Good winter gloves?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

camperman

Mar 14, 2015
sidcup
Evening All,
Wife is suffering with very cold hands even in temps as high as 8 degrees. Any recommendations on some good gloves to see her through the winter. Thanks.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
I bought a pair of North Face gloves, and my wife preferred Berghaus, for our northern lights photography trips to northern Norway. Both makes coped well with the very cold nights while retaining enough dexterity to operate DSLRs. Alternatively, and I don’t know if they’re still available, have a look for motorcycle gloves where the fingers are only divided into two groups plus a thumb. I can’t remember the make now, but they worked quite well for me over long (60 mile each way) commutes in winter.
Cheers, Bob

edit: I had the Rukka gloves -
Rukka GTX 3 Chamb 2 finger waterproof Gore-Tex motorcycle winter glove , but there are also the Frank Thomas DriVis Claw gloves

Last edited:

camperman

Mar 14, 2015
sidcup
I bought a pair of North Face gloves, and my wife preferred Berghaus, for our northern lights photography trips to northern Norway. Both makes coped well with the very cold nights while retaining enough dexterity to operate DSLRs. Alternatively, and I don’t know if they’re still available, have a look for motorcycle gloves where the fingers are only divided into two groups plus a thumb. I can’t remember the make now, but they worked quite well for me over long (60 mile each way) commutes in winter.
Cheers, Bob

edit: I had the Rukka gloves -
Rukka GTX 3 Chamb 2 finger waterproof Gore-Tex motorcycle winter glove , but there are also the Frank Thomas DriVis Claw gloves
Don't suppose you know which berghaus Bob? I can't see her liking the claw glove I'm afraid.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I go for the old army surplus NI leather gloves, available at all good surplus emporiums.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Extremities do a good Mitt called inferno or super inferno. I bought one years ago for £30 but think they're a tenner more now. Best value warmth for winter. You can buy a bit bigger to fit liner gloves to add even more warmth. Mitts are so much warmer than gloves. I used these with ice axes too so dexterity isn't a problem.

Just found out from their website that this mitt is no longer sold. There's alternatives but cost £60

Last edited:
Reactions: Janne

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
Last year I bought some Sealskinz gloves on sale, reduced from £50’to £25.
They are fine as long as you are moving/hands warm when they go in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I have long, skinny fingers and very poor circulation. I certainly qualify for COLD hands.
The most popular brand here is Watson. They make gloves for all kinds of applications.
I do not know how many different pairs I own. "Ropers" of deer skin that you can cinch up with your teeth.
You name it. I like unlined leather gloves up to 20+C temps. Tedious garden tasks ( pruning grape vines).
Best?
Down to -5C, leather gloves with a woven plush pile inner lining glove. Fuzzy and warm. Any fuzzy liner traps air and heat.
Can you find gloves with extra liners so one set can dry while she wears the other?
Colder than that, Tolko snowmobile gloves. Big and thick and not motorcycle gloves. I doubt you ride in -20C blizzards.
Nice at -25C with excellent manual dexterity. That's the fekking day to swap out the main battery in my Suburban.

I bought Gore-Tex lined gloves. My hands sweated and got so cold in winter, the gloves were a liability.
Into the bin they went. Never again.

If I get stuck outside but no work, I have big "over-mittens" of leather. They are plain moosehide leather
and they have an 8" cuff to cover the ends of my coat sleeves. They are meant to go over gloves in case you have
to do fiddly stuff. The First Nations Dene' mittens often have the most wonderfiu; bead work on them.

Watch some video of the mushers in the #1 sled event, the Iditirod. Look at their hands.

I believe that you get what you pay for. Outdoors with manual dexterity at stake, buy good stuff.
Indoors for wood carving, I wear cloth lined leather gloves (3 pairs/$5) for heat, vibration and for clean.
Safety is rarely ever an issue in my carving style.

Reactions: camperman

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Evening All,
Wife is suffering with very cold hands even in temps as high as 8 degrees. Any recommendations on some good gloves to see her through the winter. Thanks.
If she is suffering from Raynaud syndrome, mittens are the safest option.

If not, a nice pair of lined/ insulated leather gloves are not difficult to find. Must not be a tight fit as not to restrict the blood flow.

Reactions: camperman

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
The other thing you could try is buy a pair of running gloves to use as liners inside ski gloves, if you pay extra you can get the ones with magic fingers so she can still use her phone.

Faz

Mar 24, 2011
Cheshire
I use these American Air Force high altitude thermal gloves/mitts and have found it impossible to get cold. Not as flexible as some on here but these and a BAS buffalo parka make it cosy enough to drop off in while it’s freezing outside!

If in stock some places have them around £20.

90489d60689e5b15021574a6ffcd5a66.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Have a look at Mountain Warehouse. They are not a 'fashionable' brand, but these ladies gloves are excellent :D They are both warm and waterproof, and they're not so bulky that they can't be worn in normal daily use....and they're on sale just now at under £20. So within your budget.

https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/s...treme-waterproof-glove-p11819.aspx/dark grey/

If she prefers dressier gloves, then I use, and recommend merino lined ladies leather gloves.

https://www.johnlewis.com/john-lewi...nV7IqnskVVBnJOjJ3H8aAvkeEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Around £35 though, so a bit high on the budget. Dent's are nicer, and a lot more expensive, but John Lewis' are very good.

M

Reactions: tiger stacker

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Yeah! See kpeter20's mittens? See the big cuff? That's arctic and Inuit design.
Maybe overkill in a warm UK winter city.
That's all she needs to hold a snow shovel. Hint, hint. Shovelling the sidewalk takes no practice at all.

Just don't be so hasty as to buy lined (pile/wool/etc) leather gloves too small.
The gloves need that open floating space for insulation.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Mittens will always be warmer than gloves, like for like. Old fashioned Dachstein mitts are still a great bit of kit, warm even when wet and roomy enough to wear thermal inners. That said my mitts of choice are an ancient pair of Wintergear goretex and fleece mitts, outstanding ! RIP Ben Wintringham.

Juha

May 27, 2017
Northern Finland
Best is finnish army M05 leathers mittens with wool inner mitten. Unfortunately you cannot buy those but somehow I happen to have pair of those ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE