Dyneema tarp ridgeline

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

AudiolabQ

Nov 16, 2019
Wales, UK
Hi guys,
I've had a really good price for 10m / 6mm Dyneema cordage, would 6mm be overkill for a tarp ridgeline and against weight / storage?

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Hi guys,
I've had a really good price for 10m / 6mm Dyneema cordage, would 6mm be overkill for a tarp ridgeline and against weight / storage?

What kind of Dyneema cord? 100% Dyneema braid, or does it have a polyester over-braid? The former tends to be slick and not take tarp set-up knots well.

For a single person shelter, 6mm dyneema is overkill.

I weigh around the 160lb mark and hang my hammock on sub-3mm Amsteel (100% Dyneema braid). Tarp ridge does not need to be as strong as hammock suspension.

There is a point of view that suggest that in jungle, where tree limbs may fall on the camp, that a strong tarp ridge can save you by deflecting wood, but I have seen the arguments about this and don't think it stands up well to examination and debate.

Outside the jungle, pretty ridiculous reason for using a rope to put up a little tarp.

Now on bigger tarps used for group cooking/living area, 6mm line isn't so bad an idea, but, although you don't need Dyneema strength. I use a 6mm polyester rope for a ridge on my 4m x 3m tarp when setting up a living area at the Moot. Think I have about 15m of line for that. The thicker rope allows for better gripping of prussik type knots, which resist wind loading on the bigger tarp. I can put a bit more tension on the bigger line, without worrying about breaking knots. Longer spans which one often wants in order to position a bigger dry footprint in a convenient clearing do benefit from higher tension to limit sag.

For 10m, for single person use, I think 3mm is plenty.

Reactions: AudiolabQ

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Oh tamerack have 2.5mm single braid for 99p a metre atm
Can't remember if I said earlier in the thread but I use 2mm double braid for the ridgeline

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE