How's the weather ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I hope your homes stay dry down South, I really do. It's bad enough that our Winters are usually dark and wet, but flooding's a whole other thing entirely.

@Joe tahkahikew
Your Winters sound harsher than ours, but in some ways I think frozen hard is easier than alternating just above and below freezing wet and mud.

At least the daylight will stretch out from now on though :)

When I came to UK it rained. More than we have here. Here it rains mostly in early autumn until the temperature drops and then only snow. So unlike your land we never get rain in winter. I guess thats why you folk like rubber boots (wellintons?) so much

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
So true. Today it's pouring down again. My garden ponds are literally full to the very edges and draining out to the burn. Himself is away for a walk and he's swaddled up in waterproofs. It's not cold though, it's 6.8˚C, so that'll make it an uncomfortably stuffy walk in waterproofs.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Had a very nice day beating here today. There were clouds but they were scudding by without raining in the light breeze, and most of the day was bright and mild at around 10/11 centigrade. The fields and the lanes were very very soft going though, and the draining water was gushing from the field drains. I was glad for a sit down and a cuppa at the end. It must be mild though, as there was a bat flying around the house in the darkening gloom :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Toddy

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Today I saw a funny round shiny thing in the sky!!! I think it was the sun. :) Tomorrow's forcast is for thunder and lightning and hailstorms. ....oh well it was nice while it lasted.

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
BBC Weather forecast for Old Mid Wales today has been 99-100% chance of heavy rain for most of the day with winds peaking at 44 mph about now! Pretty much spot on and a good day to concentrate on indoor jobs. Stay safe.

image0.jpeg

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
It's been fun chasing the bins down the road today to get them back after they were emptied!
Indoor jobs are a plenty but the house is so dark that I've given up trying to hem new trousers and anything that needs daylight .
I'm going back to bed!
Wake me up when spring has arrived.
:) :) :)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
-35C with sunshine (?) and no wind again this morning.
Hoping I have enough furnace fuel to hang on until deliivery promised tomorrow.
All my electric heaters are spinning the power meter.

I can dress for it, don't want to, have to go out today, truck plugged in, hope it starts at noon.

We avoid winter camping if at all possible. Several very attractive drifts maybe 5-6' high.
If I had a snow knife, there's probably enough to build a respectable igloolik (igloo just means house.)

Reactions: Toddy and Nomad64

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I love a windy day. It can realy blow the cobwebs away, but this storm we are having presently is the nastiest of all weathers. The wind is howling about the house and despite the heating makes you feel cold and miserable. We are pretty sheltered here so if we are getting it.....I'd hate to be elsewhere today.
I've made a hot chocolate drink with a splash of homemade cherry brandy and I'm snuggled up in my duvet with the radio and a packet of ginger and chocolate gluten free biscuits.
Blissful!

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
-35C with sunshine (?) and no wind again this morning. ...

We haven't really had a winter yet, just a long, wet and windy autumn - I can only think of a couple of mornings when there has been enough of a frost to leave ice on the animals water buckets.

Still plenty of time - the "Beast from the East" which hit us a couple of years ago did not arrive till March but the soil is so saturated that people are worried that bulbs are rotting in the soil.

Snowdrops seem late this year, we are only now getting shoots coming through. I planted nearly a kilo of yellow rattle seeds this winter and I am worried that without proper cold, the stratification process they require to germinate won't happen. A few cold (though not -35C!), bright days would be good. :)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Will be interesting to see what this cold does to my grape vines.
I got it wrong = neighbor said it was -40.5C at sunrise (8:25 AM?)

Guess I need to dig out my real winter clothing, not used in several years.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I used to stratify seed in the crisper drawer in the bottom of the fridge.
Nice plastic containers from take-away food and 1" damp sand.
Piece of window screen, seeds sprinkled on that. Then another inch of damp sand.
30-60 days @ 4C always worked. Maples had to file a groove in the pericarps.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Bother! There are crumbs in the bed now! :(
Bother this weather! :(
I want either snow or sunshine. I realy don't care which! I'm just so sick of all this rain! :(
It's depressing. :(
I'm having a bad day with the fybromyalga. :(
Forgive my moaning. :)

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Seems a bit better today, it's been very windy the last few days, lots of rain, rivers are near bursting. I had to get out a couple of times to reenforce the covering over the windows in the extension I'm building, that's fun in 60mph windy rain :D

Andy T

Settler
Sep 8, 2010
Stoke on Trent.
Very windy here yesterday. It was quite interesting trying to keep my boat in a straight line going down the canal.
I've tied her up using 5 ropes, she didn't move much last night. It's a beautiful day today though, just outside Congleton.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
This seems to be the third November month in a row. Makes one contemplate moving either north or south.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Some sun today and the wind has gone ... for now.
It has been a rough couple of days weatherwise. Longing for proper spring to arrive. Won't be long now.
Can feel my feet starting to itch and longing to get out and use my new gear. A little while longer to wait though.
Sadly I cannot winter camp nowadays so feel realy cooped up at the moment. Cabin fever!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE