A question of glue...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Just wondering what sort of glue you good people could recommend for fixing the sole back on my Muckboot:
IMG_20191209_142702.jpg

Z

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Gorilla glue. It fixes anything! Ive even used it to fix coat hooks that kept comming out of the wall and it holds with two heavy winter tweed coats. Held fine for over a year.
There is also shoe glue available on amazon but I've never tried that.

Trail Snail

Tenderfoot
Mar 27, 2009
Wales
I had to the both soles on my walking shoes recently and used carpet glue (the stuff in an aerosol can) on the largest area, clamped overnight, and finished the rubber bit at the toecap with superglue. It seems to have worked well.

Reactions: Toddy

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Ahh, adhesive bonding, in most cases the best would be low Tg two component polyurethane but that does slightly depend on the material. Aquasure is a Neoprene adhesive that works well with, ... Neoprene and a few rubbery things. I have used the here ubiquitous Liquisole and a few times one component urethanes used by builders.

Gorilla glue is a CA and as such does not have gapping properties works well in narrow cracks.

Whatever you choose the main problem'll be how to clean the surfaces as dirty surface would prevent any adhesive from properly working. There are a few exceptions but those do not apply here.

Reactions: dwardo

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Ahh, adhesive bonding,... the main problem'll be how to clean the surfaces.
I vaguely remember a lecture on adhesives at college. I seem to remember wet and bendy in use are problematic for most adhesives. As for cleaning I think I will rip the whole sole off as it seems to coming away all round. Then I can get to the surfaces more easily. I was thinking a light abrasion with some sandpaper (if the instructions call for it) and then a good wipe down with meths (I have other solvents but I don't want to melt the boots!)

Thanks all for your suggestions.

Z

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
+1 for Shoe Goo.

It bonds well, is flexible. In addition to refix a rubber sole, it also replaced a huge chunk that was missing.

Lasted well until wife discovered how ugly the shoes were and threw them away!

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Actually the best cleaning practice is to first use cleaning solvent then abrasive and solvent again. Otherwise there is a possibility that the sanding just spreads a sticky substance all over.

Reactions: Zingmo

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Water, dishwasher liquid, tooth brush, rinse well.
Dry well.
Shoe Goo.

That is what I did. Have and had no decent solvents.

What solvent would you recommend?
Acetone? Petrol? That one ( forgot name) that kids sniff?

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Water is a solvent and not a bad one for many substances.

Acetone or MEK (methylethylketone) are two that I use most. But as Z said a test is in order if suitability is not known.

Reactions: Janne

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I take mine to the repair shop. Professional job. Correct glue. What's not to like?

Doesn't always stick. No idea why, but my favourite blue shopping shoes have been in twice and failed twice. I bought the shoe goo, cleaned up the inner soles and stuck it down.
It's lasted fine, and it didn't cost me £8.50 as it did twice before.
I just cleaned off the previous gunk as best I could with a sharp knife, wiped it down with cellulose thinners and let it dry.

M

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Doesn't always stick. No idea why, but my favourite blue shopping shoes have been in twice and failed twice. I bought the shoe goo, cleaned up the inner soles and stuck it down.
It's lasted fine, and it didn't cost me £8.50 as it did twice before.
I just cleaned off the previous gunk as best I could with a sharp knife, wiped it down with cellulose thinners and let it dry.

M

You have a favourite pair of blue shopping shoes? :D Mine are a pair of manky old British Army Arctic socks and a decent internet connection.

In summer I have shopping flip-flops, so I’ll consider a pair in blue. :tongue:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE