Wanted Hammock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 13, 2019
Gallifrey
Does anyone have a hammock for sale?

DD seem to be where it’s at but i’m open to suggestions.... and as always, educating in the ways of the Hammock. (They tell me dyslexia is a gift but i’ll resist posting anything about Haddocks... for now).
I want a system that can be compressed to fit a day sack of 25l or below (ideally 10-12l), that also leaves room for other essentials.

Thanks,

Darryl

Attachments

• 80A37618-7DDE-423E-97AA-727BEC87C1B2.jpeg
    80A37618-7DDE-423E-97AA-727BEC87C1B2.jpeg
    20.7 KB · Views: 7

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I find my dd set up takes a lot of room and is much heavier all round than my hennessy set up. The hennessy is also a quicker setup as it's all integrated into the snakeskins and I have only one bag to carry with it all in. That said I've just ordered a snugpak underquilt for it as I'm fed up with sliding off a mat and getting cold! So more weight will be added.
I have the bottom entry one so the underquilt will be fun re access!
Hennassy is also expensive !
The dd is much more comfortable and warmer but more of a hassle to set up as I have to put up the tarp first then the hammock. I can also use larger tarps if I want to whereas I'm stuck with the one that comes with the hennessy. It's not big enough for me. So pro and con with each set up.
Must admit I prefer the dd once it's up. Prefer the hennessy for ease of slinging it up.

Reactions: Darryl of Sussex
Jan 13, 2019
Gallifrey
I find my dd set up takes a lot of room and is much heavier all round than my hennessy set up. The hennessy is also a quicker setup as it's all integrated into the snakeskins and I have only one bag to carry with it all in. That said I've just ordered a snugpak underquilt for it as I'm fed up with sliding off a mat and getting cold! So more weight will be added.
I have the bottom entry one so the underquilt will be fun re access!
Hennassy is also expensive !
The dd is much more comfortable and warmer but more of a hassle to set up as I have to put up the tarp first then the hammock. I can also use larger tarps if I want to whereas I'm stuck with the one that comes with the hennessy. It's not big enough for me. So pro and con with each set up.
Must admit I prefer the dd once it's up. Prefer the hennessy for ease of slinging it up.

Would you say that either can fit into or be easily under-slung on a day sack? Or do they need their own bags?
Probably going for DD as Hennesey, as you say are pretty pricey. Which one would you recommend for occasional days out?

I’m thinking of going for a wander, stick up a hammock, heat up some lunch and a cuppa and start on my Vlog. The Vlog’s purpose is partly to encourage people to do the same without feeling like they need to buy out the Ray Mears online shop in its entirety.
Another subject altogether I know, but F.E aren’t happy with giving consent for overnighting at my favourite forest, so a quick snooze on a nice afternoon in a hammock will have to do for now.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
If you are looking to buy one I can wholeheartedly recommend the EasyHammok made by Matt, Bigmonster , of this forum. I moved from a DD ( which I still highly rate) to his Easyhammock and never looked back. Easy setup, loads of room, warm, quality build.. It comes as a complete set up just add trees!!

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Sounds like the dd superlight hammock would suit your needs perfectly, I use one the same way, just kept in the day pack for when I want a break out and about, compresses down very small.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Go outdoors are doing a sale on the eno single nest at the moment. Under £30 with discount card on their sale section of the website . No bug net but one can be bought separately and the pic showed it as a blue colour. Very light but wouldn't choose a blue one personally. If they had a green or brown one ld be tempted for a lightweight option.
Having both hennessy and dd. I'd choose the hennessy for a dayrest hammock, in your position but the dd for longer than a weekend.
Now my snugpak underquilt has arrived in will try it in the hennessy soon and see how much more comfortable I am warmth wise with it. It is certainly a lighter weight option than the full dd rig. But I just like feeling more cuddled in the dd. Many hate it but I realy don't mind at all.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
If you are looking to buy one I can wholeheartedly recommend the EasyHammok made by Matt, Bigmonster , of this forum. I moved from a DD ( which I still highly rate) to his Easyhammock and never looked back. Easy setup, loads of room, warm, quality build.. It comes as a complete set up just add trees!!

I have to agree with this, I've got/had a lot of hammocks and I've settled on two easy hammocks set ups or different seasons... Easy Hammock

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Have you thought of making one as it's only a day hammock? As a kid I'd make hammocks out of a doubled over double sheet. Tie knots in the end and tie ropes to each end to suspend. I'm not saying use a sheet as I'm sure though fine for a ten yrs old may not hold up for a grown man.
Maybe use a few meters of ripstop or something similar. I'm sure if you you tube homemade hammocks you'd find details on how to make a simple gathered end hammock and how to suspend it safely .
Of course if you intend to use it in anger in the future it will pay to buy one.
Splash out on an underquilt for sure! Even for a day lounging in a hammock especially in the autumn/winter/spring you will feel the cold.

Grebby

Life Member
Jul 16, 2008
Sutton Coldfield
I have a DD Travel hammock and snugpak underquilt in the spares cupboard (along with way too many other bits). If you are interested drop me a PM and we can see what we can sort out?

Cheers
Grebby

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE