Burnt Ear ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I think his thinking was that the scalpel blade is sterile, and has a nice point and shape for delicate work!

Do any of you girls and boys carry a scalpel in your FAK?
I keep a wrapped razor blades covered with a good wad of clingfilm.
I know he said that he used a scalpel to enlarge the wound and get the tip of the thorn out, .... so heat the blade and use that? Red Hot? Ow!!!! I can understand opening the wound a bit to get the thorn out... but the rest.... what can I say!
I've dealt with many head wounds over the years both myself and the kids, but always pressure to stop bleeding and steristrips or a trip to A and E for stitches depending on the severity of the situation and possibility of concussion.
Head wounds bleed like nobody's business but I've never thought I needed to cauterise.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I guess he dug out the tip, then heated up the scalpel and cauterized...
Pure pain x 2!

I do not think I would like him as a companion on my treks, I would have to keep en eye on him at all, times, in case he reached for the lighter.....
:)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I think his thinking was that the scalpel blade is sterile, and has a nice point and shape for delicate work!

Do any of you girls and boys carry a scalpel in your FAK?
Pretty much anything will be sterile if you heat it that hot.

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
I sterilised the Scalpel Blade after cutting the thorn out and as mentioned above it was glowing red hot when I used it to close the deeper longer wound, Plus Believe it or not I know what and how to treat these matter's.
And bare in mind I asked a ? on how / what would be the easiest / quickest way to cover the wound, without a improvised mini FAFD.
Cheer's

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
And to think this is what Bushcraft has become some 20 years into the 21st Century!

There is however an upside to this searingly painful story as at least the ubiquitous YouTube Bushcrafting upload will be transformed from one that ends after our Tyro has made fire and finished their brew as we may now look forward to interesting footage of self-mutilation.

K

Reactions: Janne

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
It has been said they used to place gun powder into a wound, then igniting it, to cauterise ( and sterilized by accident) it, but I do not know if this is just a myth.

(Having myself ignited both black and smokeless gun powder many times,, I suspect it is.)

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
It has been said they used to place gun powder into a wound, then igniting it, to cauterise ( and sterilized by accident) it, but I do not know if this is just a myth.

(Having myself ignited both black and smokeless gun powder many times,, I suspect it is.)

Don't give him ideas!

Reactions: Janne

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida

I suppose it’s possible but I’d think it wouldn’t burn in the actual wound after being wet by the blood.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
My thinking too, unless the dry powder flame dries the wet powder then ignites it.

Years ago, I tried this with a piece of pork, made a cut, then put a .38 Special cartridge full of of powder and ignited.
Tried both old fashioned black powder and smokeless ( Norma brand) powder.
Burn damage was bad. Would be a medical disaster to do on your body.

Wound in pork was dryish though.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Didn't Dave Canterbury intentionally sliced open his own arm so he could do that

and It took the dude running around in bare feet to call him an idiot...

Reactions: santaman2000

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Weird Capricciosa’s beard did not catch fire.....

Edit: nice to hear a such many screams as from The Stallion!

Many of my mil friends bought those German made Rambo style knifes.
POS they were.
I wish Rambo had used an Opinel.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Weird Capricciosa’s beard did not catch fire.....

Edit: nice to hear a such many screams as from The Stallion!

Many of my mil friends bought those German made Rambo style knifes.
POS they were.
I wish Rambo had used an Opinel.
They should have ordered a real Lile one.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE