Longer technical waterproof - walking / day to day

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Perhaps I need two coats, dog walker shooters long coat (one for £30 I've seen on a website link provided) and a paramo alta 3 or similar.

Reactions: santaman2000

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I did once see one in Lakeland leather in Kendal I think. No zips I think. Probably isn't sold anymore as not fashionable leather look.

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
A Swazi Tahr might hit the mark for you they're at knee length but the price point is high. I tried one on but looked more like Friar Tuck.

Love mine, simple but effective and it's not let me down. It was always on the wish list but the price was the issue, luckily I found an RM branded one at a car boot sale, not silly cheap but still a bargain. Ideally its one size too big but i found it allows me to use over a down jacket in the winter and probably cooler than a more snug fit when it's warmer.
Luckily I don't give a monkeys what I look like :)
Would I buy another, if I had the funds, yes.

Reactions: Billy-o

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Love mine, simple but effective and it's not let me down. It was always on the wish list but the price was the issue, luckily I found an RM branded one at a car boot sale, not silly cheap but still a bargain. Ideally its one size too big but i found it allows me to use over a down jacket in the winter and probably cooler than a more snug fit when it's warmer.
Luckily I don't give a monkeys what I look like :)
Would I buy another, if I had the funds, yes.

Aye I bought the Swazi Kagoule only worn it during a Woodlore Campcraft course but love it.

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Not sure if it would be long enough but the craghoppers Kiwi long jacket is pretty good. Not super long but below "junk" level. Good waterproofing and reasonable breathability for a gentle wander and can be had for £50 if you hunt around. It's the only synthetic jacket that I have as I usually use ventile or waxed cotton for my outdoorsy stuff. It mostly gets used for popping to the shops in wet weather.

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
I have the old style Ridgeline Grizzly. It is warm so not suitable for real summer weather but excellent for 3 seasons (autumn/winter/spring) use. Officially it's not waterproof but I wore it in a head on blizzard in the Cairngorms and only got wet where there was a gap under my chin because I hadn't zipped it up properly.
It's not to everyone's style - SWMBO calls it a duffel coat - but I have two now, an older one for faffing about shooting/Scouts/outdoors and another for "looking presentable" at other times.
I don't know if they are still available, but they are worth getting IMHO.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
You are missing something. IMHO of course. It is all subjective.

There's a difference between a day to day potter or a dog walk and a proper walk. IME you're not likely to put on full waterproofs for a half full hour about town or through woods/ park/ canal with the mutt. You're not going to get drenched except where yet hard shell runs off onto groin or thighs. In the conditions I'm thinking of I'll probably wear softshell to stop run off and still stay dry.

Switch to slightly longer hard shells water runs off to lower legs or misses you. Either way you're not getting that cold and wet area where it's really uncomfortable.

Then you're also not dealing with lack of flexibility all but the most expensive hard shell trousers offers.

I also have the issue of being tall but not with a clown sized waist. Exaggerating there but often to get leg length in hard shell trousers I need to have a waist that fits a 40"+, trouser waist size. I've shopped around a lot and have just about found shell trousers that are long enough, if I don't stretch to climb up somewhere. I've not got the money for made to measure or scandi brands that can be longer.

Plus I really don't like hard shells for comfort reasons. It's why I rarely wear them top or bottom. Softshell can dry out if it's not truly wet for long periods.

It's a more conventional idea behind ponchos IMV. Lin long and with volume prevents need for lower body cover and less boil in the bag. But with a conventional coat look.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE