Your Favorite Fruitcake and Christmas Pudding brands?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Monk

Forager
Jun 20, 2004
outandabout
This time of year has got me thinking of Scott and Shackleton and wild cold places with howling winds and lots of white powder falling from the skies...and their eating large amounts of fruitcake and similar items on their travels to the ends of the earth.

Has anyone any favorite brands or store bought sources of fruitcake that they enjoy and can recommend?

Any recommended store brands of Christmas pudding?

Any brands to avoid...dislikes?

Merry eating!

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
They import various brands each year to this place.
I find all traditional versions very good, but on not overly happy about the ‘newfangled’ versions, type Blumenthal’s pud with the whole orange inside.

Some are a bit too alcoholic also.
For the pudding, I feel the preparation method matters more.

But, overall, all nice and tasty!

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Regular panettone, made by Dolce Forneria (a.k.a Il Vecchio Forno SpA) in Italy and sold very reasonably by Wilko. An absolute steal for the price. That will go very well with my tea at some point tonight and for the next few nights. Yum!

Cheers, Bob

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I don't tend to do the traditional cake and pudding due to being gluten free. I do like a cheeky slice of aldi stollen tho. Xmas pudding today was homemade gluten free blackcurrant cheesecake. A real treat as it is made with double cream and cream cheese and blackcurrant curd. Went down a treat at my pals who I spent today with , so much so I left the leftover portion behind at theirs.
Very much a blowout pud!

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Funny, I bought two of of the Kuchrnmei
Tend to go Italian Panettone and German Stollen from a local deli.

Motta Panettone https://www.mottamilano.it/
Marzipan Stollen http://www.kuchenmeister.de/en/products/ctg/7/

Panettone is light and fluffy, and Stollen is the dense, high energy especially with the mazipan.

Ha! Yesterday I bought two Stollen by Kuchenmeister.
Black and red coloured paper container, says ‘luxury marzipan stollen’
10 USD a loaf.
We can also buy a Stollen from Lübeck ( forgot brand, similar to Schwarzenegger) but at 24 USD a loaf maybe not worth it.

We can also buy fake Stollen by Waitrose.
Stollen bites. Ridiculous!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE