Tatonka Camp Set/Scout Set

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

campj

May 29, 2013
England
I was looking for a stainless frying pan and found the Tatonka Regular Camp Set locally with 50% discount. I believe the Scout Set is the same pan and bowl without the pot.

I picked it up last now and find the handle quite strange. When locked into place, it's lower than the pan so the pan can't sit flat and the handle would be resting in the coals.

Does anyone else have this set or do people only use the Kettles?

https://www.tatonka.com/en/product/camp-set-regular/

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
In my opinion most Tatonka kitchen stuff is idiotic.

Tatonka sells relatively good other stuff, and that's the reason why their kitchen stuff is offered everywhere too.

Since decades are a lot of excellent constructions in use. I don't understand why brands continue to offer such nonsense.

campj

May 29, 2013
England
The handle on the frying pan is certainly idiotic. I don't know whether to return the set or to chop the handle off and get a pot grabber.

I can get the Primus stainless frying pan which is bigger (21cm vs 2 * 17cm) locally for 35€, the Tatonka set was only 20€

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
The pot handle is idiotic too!

Give it back!

The trader should feel that he gets a bit pain if he sells nonsense to the people.

That rubbish is called a ( boy ) scout set!
You should help to protect the children.

Parents think, that would be good for young people and the children don't understand, that it's rubbish, even if they use it. That selling system works well since minimum 20 years.
It is necessary to make enough noise to stop that!
Every military mess kit is better than that!

The Primus Stainless Steel stuff is better constructed than the Tatonka stuff. But that's no reason to call it good.

I can't remember the pan, because after I looked at the pots I decided to look for something else.

The large pot and pan that I use isn't available any longer. That I can't recommend you any more.

And I am not so interested in pans.
In my opinion the best is a small old iron pan from the flea market for camping and just pot, mug and 2 bottles for hiking.

I think it's the best if you open a new thread about pans, so you will get recommendations from people who use them.
Or you try to find an old thread. There aren't so many camping pans on the market.

Grip Plyers are nonsense in my opinion.
I hate them. It's no problem to attach the handle to the mug, pot or pan directly.

Grip plyers are unnecessary stressy and risky, if people sit around.
If you loose your carried water and last food because the handle wasn't attached to the pot, you will understand me!

Did you have a look at the MSR Alpine Stowaway 1,6 litres Pot?
https://www.walkonthewildside.de/kochgeschirr/2770-msr-alpine-stowaway-pots-edelstahltoepfe.html

Last edited:

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
That Tatonka set does not look handy. I have used Trangias for ages and have been mostly satisfied but it takes some getting used to. I have a KAP burner and a gas one in addition to the std alcohol one. I am thinking of getting something slightly smaller but have not found anything yet.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
I was looking for a stainless frying pan and found the Tatonka Regular Camp Set locally with 50% discount. I believe the Scout Set is the same pan and bowl without the pot.

I picked it up last now and find the handle quite strange. When locked into place, it's lower than the pan so the pan can't sit flat and the handle would be resting in the coals.

Does anyone else have this set or do people only use the Kettles?

https://www.tatonka.com/en/product/camp-set-regular/
I believe they are a reproduction of a Ww2 set, very familiar design, a stovie should be able to tell you. A frying pan, pot and plate. Just as a note, if you put your pan onto the coals it may not get hot very quick due to the suffocation of flames !

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE