and I wonder if fruit and nuts etc will "clash" in terms of taste when together in a bag (Not vacuumed)?

Reactions: Van-Wild

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Chilli flavoured nuts are ok. Tho I wouldn't use a sweet nut like almonds. Peanuts and hazels should be fine.
As for fruit... I can't think what would go well. Maybe it wouldn't matter, but not realy liking chilli I don't use it much at all.
All you can do is try it out and see what works well. If it's not vacuum sealed I can't see it being too big a problem. You never know you might discover a brilliant combo.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I do like the scenery, VERY unlike Finland which is basically flat Taiga with a lot of bogs and some low rolling hills. If I would start walking east the first mountain would be the Ural.
Thx for the pics.
As the Village People preached: Go West! :)
Finland, just like the Swedish northern inland, s a bit boring. But plenty of nice lakes with superb fishing1

@Sundowner, I think Apple would go well. Also dried Cranberries or Lingon berries. A classic combination with venison, reindeer, elk/moose.

Some people like a bit of Mint with their Venison, maybe you could add a few powdered Mint leaves?

But to be frank, I do not think you can go wrong with any 'sensible' mix. It is more down to the proportion of ingredients than the ingredients themselves.
Salt, Sweet, Acid, Umami.

Reactions: Sundowner

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
I just made jerky out of a leg of venison, but will do some more as i want to make up paleo bags for myself instead of buying stuff all the time. Of course therell be nuts in it but id really like to know what sort of fruit I should dehydrate? Further more, my jerky contains a bit of chilli and I wonder if fruit and nuts etc will "clash" in terms of taste when together in a bag (Not vacuumed)?
The flavours won't clash too much I don't think. You can dehydrate apples, pears, strawberries, cranberries, banana. Let me know how your drying goes!

Sundowner

Jan 21, 2013
Northumberland
Chilli flavoured nuts are ok. Tho I wouldn't use a sweet nut like almonds. Peanuts and hazels should be fine.
As for fruit... I can't think what would go well. Maybe it wouldn't matter, but not realy liking chilli I don't use it much at all.
All you can do is try it out and see what works well. If it's not vacuum sealed I can't see it being too big a problem. You never know you might discover a brilliant combo.
Thanks for that, but what I meant was, putting my chilli laden jerky into the same bag as any dried fruit, would that be a problem?

Sundowner

Jan 21, 2013
Northumberland
The flavours won't clash too much I don't think. You can dehydrate apples, pears, strawberries, cranberries, banana. Let me know how your drying goes!

I thought it should be ok. I guess I'll go with apple, banana and some cranberries. Of course nuts will go into the bag too.
Part of the reason I want to do this, is because I want to loose weight. Perhaps a stone in weight. Thinking two sandwich bags full per day should do?

Reactions: Van-Wild

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Stone fruits (peaches, apricots, mangoes) and apples dry very nicely. The dried mango slices are my #1.
I like them all quite leathery for a good "chew." Then put one bag inside the other so the tastes don't get mixed up.

For taste bullets that you have to suck on, dried raspberries and dried strawberries are good.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
I thought it should be ok. I guess I'll go with apple, banana and some cranberries. Of course nuts will go into the bag too.
Part of the reason I want to do this, is because I want to loose weight. Perhaps a stone in weight. Thinking two sandwich bags full per day should do?
I AM NOT A DIETITIAN but......

What I do know is, there's a lot of fat in nuts. There's a lot of sugars in fruit (although the scientists do say it's the good, natural kind, but it's sugar all the same....). The venison is probs the leanest the meat you could get so well done on that (I'd love a bit of venison biltong...).

2 sandwich bags per day would be a lot of fats and sugars. So unless you're in a physically active job to burn it off, you're still consuming fats. Surplus fats means fat storage. Loosing weight (and this is the only bit where I would even consider myself somewhat knowledgeable) really is as simple as Kcal in VS Kcal out. Have a look at your daily calorie intake and work off that buddy.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Scientists do not say the sugars in fruit is of a good kind.
Sucrose and fructose is the same, be it in a can of Coke or in a piece of cane or an apple.

When eating sugary stuff ( of all sorts) it is important to chew slowly and lots, so the enzymes in the saliva can break down the complex sugars to Glucose.

@Robson Valley is an expert in this. He can explain.

But you nailed it, 'energy in' - same as' used energy' = no change in body weight.
'Energy in' less than 'energy used' = weightloss.

from a physical point of view, it is better to eat complex carbohydrates than simple carbohydrates ( sugars) as you get a more even energy release. Sugars give spikes in the available energy.
Hunger inbetween.

Sundowner

Jan 21, 2013
Northumberland
Stone fruits (peaches, apricots, mangoes) and apples dry very nicely. The dried mango slices are my #1.
I like them all quite leathery for a good "chew." Then put one bag inside the other so the tastes don't get mixed up.

For taste bullets that you have to suck on, dried raspberries and dried strawberries are good.
Thank you for that, very good idea!!

Sundowner

Jan 21, 2013
Northumberland
I AM NOT A DIETITIAN but......

What I do know is, there's a lot of fat in nuts. There's a lot of sugars in fruit (although the scientists do say it's the good, natural kind, but it's sugar all the same....). The venison is probs the leanest the meat you could get so well done on that (I'd love a bit of venison biltong...).

2 sandwich bags per day would be a lot of fats and sugars. So unless you're in a physically active job to burn it off, you're still consuming fats. Surplus fats means fat storage. Loosing weight (and this is the only bit where I would even consider myself somewhat knowledgeable) really is as simple as Kcal in VS Kcal out. Have a look at your daily calorie intake and work off that buddy.

Thanks bud, fully aware of it too!! But bad back, age, weak knees etc don't let me do what I want. So, in my weak hour (another one) I decided to take a step back and start small......again. But I'll get there!
BTW, there will be more jerky than fruit and nuts

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Sugars are sugars whether they come from meat, sugar cane or grapes.
They have some interchangable parts so your metabolism can change them from one into another.

Sucrose (cane sugar, beet sugar, honey) is 2 sugars linked together. Milk sugar, lactose, is a different pair.
Excess, partly broken down sugars are put away as fat. Glycogen is a temporary 24 - 36 hour thing.

Go ahead. Eat 40 loaves of bread. Complex carbs (starches). Or pasta, take your pick.
Tell me what you did with the excess sugar energy.

Gross Production = Net Production + Respiration.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE