Old Ray Mears Series.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

themac

Forager
Jan 6, 2006
Milton Keynes
No this tash was waaay worse, very fine, thin, spindly running along his top lip, no beard. Made him look like a 19 year old trying to look older.

Longbow lad

May 3, 2006
southampton
Dear Sir or Madam,

Over the past years I have thoroughly enjoyed watching 'Bushcraft' presented by Ray Mears and his other series of "Extreme Survival", and "Heroes of Telemark", all of which I have purchased on DVD.

Rays earlier programmes, namely 'Tracks' and 'World of Survival'. Are not available to buy on DVD, This is an enormous pity as 'Tracks' is often regarded in the bushcraft community as the best series he has made, and was one of my most favourite programmes. Rays growth in popularity and almost legendary status amongst outdoor enthusiasts is meaning that more people are aware of his earlier programmes and want to buy a copy.

It would be fantastic to see both of these series available to buy on DVD, I believe that there must be thousand of people in the UK that would love to buy these DVD’s.

Would you be willing to commission both 'Tracks' and 'World of Survival' for public release on DVD, surely as many people watch Rays programmes as watch the Attenborough nature documentaries.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Hi All

I sent my letter off a while back and recieved the following reply today:

"Dear Mr Hainsworth

Many thanks for your letter dated 21st April 2006, and please accept my apologies for the tardy response.

I'm afraid there are currently no plans to release TRACKS or WORLD OF SURVIVAL on DVD. Many thanks for bringing the titles to my attention, and rest assured i will investigate a possible future release.

In the meantime, I hope you continue to enjoy our output.

Your sincerly

DANIEL HALL

Commissioning Editor"

Not the answer we were hoping for but not a definate no

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
I've been off-line for a couple of months but managed to get 'net access today so thought I'd pop in and give everyone a little update here.

I've written 6 letters now and have recieved no reply at all from the BBC. I'm glad some of you got replies but they're not really the answer we were after. Woodlore, on the other hand did write back to me, saying they have been trying for years to get these series released, but the Beeb is having none of it.

It looks like we could be fighting a losing battle with this one. :(

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I received a letter from 2 entertain yesterday it reads....

Dear Mr Belsten

Many thanks for your letter dated 19 April 2006

I'm afraid there are no current plansto Release Ray Mears' output on DVD. However, we rely on letters to guagepublic interest in titles, so rest assured we will properly consider these titles for potential future release

In the meantime I do hope you continue to enjoy our output

Yours sincearly

Daniel Hall
commissioning editor

so I guess there is still (slim maybe) hope...... hang in there guys!

Bootstrap Bob

Jun 21, 2006
Oxfordshire
Why hasn't anyone suggested copying the series onto DVD and posting out to people who would like a copy?

There was a similar thread on the 'Its Not Easy Being Green' forum and now I have the whole series on two DVDs.

Before everyone starts hoping up and down about piracy rules I am led to believe that if the programme is not commercially available then you are legally allowed to copy it. There is even a website that provides downloadable (legal) programmes from years gone by.
http://www.uknova.co.uk/
I haven't searched there yet but if anyone beats me too it it would be good to know.

So how does it work?
Well all it takes is for someone to put the series onto DVD and then offer to copy it for other interested people providing they provide the original person with enough DVDs and a prepaid SAE to return them. Those people could then also offer the service to other members and hey presto everybody is happy.
I don't personnally have the means to copy DVDs but there are many who do and I am sure they would be willing to help out.

Just a thought, anyone interested?

outdoorgirl

Sep 25, 2004
nr Minehead
The UKNova system stops accepting new users once they reach a 30,000 limit, and only releases accounts so that new members can apply if an account is unused for 42 days. You have to keep going back and trying to sign up periodically. You can't search any part of the site without a login, so there's no way of telling whether any of the old Ray Mears series' are available until someone can get a login.

Now, if anyone is able to record any of the old series that aren't available to buy, and if this practice is legal, I'm sure there are many of us (including me) who have the ability to copy DVD's and distribute them (ensuring that costs are covered and no profit is made).

Anyone got the old series', or able to record them from TV?

ODG

leon-1

Bootstrap Bob said:
Before everyone starts hoping up and down about piracy rules I am led to believe that if the programme is not commercially available then you are legally allowed to copy it.

Can you provide a written statement that proves this comment, I know that some things are time dependant, but that is normally a fair old time something like 25 years.

Just because you can download it does not mean that it is legal and BCUK cannot be party to any illegal activity or the instigation of illegal activities.

If someone who is more learned on copyright law can provide a passage from a text concerning copyright that proves that this is legal then fine, but otherwise the thread will have to be locked.

What I am relying on is that one of you guys can find something that says this is OK to do in some form of legal text which is current. If you find it I'll leave the thread open, if not the thread will be closed.

outdoorgirl

Sep 25, 2004
nr Minehead
(I am not a lawyer)

Found this on this (http://www.rgu.ac.uk/library/services/page.cfm?pge=24947) website just now:

Satellite / Cable programmes
There is no licensing scheme for Cable or Satellite programmes, so under the terms of the 1988 Act they can be legally recorded and retained indefinitely.

However, nothing is ever really that clear... :) Most of the google searches I've just done only relate to the recording of material for educational use..

Here's an article from the Beeb, suggesting that systems like BitTorrent are illegal: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/click_online/4905872.stm

It's clear that any 'current' programme is not 'Public Domain', and it's illegal to copy it. What's not clear yet is how long something remains 'current', and when the law allows it's copying. I've seen some initimations that it's 50 years from the initial broadcast, but again, it's not clear so I'm still looking.

edit: here's another good one, but again doesn't cover how you know whether something is still copyrighted: http://www.jisclegal.ac.uk/publications/copyrightcoppenheim.htm#_Toc77499911

ODG

Bootstrap Bob

Jun 21, 2006
Oxfordshire
All I can find on the Nova site is the following:

How do DVD and video releases affect the rules? (website rules)

All members should be well aware that UK Nova site rule #1 is: Nothing that can be bought on DVD or video is allowed on this site. Do not ask for such shows to be posted. If it's available to buy, then buy it.

If a programme has been tracked at UK Nova in the past and is subsequently released to buy then it will no longer be allowed, either as a reseed or new torrent. It is therefore important that reseeders check for new releases before uploading.

If a programme is scheduled for commercial release in the future then it cannot be uploaded at any time within 42 days prior to the release date.

Programmes which are not allowed will be removed from the tracker immediately and without warning; all uploaders who habitually fail to make sufficient checks may be given a formal warning and will have their upload rights revoked.

Still not sure on this one but it does sound like they are trying to cover themselves legally. It may be that they are following the link Outdoorgirl has just posted regarding satellite/cable programmes.

I've noticed that there are a number of threads still running on the INEBG website where people are offering the series to those who want it. I know that doesn't prove anything but I would have thought the moderators might have said something if they thought it was suspect.

Will keep looking.

J

Jamie

Bootstrap Bob said:
I know that doesn't prove anything but I would have thought the moderators might have said something if they thought it was suspect.

Will keep looking.

BB

Leon-1 is a moderator, and we have been discussing the legalities of the above hence his initial post.

Until we have established the leaglity of the above situation, I am asking you all to refrain from making further comments and encouragement to other members to download and distribute programmes as BcUK CANNOT be seen to encourage or condone any activity like this.

To reiterate Leon-1's comment, if you can prove that this is legal then please provide proof otherwise the thread will be locked.

Thanks

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE