Design Input

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
IMG_20191231_093235_520.jpg
Morning Folks.
Part of my goals for 2020 is to make more of the equipment i use.
With that in mind I'm planning to make a haversack from the hides i recently processed.
In the rough sketch I've got two designs in mind.
First is the "simple" envelope style which seems very popular, often made from waxed cotton/oilcloth, almost standard issue to students and instructors of various schools across the pond
Second is a more complicated build along the lines of a shooting bag with gusset allowing a larger carry capacity.

I tend to avoid overloading a haversack as once I have a certain amount of kit/weight it's over to a rucksack for better weight distribution and comfort in carry

Have i missed any other designs?
Is there a "better" style I haven't seen?
Which would you make and why?

Thanks in advance

Reactions: jasonb

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
How about a waist strap? Keeps bag in place when bending down etc. And helps take part of the weight to the hips.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Make the strap adjustable.
I usually wear my 'foraging' bag cross body style, but that long strap is a pest at times. It's handy to be able to shorten it quickly and tidily.

Also useful is a base that won't soak up water if it's put down on the ground for whatever reason, and make sure that the flap keeps the rain out and doesn't funnel it into the bag at the sides.

Looking forward to seeing your finished piece though :)

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
At that point personally it's time to reach for the rucksack.
this is gonna be a fast n light bimble bag (i've seen haversacks on Ig that are bursting at the seams and i refuse to do that myself)
Waist strap also keeps the bag in place when walking fast/running or jumping, even if your bag is light.

Well, people prefer different things. I would not want to have any sort of shoulder bag without waist strap.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
If it is going to be 25 cm high, a waist belt is quite useless.

Design: I would make the 'body' quite narrow, and longer. With a waist belt. Plus one more handle between the shoulder straps, so you can carry it in one hand.
Two large ( large H2O bottle size ) pockets each side. ( This will make it wider.)

wonderful project!

A tip; Make the shoulder ( and waist) straps well lined and padded, plus wider than you think.
Reason - if you love the design, you will wear it a lot, and maybe pack it full and heavy.

Also, make a way ( thin strap, or eyelets) to keep the shoulder straps together, at a level just above your nipples,], as it will make wearing the bag more comfy.

Last edited:

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
If it is going to be 25 cm high, a waist belt is quite useless.
A shoulder bag will never stay in place when I walk. I place it on the backside and after a while it has moved to the front side because of body movement. And I hate to have to adjust it back time and time and time again or walk with one hand holding the bag in place.
Am I the only one with this problem?

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Yes.
:)

He wants to make a back pack though, not a shoulder bag..

I never, ever wear shoulder bags. Assymetrical load on my damaged lower back.

Even when shopping ( food) I pack two plastic bags at about the same weight. Or make wife carry it.
Marital benefit!

Reactions: Herman30

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
I know what you mean about the desirability of less organization and a quick use, single space bag. But, maybe put in at least one small compartment for keys and torch etc. Or, a strap inside with a clip on it. Small things like that can sneak out of your bag when taking other things out, and you don't realize they are gone until way too late :) Also, there are benefits to an internal divider (whichever way you put it in). Means that your gloves don't have to be under your jacket, and so forth

Also take a look at a Filson Tote for some ideas. I have one and the external pockets on that are just so useful. I was surprised at how much I like them for phones, brollies, newspapers, books, gloves, frisbees for the dog ... well, name it

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I’d probably make the envele style simply because it seems easier and I have absolutely no xperience sewing leather (Apart from restitching knife scabbards) Still, I believe the gusseted, saddlebag style would be more practical.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE