A Challenge 2nd lighter weight over nighter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Here we go ladies and gentlemen!! A 2nd lighter weight over night trip planned for tomorrow.....

A little teaser, a taster if you like, of something to come. As seems to have become the norm, here's me kit. A slight change to the last lighter weight over night. I have been looking at my kit and geekin a bit in UL forums. So my nalgene bottles have been swapped out for a lighter option, me Trangia has been swapped for something lighter and I've ditched stuff that I dint use last time.

I have rule see.... my rule is: if I aint got it I aint buying it. Use what I have got and try to get a bit lighter.

I'm NOT going mental and trying to be a weight sadist, I just want to see how light I can go with my own kit. So here is version 2 of my attempt at a lighter weight load out. BOOM.....

c22e274ec49442f50814f93e8d690227.jpg

Group 1 cooking and useful stuff

2 x 850ml smartwater bottles
Sawyer mini filter
Ravpower charging pack
Tatonka 500ml cup
Beer can stove and lighter (inside cup)
Yellow folda-cup
Metal spoon
Pocket knife (Rangergrip 78)
Mini wash, toilet kit.

Group 2 clothing

Karrimor dry bag
Goretex socks
Thermal top and bottoms
Merino wool buff
Sealskinz gloves
Berghaus primaloft jacket

Group 3 sleeping kit

Down sleeping bag
Snugpak SF Bivi Bag (sleeping bag inside)
Cuts down roll mat as a sit pad
Inflatable roll mat
Jerven bag

That's it folks. All packed in my deuter groden 32ltr pack.

2026c476a55899e6772b2bbd4218af52.jpg

It feels lighter than last time so I think I'm getting lighter. I don't weigh it, I'm not that obsessive. Food wise I've packed a noodle cup meal for dinner (I'll be heading out after a big lunch), a coffee sachet, tea bag, 2 sweeteners, a ritter sport hazelnut chocolate bar and some oat cakes. That'll do.

As before, my plan is to head out early afternoon, find a spot and do something before settling in for the night. I'll be up very early to get back home to help with the morning chores.

Watch this space for an update once I have been out!!!

PS: I will most likely arrive at a spot to camp by as the light fades so I'll have a good few hours to amuse myself before bedding down, so give me something to do! A task, a challenge, something fun or something to expand my bushcraft knowledge!! Put your ideas below and I'll pick the one that sounds the best and I promise to do my best to do it!

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
At Tesco they do water bottle 750ml Arto Lifewtr which is full compatible with the sawyer and other filters properly with the right connection unlike the smart water ones. They did do another which also had a sport bottle cap which was also compatible but I can not find it on the web site it was the ACTiPH that had the sport bottle top i think it was around the 600ml mark as well.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
If you fill up the water bottles ( 1.8 liters) then you will not need the filtering system?

Not heavy but not needed.
You might save weight taking a c. cell foam underlay only, instead of the sit-on piece and inflatable mat.

I think you got it down to a minimum but still comfortable level.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I take it you cannot light a fire where you are going? Firecraft skills are always good to practice.especially lighting a fire with damp stuff that you have found around you. Even if you don't go for a full out fire, practice getting a flame and a few twigs lit.
I don't know your skill level. But assume you are relatively proficient. Can you carve a spoon or make some sort of cooking / eating implement? Spatula or tongs perhaps.

Reactions: Van-Wild

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Excellent suggestions so far, but I suggest you set camp, find a nice spot, a tree to sit against, brew yourself a cup and just sit and listen to Nature!

Sometimes doing nothing is doing a lot for our wellbeing!

( he only has a small folder, so limited cutting power, WG!)

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
( he only has a small folder, so limited cutting power, WG!)[/QUOTE]

It's surprising what you can do with a small folder!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE