For the Skrama fans

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
The Big One is a truly a one off, its actually functional if one has the proper size hands ...

I'll have to ask about the hole, I don't see see any reason for it though. It's not really needed for heat treatment.

I was told a few days ago that they are thinking about making a truly full tang version of the Jääkäripuukko.

Reactions: Nice65

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Maybe to hold the piece stable?
Makes sense.
I can see it being quite useful.

I have never had one, I am more into small knives. But the design, the sturdiness, seems excellent.
Wonder if anybody has replaced the handle for a nicer one?

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Interesting design.
Seax/kiritsuke hybrid.

What is that hole towards the tip for?

Fiskars use this hole on their brash hooks. It’s to stack the cooling blades flat by threading several on a long pin to prevent warping. It can be annoying in use when slashing at brash, but an essential part of the production process.

Reactions: Janne

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
True, Nice65. I am getting old, I should have remembered that.
The new ones have it, I think the old ones with the wood handle too.
Need to check. I have both.
( another project, to rejuvenate the old one. Used it for years and years while trekking in Scandinavia. Memories!)

Who makes these Scramas? Terävä is the manufakturer?
I checked and it means ’sharp’ in Finnish

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Fiskars use this hole on their brash hooks. It’s to stack the cooling blades flat by threading several on a long pin to prevent warping. It can be annoying in use when slashing at brash, but an essential part of the production process.

Yeah I've read that somewhere about mass produced long blades....might have been related to condor knives maybe

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
True, Nice65. I am getting old, I should have remembered that.
The new ones have it, I think the old ones with the wood handle too.
Need to check. I have both.
( another project, to rejuvenate the old one. Used it for years and years while trekking in Scandinavia. Memories!)

Who makes these Scramas? Terävä is the manufakturer?
I checked and it means ’sharp’ in Finnish
Terava is Varustelekas brand name for their knives but they are made by Laurin Metalli Oy.

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I was told a few days ago that they are thinking about making a truly full tang version of the Jääkäripuukko.
If you scroll through the images on the facebook link there is a pic of a prototype for a full tang puukko, and a full tang one handed skrama too.

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Could not find those. But I do know that they are not very happy about the idea. On jääkäripuukko it makes the handle more difficult to make without any real advantage. On skrama might be different but not quite certain about it.

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Yes, a new mould but apparently that was not the point, rather it would make the handle weaker.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Looking at the Finnish store site, the Scrama already has a full tang construction, but the metal is surrounded by the handle.

No point changing the design to a full tang with exposed metal on the bottom and/or spine.

The whole production line would need to be changed.

I am sure it is customer request based.

Last edited:

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
From customers probably, I suggested that they make it as a skeleton blade and let them make the scales as that easier than trying to teach them engineering mechanics ...

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Jääkäri + puukko
Jääkäri comes from German "Jäger" meaning at the time (WW1) a certain kind of light infantry (and also hunter).

It is thick because it was made as a heavy duty puukko for soldiers.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE