Replacing tent poles

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
A section of my aluminium tent pole snapped on the last trip. It's not an especially expensive tent but seems worth fixing.
If I get a whole new pole they seem to have fewer sections for the length and I'll still need to trim. Would you just cut down the end section or take some off each? (The longer sections will still fit in the bag so not a deal breaker)

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Being metal, I'm assuming that they're in the tent straight. In that case I would just shorten the one as I would see no issue.

If they're curved, I would be more wary as unsure how it would affect the stress on the shorter piece.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
If the existing pole squashed flat when it broke, I'd cut the squashed bits off and fit a piece of a smaller diameter tubing inside the old pole. If you can find a piece of scrap tubing with a close fit inside, or at a pinch, outside the original pole material, so much the better. Then glue in place with some tough adhesive. If its only a short length being repaired, the rest of the old poles will bend a little more to accommodate the short non-bending section.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I would shorten every tube because that's more compact. May be you will lighten your load in the next years and buy a smaller rucksack?

Reactions: Billy-o

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
No they get bent (it's a small tunnel tent). Maybe I can find a replacement section and cut it to length.

I was trying to think of tents I've had or seen with bending metal poles before I answered before but I could only picture Force 10 style straight poles or for bending ones fibreglass. I had forgotten about my old Vaude tent that had metal curved poles - much nicer than the fibreglass ones so I shouldn't have forgotten!

Presumably the ends aren't too extreme in the bend so I would just trim the one and have it as an end section. If you cut each one, you'll need to ensure you cut each piece parallel so it sits flush, de-burr each cut so it doesn't damage the tent and more cuts is more chance for a muck-up.

Equally, I would be tempted to drop the manufacturer an e-mail if you're not in a rush.

Reactions: plastic-ninja

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
I'm going to double check the size (I have misplaced my callipers). If I can I will replace a single section (though will probably get a replacement pole and use the rest for an idea I have).

The tent is a Stormshield Xenon (I think it was Blacks own brand) but must be 15 years old. It's not the lightest but I don't tend to carry it but often don't have space to pitch a bigger tent.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Another option would be to ask in the forum for old poles. I for example have some fibrepoles I could gift.

(But I have them in Berlin...)

Or you ask at the local camping ground. They find that stuff regularly in the dust bins.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
I have some very nice alloy poles in my old Vango Hydra. Unfortunately I do need them so couldn’t offer them to the OP, but if someone has a broken Hydra, they might be a good match. They are as tough as heck though, and even I - a total klutz - have been unable to break them.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
I bought a pole off eBay, I only replaced the broken section. I've now got a bunch of spare sections.

While replacing the section I numbered all the sections before taking the elastic out so that I could put them back in the same order.

Woody110

Mod
Mod
Mar 8, 2009
Leeds, Yorkshire
I bought a pole off eBay, I only replaced the broken section. I've now got a bunch of spare sections.

While replacing the section I numbered all the sections before taking the elastic out so that I could put them back in the same order.
I have the same tent, and the same problem. I don’t suppose you have a link for where you got the replacement pole?

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
I had to replace some poles this summer for a huge 6 man tent my wife got given. Measure the diameter of the poles (a digital vernier caliper is really useful) and their length (you can trim to match the original), and then buy something similar from Amazon, GoOutdoors, nEbay or somewhere online. Obviously make sure that the end of the section will fit, and off you go, although it might be worth replacing the shock cording if its a bit shot.

What I did find out the hard way is to take photos and mark the original poles and where they fit (because I didnt ,and wasted loads of time), and if its made of fibreglass, then use gloves when you are cutting the poles, because the bits are horrible in your fingers.

Chalkflint

Tenderfoot
Mar 6, 2017
Oxford
I am lucky as I work in engineering so have access to odd bits of tubing etc to make any new adaptors I need.
But a trick I also use to repair fibreglass poles is use "Heatshrink"
For those of you that dont know what it is, heatshrink is a plastic sleeve which shrinks down to 25% of its original diameter when heat is applied (used a lot in electronics). Its a quick easy repair for poles that are splitting/split. You need a diameter that slides over the metal ferrule on the end and then position it over the fibreglass pole and heat it up with anything from a flame (if careful) to a hair dryer if you are at home. Its great to carry for an emergency as a small length weighs nothing. takes up no space and is a two minute fix. I have repaired several poles like this and they are still going strong.
Another tip is find your local family camp site and hunt around the bins. Whenever I go away with the family I am amazed what equipment gets thrown out as its got broken (especially after a bit of high wind) I have seen tents, gazebos, chairs, barbeques (charcoal and gas) plus various other equipment that would be a wealth of spares or even easily repairable.
Chalkflint

Reactions: Robson Valley

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
I have the same tent, and the same problem. I don’t suppose you have a link for where you got the replacement pole?
I got it from eBay but they're also sold on Amazon. It's a 8.5mm pole you need.

Hadn't thought about using heat shrink tubing. I'll have to check if I have any big enough to go over a pole. I've used it to replace aglots on shoe laces.

Reactions: Woody110

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE