good axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Can anyone recommend a decent axe that doesn't cost the world I bought a cheap one and it isn't worth taking with me

Sent from my SM-A920F using Tapatalk

To be honest S. this topic comes up once a month and so we are all repeating ourselves (happily, that's not a complaint) but I work and play in the woods and have never spent more than £10 on an axe that I actually use (and that was a Brades 1920s felling axe) as opposed to look at. I love restoring old British axes from a time when we produced some of the best steel and tools in the world. I've also modified old (abused) axes to repurpose them.

None below cost me more than a fiver and they will do the job, and last as long, as any expensive axe:

IMG_8074 - 2 - 512 - 25.jpg

Jan 11, 2020
scotland
To be honest S. this topic comes up once a month and so we are all repeating ourselves (happily, that's not a complaint) but I work and play in the woods and have never spent more than £10 on an axe that I actually use (and that was a Brades 1920s felling axe) as opposed to look at. I love restoring old British axes from a time when we produced some of the best steel and tools in the world. I've also modified old (abused) axes to repurpose them.

None below cost me more than a fiver and they will do the job, and last as long, as any expensive axe:

View attachment 56713
is there anywhere good to get them or just ebay

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk

The majority I've found on car boot fairs, a few I've found in bric-a-brac and antiques shops, things like Land Rover jumble markets and antique fairs (there's usually some box full of old tools somewhere). However, ask around; someone will have emptied their father's shed or garage recently. Reject any that have obviously been hit on the pole by a club hammer or the like; the eye could be distorted or even cracked.

All the stuff on ebay is way over the price I have ever paid.

Reactions: seanyfaetheshire

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire

Shire ? my shire ? or nearby ?
Either way, if you're central-ish, Blochairn on a Sunday morning's worth a ramble :) or the one at Lanark Mart is sometimes a treasure trove. Just your luck on the day really.
Actually that's a good point, the Farmer's market shops are worth a phone call to see if they have anything in stock. The one at Stirling had some that were okay, just check the way it's helved at the eye, sometimes the wedge isn't very sound. Fixable though.

What did you buy cheaply, and why can't it be sharpened ? It has to be pretty vile to be absolutely useless after some care. Even the tenner offering from Argos a few years ago has been done up to be sound to use by a few folks. Not in the same class as craftsman made, but still.

I'd say don't ignore other trade tools either. My own favourite is a cleaned up and re-sharpened (Thank you Russ :D) Estwing joiner's axe. It had kicked about in the back of a joiner's van for a couple of years, had been used to howk down gyproc walls and the like. Blue rubber handle, not exactly 'bushcraft' looking, but sound, lighter weight so no burden, but with a good grip, swing and control to it, and rock solid reliable. Some folks strip off the blue and stitch a leather handle in place.

M

Jan 11, 2020
scotland
yeah jst near lanark, was gna have a crack at sharpening the one i have before i do anything else, jst waiting for payday to get some descent sandpaper and files ect

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm the other side of Hamilton from you.

It's got to be worth a go. There are some pretty good tutorials on the forum on sharpening axes, and some interesting methods :)
I'm sure there's a £5 sharpening kit thread too. It it's not costing you much more than elbow grease, that's no bad thing.

M

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Most of the hatchets and axes will sharpen up just fine for the task provided that you take some pride in sharpening skills.
That's bevel angles and grit sizes. There are some tricks which I have never seen in writing.

I was taught free hand sharpening for expensive wood carving gouges ($50.00 - $100.00 per blade).
What I learned was that the process applied to every edge in my whole house. I'm still learning.
And there's no shortage of such things in the kitchen.

Reactions: Toddy

Mr Wolf

Jun 30, 2013
Nottinghamshire
I always wonder if they did get one or not.
Knowing what I know now.
For the price of a GB.
Take your pic of hults variants and even ct and keep the change

Orhdposs

Forager
Mar 27, 2020
Essex
Nice old Elwell 21/2 LB Kent pattern, will do most things Splitting, cutting down small trees 200mm dia, snedding, bit large for carving, cheap on eday or car boot.

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
Can anyone recommend a decent axe that doesn't cost the world I bought a cheap one and it isn't worth taking with me

I have a couple of Gransfor axes I use around my workshop, but I just wanted a cheap wood basher when I'm in the woods. So I gave this some file work, dipped the head in vinegar overnight, stripped the handle drilled a hole for hanging stained and oiled job done!

Proof of effort, took it into the woods for the weekend well used and still sharp, good result for minimal outlay and effort.image.png

image.jpeg

Reactions: Tracer1969

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE