Once you go SAK you never go back!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Alright, I have to say this once and for all and by the time you finish reading this you'll definately think I'm crazy. (But I certainly am!)

A few days ago I posted a thread where I whined and complained about how I was sick and tired of SAK's, tired of the small size of the knife and the blade steel. Well, I take it all back. Once I posted the thread, I stopped carrying one as an EDC. Everything was kosher for a couple of days, but then the depression started kicking in. As much as I hate to admit this, I started to miss my chintzy little red knife with it's much loved red plastic handles. I missed having that little bottle opener around for when I wanted a quick beer, and dare I say it, I missed that three inch razor thin "soft steel" blade. And maybe that blade isn't so bad after all, sure it's a tad on the soft side but the geometry is so acute that it always push cuts with no complaints, even if when it's rolled.

Since then my SAK has returned to it's rightful place, in my left side trouser pocket. And there it will stay. Oh, and I promise I won't complain about SAK's any longer.

:D

Adam

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
i forgot mine when i left the house on wednesday, man how i missed it. it was like leaving one of my arms behind and my right trouser pocket felt wrong without it there. :( i tried to compromise by putting my zippo in there but it just wasn't right if you know what i mean... :puppy_dog

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
When I was a nipper my mother told me that when I learned to read that she would buy me a swiss army knife, that put a bomb under my backside :D

Far more recently, there was a special offer on in the local builders merchants for swiss champs plus a AAA maglite for 39 quid.
I got one for my girfriend who makes jewellery and now it's never more than a few feet away from her, fixing stuff.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
addyb said:
Yeah, it's funny how it feels to not have an SAK in your pocket. I guess once a person carries one long enough, it almost becomes a necessity. And I carry a Zippo too.

Adam

I own a Zippo but really they are not my thing, I was forever filling it up even when I didn't use it.

Also whatever people say, mine was never keen on proper petrol, it only seemed to like lighter fluid and didn't light with normal petrol.
I can forgive that in something that can hold it's fuel for more than a week without needing re-fuelling but not a Zippo.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
I'd rather leave the house without my trousers than without my SAK. :eek:

Can't remember a day when I haven't used it for something.

The steel is soft but easy to sharpen and as the blade is thin it always seems sharp anyway.Of course the SAK is a compromise but it must be one of the best compromises ever. :D

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
I admit that Zippos dont hold their fuel well, but I use mine each time I have a ciggy :( so it lasts longer than a week. Also I carry a few matches in my wallet for when the Zippo unexpectedly runs out of fuel ;)

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
sxmolloy said:
I admit that Zippos dont hold their fuel well, but I use mine each time I have a ciggy :( so it lasts longer than a week. Also I carry a few matches in my wallet for when the Zippo unexpectedly runs out of fuel ;)

Don't get me wrong though, they are very good at lighting things, it's just the "running out of fuel even when not used" bit that gets up my nose.

Mind thats more important to me cos I don't smoke so the amount of times I actually need a light is greatly reduced.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
It's true, those crazy thin blades always seem sharp and never complain about slicing, even when they're rolled over. That's probably why some people I know I haven't sharpened their SAK's in years. And yeah, it forgave me for ignoring it for a few days.

I use my Zippo too each time I light up a ciggy because hey, I'm young, stupid, invincible and I don't plan on giving up the habit just yet. (Maybe in a few years) Anyway, I fill mine up every week and a half, and I've stretched it out to two weeks more than once. There's a few tricks to it though:

If you leave a Zippo laying on it's side when not in use, say like on your computer desk; the fuel evaporates a LOT slower than if you leave the lighter standing up.

If you bend the wick backwards towards the flintwheel, the flame size decreases and you use less fuel. Or vice versa if you want a bigger flame.

All in all, even when I do quit smoking I don't ever plan on not using a Zippo. The last time I went out to do some bushcraft, my buddy dropped mine into a river. Twice. It still lit up the very first time, even after he had to dive down to get it. :)

Adam

useless

Tenderfoot
Oct 20, 2005
Hampshire, UK
And, of course, when you break your SAK (as I have done twice in the 17 years I have had my MASSIVE champ'), you can get it repaired for free.

Of course, you have to send it away. And then wait, and wait...

The first few days of waiting are the worst. The next few days are the worst as well. Then it just kind of goes down hill from there.....

And then you get it back. Shiny. Clean. Sharp as sharp stuff.

SAK :You_Rock_

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
addyb said:
Alright, I have to say this once and for all and by the time you finish reading this you'll definately think I'm crazy. (But I certainly am!)

A few days ago I posted a thread where I whined and complained about how I was sick and tired of SAK's, tired of the small size of the knife and the blade steel. Well, I take it all back. Once I posted the thread, I stopped carrying one as an EDC. Everything was kosher for a couple of days, but then the depression started kicking in. As much as I hate to admit this, I started to miss my chintzy little red knife with it's much loved red plastic handles. I missed having that little bottle opener around for when I wanted a quick beer, and dare I say it, I missed that three inch razor thin "soft steel" blade. And maybe that blade isn't so bad after all, sure it's a tad on the soft side but the geometry is so acute that it always push cuts with no complaints, even if when it's rolled.

Since then my SAK has returned to it's rightful place, in my left side trouser pocket. And there it will stay. Oh, and I promise I won't complain about SAK's any longer.

:D

Adam

Geez, I'm finally glad you came to yer senses. :D :lmao:

pteron

Acutorum Opifex
Nov 10, 2003
Wiltshire
pteron.org
demographic said:
Don't get me wrong though, they are very good at lighting things, it's just the "running out of fuel even when not used" bit that gets up my nose.

One trick to stop all the fuel evaporating is to put a ranger band around it to seal it.

geoff88

Forager
Jul 14, 2006
SW England
If you are into sak's try to watch a tv program called Survivorman. Think it has only been shown in the US but we may get it in the UK if we are lucky.

Geoff

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE