I am Pretending I am Allright...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Completely back-tracking to the job hunting, I've worked in engineering since leaving uni and here seems to be a disproportionate number of autistic people within the field so you may not be too out of place, have you considered working for a tech company? I used to work for one of the pharma places in Swindon and they're always hunting for chemical engineers, might be worth seeing if they have some roles there and just throw your hat in the ring, you never know what will happen. There's Patheon and Catalent to look at and a couple of smaller ones around the Wiltshire area. Failing that you always have Porton biopharma or indeed DSTL. If you need to have a chat give me a shout.
I may be wrong but I believe Tengu’s field is/was archeology.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Greta’s “lineage” is unimportant as such. However her parents are definitely responsible for her “upbringing.” As to comments about being nasty to her; well, most of us will always return what we’re given. Greta’s “message” was nothing more than a nasty rant. That rant was obviously orchestrated by her parents and backers from the fringes.

Reactions: Janne

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
She is 17, had her birthday a few days ago. Apparently decided to take some 'time out' from her eco work.
I hope she gets back to school, and becomes a normal student again.

Tengu, she is an Archivist, and she started on an Archeology postgrad. Not sure what kind of Archeology. It would be interested in hearing more about it, Tengu!

Archeology and History are imho one of the more important sciences. Understand the past, you will understand today and the future.
Thank the Gods that some Archivists are bad. I love it when they discover important historical documents, forgotten for centuries, in the archives! :)

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Greta’s “lineage” is unimportant as such. However her parents are definitely responsible for her “upbringing.” As to comments about being nasty to her; well, most of us will always return what we’re given. Greta’s “message” was nothing more than a nasty rant. That rant was obviously orchestrated by her parents and backers from the fringes.
:banghead2: :offtopic:how does that comment get us back on track to the subject????? You have just carried on and totaly ignored what I said a couple of posts back. Some have gallantly tried to get back to the subject... thank you... but you have just once again attacked a child. Your opinion is yours and you are entitled to it but this is NOT the place to air them. We are supposed to be helping Tengu, not airing biased views (one way or another )a teenager with autism or her parents. Please let's get back to the topic or shut up.... as I'm going to do now on this this particular thread. :sulk:

Oliver G

Sep 15, 2012
Ravenstone, Leicestershire
She is 17, had her birthday a few days ago. Apparently decided to take some 'time out' from her eco work.
I hope she gets back to school, and becomes a normal student again.

Tengu, she is an Archivist, and she started on an Archeology postgrad. Not sure what kind of Archeology. It would be interested in hearing more about it, Tengu!

Archeology and History are imho one of the more important sciences. Understand the past, you will understand today and the future.
Thank the Gods that some Archivists are bad. I love it when they discover important historical documents, forgotten for centuries, in the archives! :)
Apologies, I had it I'm my head she was studying Petro-chenical engineering, I should have read further.

It would be interesting to see the day to day life of an archivist and how they go about collecting all the information.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
Do you realise what you are doing there, it is called an ad hominem attack and is a logical fallacy which (along with whatever her parentage is, that she did not chose) is irrelevant to the message she is relaying and publicising. It is not HER message it is the plain facts as agreed by the majority of those who have studied them.

Furthermore by attacking her in this way you are also devaluing and gaslighting several people on this forum including Tengu. Why not just admit that you do not like Greta and the publicity she is getting because that is about the size of it. You may have had a very nasty science teacher who taught you chemistry but the character of the teacher in no way alters the chemical equations you were taught.

Could not agree more.

Being on the wrong side of science and history can be uncomfortable and the furious reaction of (predominantly) middle aged and elderly men (who have reached the stage in life where they like to think they are right about absolutely everything), to a girl/young woman communicating basically the same message that dear old David Attenborough has been doing but in the manner of an stroppy teenager is not limited to the pages of this forum.

The Greta Thunberg Helpline available to antipodeans may be of assistance to some! ;)

I have no idea how much Ms T’s parents encouraged her passions or whether they just let her run with it but even if they did push her in the direction of environmental activism, is that any worse than the parents of sporting, musical, academic or performing arts prodigies whose talents are nurtured sometimes to an extreme degree. If Ms T was doing backflips like Simone Biles or playing the violin like Vanessa Mae were at her age, there would be none of the venom directed at her or her parents.

If people disagree with the science Ms T is referring to then challenge her on that rather than she comes over as a bit weird and she might have pushy parents. At the end of the day, if the scientists and lobbyists generously funded by the fossil fuel industry and the regimes whose economies are bolstered by its profits cannot deal with the arguments of a child and have to stir up a campaign* against her personally then perhaps there is something in what she is saying.

* I have no evidence to prove that anyone connected with the fossil fuel industry or oil/coal exporting countries are actually behind the personal attacks against Ms T but it is worth remembering the dirty tricks deployed against Ralph Nader when he had the impertinence to suggest (quite correctly as it turned out) that cars being sold in the US were Unsafe at Any Speed! :)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nader_v._General_Motors_Corp.

Last edited:

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Sorry to be off topic.

But not so sorry as to actually not post it, eh?
Another thread that's been Janne'd.

its well know and widely reported, that she has certain ailments of a medical/neurological nature., her parents are well known anti-capital activists.

77c.jpg

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
Could not agree more.

Being on the wrong side of science and history can be uncomfortable and the furious reaction of (predominantly) middle aged and elderly men (who have reached the stage in life where they like to think they are right about absolutely everything), to a girl/young woman communicating basically the same message that dear old David Attenborough has been doing but in the manner of an stroppy teenager is not limited to the pages of this forum.

The Greta Thunberg Helpline available to antipodeans may be of assistance to some! ;)

I have no idea how much Ms T’s parents encouraged her passions or whether they just let her run with it but even if they did push her in the direction of environmental activism, is that any worse than the parents of sporting, musical, academic or performing arts prodigies whose talents are nurtured sometimes to an extreme degree. If Ms T was doing backflips like Simone Biles or playing the violin like Vanessa Mae were at her age, there would be none of the venom directed at her or her parents.

If people disagree with the science Ms T is referring to then challenge her on that rather than she comes over as a bit weird and she might have pushy parents. At the end of the day, if the scientists and lobbyists generously funded by the fossil fuel industry and the regimes whose economies are bolstered by its profits cannot deal with the arguments of a child and have to stir up a campaign* against her personally then perhaps there is something in what she is saying.

* I have no evidence to prove that anyone connected with the fossil fuel industry or oil/coal exporting countries are actually behind the personal attacks against Ms T but it is worth remembering the dirty tricks deployed against Ralph Nader when he had the impertinence to suggest (quite correctly as it turned out) that cars being sold in the US were Unsafe at Any Speed! :)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nader_v._General_Motors_Corp.
If only we could stop the crap

Reactions: santaman2000

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
I Wander too.....................

i was wondering why he jumped on Janne for posting an error on the thread, when Wander him/herself had just done the same on the other thread associated with this one................

Bit like Nomad who seems to have something against elderly men, as he is always quoting and demeaning any contribution they may make.

Last edited:
Reactions: santaman2000

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Oh, Jane is allright. He just says what he thinks, thats all.

I reserve the right to critise a child if they are being a nasty tyke that in someone of more mature years might look like something politically extreeme?

(Oh, yeah, she has parents for that)

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Moderators, would it be OK to start a thread about Environmental issues/work/protests?
Hopefully keeping it non religious, without personal bullying and apolitical?

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
Bit like Nomad who seems to have something against elderly men, as he is always quoting and demeaning any contribution they may make.

I can assure you that I have nothing against elderly men per se and in fact, I am seriously thinking of becoming one in a year or two - the alternative option being less than attractive.

FWIW, as a volunteer community support driver, I spend a fair bit of time with elderly men and women (some very elderly), all are deserving of respect and although in some cases their faculties may have declined, most are a joy to spend time with, still have enquiring minds and are founts of fascinating local knowledge. An elderly neighbour and former national champion will be offering (I hope) constructive criticism of my first hedgelaying efforts over the next few weeks.

The issue I have is with people of whatever age (but let’s be honest, it’s almost invariably men whose best days are behind them), who have strong opinions on various subjects, an unshakeable belief that they are right about absolutely everything (often despite compelling evidence to the contrary), and that a discussion on any topic will improved by shoehorning in and then defending to the last ditch one of their pet theories.

As an example, here is a discussion on this forum about EDC knives which someone from this Parish thought would be improved by working in this little gem about the EU banning the UK from selling eggs by the dozen!

3F7ECBFF-3690-4A06-B77F-D628E0C85816.jpeg

https://bushcraftuk.com/community/i...g-law-and-practice.153987/page-4#post-1918708

When I read that from someone who (from other posts), I understand to be a very well educated person, I had assumed it was intended to be ironic or a gentle bit of trolling, but now I’m not so sure. For the benefit of any elderly men whose wives or carers do their food shopping for them, supermarkets and farms sell eggs by the dozen or half dozen as well as 10s and 15s.

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchDisplayView?catalogId=10241&storeId=10151&langId=&krypto=pMUPObwgJgroYtMgXwERFi07iRCLtlsj09UT+mWd03vieOKJGafMKj809/2kAH2pHxIFfFARdNjcK5pmHK1wV51Qd8hswHNMy/7gcty6Qwkoa1955iM/YceLToz7belkSwWdvLYONet0y5X7TPF3O3vXrmaVT+t0hb/trqjzsHrn5Fq+uNKDmVq7AlzvIxzm#langId=44&storeId=10151&catalogId=10241&categoryId=&parent_category_rn=&top_category=&pageSize=60&orderBy=RELEVANCE&searchTerm=Eggs&beginIndex=0&hideFilters=true&categoryFacetId1=

Milk is available in 2.27 litre containers which is 4 pints for those who prefer the old units!

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/sainsburys-british-semi-skimmed-milk-227l-(4-pint)

A gentle reminder to any elderly drivers, even if you sincerely believe that the EU has banned UK drivers from driving on the left, please don’t drive on the right it won’t end well! ;)

Despite Fadcode’s concerns, elderly men are not exactly an endangered species on this forum, they tend to be front and centre of almost every discussion and this forum’s status as a family friendly beacon for UK bushcrafting will be degraded if every potentially interesting thread degenerates into bad tempered and boring arguments with the same people trotting out variations of the same opinions regardless of the relevance and taking eveery opportunity to deride anyone whose best years are still ahead of them as feckless ”snowflakes”.

As for providing meaningful advice to Tengu, that ship has probably sailed - in future, the Full Members section may be a safer space for sensitive topics.

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
The issue I have is with people of whatever age (but let’s be honest, it’s almost invariably men whose best days are behind them), who have strong opinions on various subjects, an unshakeable belief that they are right about absolutely everything (often despite compelling evidence to the contrary), and that a discussion on any topic will improved by shoehorning in and then defending to the last ditch one of their pet theories.

Thanks for proving my point, no matter how irrelevant it was.

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
If you read this thread, at no time have I made any comment against Tengu or Greta,or climate change etc,so why I was singled out beats me, too many trolls I suppose, but you are right, this thread has past its sell by date as far as I am concerned, there has however been good advice given, it's up to the Op to accept or dismiss it, .

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
Come on Chaps ....... how about we all take a step back from the keyboard ?

By the way..... when can I claim to be an "older gentleman" ? I want to be one of them :)

Don't be in a rush, hopefully your time will come, probably a lot sooner than you hope for........................lol

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Come on Chaps ....... how about we all take a step back from the keyboard ?

By the way..... when can I claim to be an "older gentleman" ? I want to be one of them :)
You’re halfway there. Live long enough and the other half will come all too soon.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
:banghead2: :offtopic:how does that comment get us back on track to the subject????? You have just carried on and totaly ignored what I said a couple of posts back. Some have gallantly tried to get back to the subject... thank you... but you have just once again attacked a child. Your opinion is yours and you are entitled to it but this is NOT the place to air them. We are supposed to be helping Tengu, not airing biased views (one way or another )a teenager with autism or her parents. Please let's get back to the topic or shut up.... as I'm going to do now on this this particular thread. :sulk:
Actually I have “ata led” nobody. I did criticize Greta’s attack on —— well, on most of the world. And a teenager is hardly a “child.”

How is it helping Tengu? From her posts I think we can conclude that Tengu agrees autistics should be treated as anybody else. I’ve never seen Tengu request any special treatment; usually advise on how to cope with difficult situations and a sympathetic ear. Both of which I’m proud to say she can find here.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE