Nightcap

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I have no central heating so have to wrap up snug in bed.

Blankets, Down duvet, hot water bottle, bedsocks and all.

I made some mittens from worn out socks for my hands. (go well over my wrists)

(And then she will overheat and kick it all off...)

But my head is bare, and though I might well hide under my bedding, its still cold.

Anyone ever wore a nightcap?

Good designs for a nightcap? I have bits of old wool blanket and a wore out fleece.

------------

...Now think how miserable I would be in a heated room....everything would come off and like as not I would be up and down all night, drinking and loo...

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Yep, wore one in the bush in my early 20's.
You know those South American / Inca style caps?

Similar.
Do not make it to snug. Irritating. And be sure the stitching/seams are not in a place that irritate you.

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I have central heating but I'm too cheap to put it on. I also hate sleeping in a warm bedroom, gives me a headache. I sleep hot but if it's really cold I use a wool slouchy hat. It's too big for me so it doesn't fit too tightly and get uncomfortable, and I can pull it down over my ears.

Reactions: santaman2000

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You said you had a worn out fleece ? Have a try with the top of the arm over your head. If it's comfortable you can just make a tube from that and tie the top end with a hair bobble, a bit of string or a strong elastic band.

You could make a hat properly from the fleece though, but keep it simple at first and see how it works out for you.

Somewhere, a while ago, I posted a thread on upcycling wool pullovers. There were a couple of hat patterns in that. I know a few of the photos were dayglo pink, but the instructions I gave were fairly clear. Fleece is easy to sew, and very forgiving.

M

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
Could you not just wear either a normal beanie hat, or buff to save making a hat?
If cold when camping I will wear the above to keep warm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
As a baldie, when sleeping in a cold bedroom or outside, I wear a Särmä TST L1 Merino Wool Beanie, bought from Varusteleka. It is thin, light, and has flat seams. It is also warm enough to keep me happy and comfy in my sleep. I suppose one could be made from an old worn out fine wool jumper, although the flat seams appear to be quite tricky to do at home.

Cheers, Bob

Reactions: Snufkin

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
As a baldie, when sleeping in a cold bedroom or outside, I wear a Särmä TST L1 Merino Wool Beanie, bought from Varusteleka. It is thin, light, and has flat seams. It is also warm enough to keep me happy and comfy in my sleep. I suppose one could be made from an old worn out fine wool jumper, although the flat seams appear to be quite tricky to do at home.

Cheers, Bob
Great bits of kit, and surprisingly warm for the size and thickness. I always pop one in my pack just in case. I also use one under my cycling helmet for the chilly spring/autumn commutes.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Perhaps a bit of blanket over the head would work
I had a thin fleecey one that I could snuggle over my head and shoulders. I find with my fine hair a hat comes off halfway through the night so I just fling an extra blanket over top to cover my head.
I remember living in a mobile home in a bad cold winter... so cold that bathwater would freeze before it could drain away! Stay warm and well my friend.

Reactions: santaman2000

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Could you not just wear either a normal beanie hat, or buff to save making a hat?
If cold when camping I will wear the above to keep warm.

I’m not sure she has those, Tengu lives lean.

I wear a hat in bed if I’m out camping, it makes a huge difference and saves me hooking my sleeping bag up over my head and breathing into it. Cut a sleeve off the fleece up at the shoulder seam, see if it fits your head. If it does, it’s just a cut and sew job for a proper nightcap. Or like Toddy says. Actually, exactly like Toddy says with her advice that I’m repeating. :facepalm:

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I could send you one of my wool knitted hats if you'd like one Tengu. I think I have your address still. I'll pop one in the post soon as I can.

Reactions: Nice65

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
If you have no room heat I'd suggest a re-work of your bedroom - 4 poster beds created a microclimate

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I don't think a four poster would work in a caravan... even if tengu could
A find one.
B afford it.
But I've had an idea that might help. I remember on a utube video about preparing for a winter blackout someone suggested a small freestanding 2 man dome tent set up on the bed with the bedding inside it. Sounds daft but the idea is similar . Could help trap heat . Worth a try. All you need is one of those realy cheap single skin dome tents (£15 from tesco jobs) or a pop up.
Put a blanket over that too and it would be a lovely micro climate.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
You need a bit of fabric, but you can create a kind of tent, hanging down from one point above the bed. Think tropical mozzie net. Think a conical witch hat.

Should work well with 2 or three blankets too, stitched together.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Given the approaching Christmas season I’ll go out on a limb and say there will probably soon be an excess of Santa hats to be had.

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
A "bunnet"
jenjoycedesignc2a9dicey-bonnet.jpg

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Reading through this thread has reminded me that my grandfather would take the tea-cozy from the pot and use it for both a nightcap...and as a beanie when on watchman duties.
Chuckling at the memory
Ceeg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE