Ramsoms are up

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Does anyone know if they can be transplanted at this time of year? Last spring I noted a load of them in a roadside field hedge and thought to ‘borrow’ a couple of small clumps for the ‘wild’ area of our garden, but didn’t get round to it before they had flowered and gone. I’d also like to grow some pignuts as well, but I haven’t found any so far locally. I will have to keep my eyes peeled.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
They can. I've done it (with landowner's permission). You need to take plenty of soil so as not to damage roots.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Does anyone know if they can be transplanted at this time of year? Last spring I noted a load of them in a roadside field hedge and thought to ‘borrow’ a couple of small clumps for the ‘wild’ area of our garden, but didn’t get round to it before they had flowered and gone. I’d also like to grow some pignuts as well, but I haven’t found any so far locally. I will have to keep my eyes peeled.

Here's a "how to" thread

https://bushcraftuk.com/community/index.php?threads/domesticating-the-wild-garlic.92982/

Reactions: bobnewboy

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Early, no?

I must take a walk with the dogs at South Harting, see if they’re up. There are carpets of the little stinkers, I love brushing through them. Couple of years ago we made quite a posh seafood linguine with them, and their mates, dry white wine and a splash of crème fraîshe. It was really good, chives come nowhere near.

A big handful of dry, not dried, leaves steeped in olive oil for a day then filtered and bottled makes a lovely oil for salad dressings and gently fried or scrambled eggs. By dry I mean not wet from rain, or washed. The oil will mould, it doesn’t keep well as it is.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Everything is so early. Saw celandines the other day20200110_130619.jpg
If we have the snow they have been predicting for the last few months there will be a lot of damage to plants and wildlife. It's very worrying despite being nice to see signs of spring which I'm certainly longing for after this dank winter

Reactions: British Red

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Everything is so early. Saw celandines the other dayView attachment 56736
If we have the snow they have been predicting for the last few months there will be a lot of damage to plants and wildlife. It's very worrying despite being nice to see signs of spring which I'm certainly longing for after this dank winter

Ach, they always predict snow, Beast from the East etc. It’s generally a load of old toot. Worst thing is a very hard frost on freshly opened flower buds, but the natives seem to cope ok whatever the weather. One of the strangest things this year is our Holly tree. It produces berries without fail every year, we promise some branches to locals before Christmas, and inevitably the local pigeons jump in for a day and eat the whole lot before anyone gets them. Much like the rooks and the walnuts. This year our tree is still covered in berries, I know not why.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Wild garlic is a Gods Gift.
Omelettes, soups, in salads. In most foods!

Make a nettle soup, and add finely chopped garlic leaves.
Once I mistook leaves from the Lilly of the valley for them. Made myself throw up after a few spoons.
I think they are mildly toxic.
Learned to use my nose.

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK

Last year in mid-Wales (which is not so different from North Somerset) there was a huge crop of pignuts - these pictures were taken in early June.

Good luck.

966A3CB9-4381-489F-8E06-A6CE68691DC4.jpeg
52B244D1-2F8E-44F8-BE39-8545778BBB34.jpeg

Edit just been out looking for ramsons (they were there last year) but no sign yet. That said, we have only just got our first snowdrop bud so in the Welsh hills we are a few weeks behind the SE of England. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: bobnewboy

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Wild garlic is a Gods Gift.
Omelettes, soups, in salads. In most foods!

Make a nettle soup, and add finely chopped garlic leaves.
Once I mistook leaves from the Lilly of the valley for them. Made myself throw up after a few spoons.
I think they are mildly toxic.
Learned to use my nose.

Lilly of the vally?!!! More than mildly toxic my dear! Deadly! You were very very lucky. The other thing that gets mistaken for wild garlic early season is lords and ladies. Again toxic.
When I teach about foraging before I show the wild garlic I show lords and ladies and make very sure the difference and toxicity is known.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Nah, I was strong. Man of steel. Hart wie Sandviken stahl....
And have the ability to make myself throw up easily!
:)

I think I was in my mid teens, on a trip down to southern Sweden.

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Could just have a sniff of it. Before the Ramson thread goes OT, Red links to his planting thread, so they’re likely to be wild garlic. :)

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
No sign here yet and we're in a fairly mild area.

I'm currently naturalising some from a clump I naturalised several years ago from a clump I naturalised a few years before that.

It's also worth gathering seed if you can to help for new clumps. It'll take a few years before they are ready but worth it.

Obviously be careful as they can become a weed in the wrong place.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Last year in mid-Wales (which is not so different from North Somerset) there was a huge crop of pignuts - these pictures were taken in early June.

Good luck.

View attachment 56737
View attachment 56739

Edit just been out looking for ramsons (they were there last year) but no sign yet. That said, we have only just got our first snowdrop bud so in the Welsh hills we are a few weeks behind the SE of England. :)
South East? Midlands here

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
South East? Midlands here

Oops sorry, for some reason from the utube vids, I had got the impression that you were in the south east or East Anglia but I now see that you are in “Mercia” although that kingdom does have somewhat nebulous boundaries.

We are 1200’ so the growing season is a bit later and shorter here. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE