No fire winter camping - Which sleeping bag?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Yo, what's the deal with winter camping and not having a fire to keep you warm , is there a range of affordable surplus sleeping bags capable of staving off the chills and keeping you cosy?

I'd like to close up my new lavvu to keep my dog in/chilly wind out. But I've only got some super cheap sleeping bag or wool blankets and last time I used only wool blankets was summer time and with a fire and it was still freezing to the point I struggled to sleep.

Checking out militarymart.co.uk earlier and saw these artic down filled rubber bottom sleeping bags for £40. https://www.militarymart.co.uk/58-pattern-sleeping-bag/ . Are they suitable and the best bang for buck??

Cheers

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
58 pattern bags in very good quality are very very rare and I wouldn't buy one off the net. They can be patchy and the down can be ruined if not cleaned properly. The down has a tendency to clump as they get older.

If you're happy with the bulk (and assuming you are if you're looking at the 58 pattern bag) I'd go for a surplus 95 issue synthetic army issue bag. Can be found super cheap.

https://prepareforadventure.co.uk/p...MIgrqfgufn5QIVDVPTCh0Y8gyQEAQYAyABEgKx6PD_BwE

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
All my winter camping, as a civilian and in the army, I did without a fire ( only fire was in the Trangia)
Tent, pine branches under closed cell foam mat,, winter grade sleeping bag. Winter clothes.
If below -20C, you do a sleeping space in the snow.
Get away from the wind.

You learn certain techniques that work. Not by reading, but by instruction on site from people that know.
It is, to be frank no big deal.
The worst is the lack of drinking water

Winter camping (fireless) in UK winters are easy, as long as you keep dry. choose the proper sleeping bag, proper clothes and you will love it!

Edit: Sleeping bag - the warmest you can find. Easy to open it and get a comfortable inside temperature, or sleep with very little clothes on, than having to freeze.

Head protection is important. At the warm British temps, a nice thin beanie should feel good.

Last edited:
Reactions: Robson Valley

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
Frankly, just buy the best sleeping bag you can afford - do your homework and look on Ebay - you might pick up a down bag for a lot less than you think if your lucky. And a decent mat - nothing fancy, o have a look at Alpkit. Military kit is often knackered and unless you can see what your buying, your running the risk of spending money on an item that isnt what you thought it was.

Reactions: Janne

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Mountain Wharehouse is still having a clearance sale of some respectable winter rated bags. However It's not just the sleeping bag but the whole sleep setup that needs looking at. Even with a camp-cot inside a tent you'll still need some insulation beneath you. If weight/bulk is not an issue then just grab some double/Queen size duvets.

FYI: Lowland England & Wales areas you are unlikely to experience worse than -5c, worst on record for Scotland is -27c

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
The bulk of the bag isn't a deal breaker as although I don't drive and carry everything myself I'm not the type to hike miles and miles away and would rather stealth camp where ever suitable. The stealth sale t is also a part of why there may be no fire in some areas. I've got a cheap foam yoga mat for a ground layer, it's cheap and thing and ice used it before but never been toasty when camping so maybe it's worth getting a new one?

Any affordable options that you guys can recommend?

58 pattern bags in very good quality are very very rare and I wouldn't buy one off the net. They can be patchy and the down can be ruined if not cleaned properly. The down has a tendency to clump as they get older.

If you're happy with the bulk (and assuming you are if you're looking at the 58 pattern bag) I'd go for a surplus 95 issue synthetic army issue bag. Can be found super cheap.

https://prepareforadventure.co.uk/p...MIgrqfgufn5QIVDVPTCh0Y8gyQEAQYAyABEgKx6PD_BwE

Ah! That would be a real shame to buy one and have it all lumpy and useless. Is there a chance the synthetic ones like the 95s can lose their thermal properties like down?

And are those Czech bedroll things any good? I assume they're massively bulky and not as good as a winter bag.. but they are damn cheap and I'm pretty skint. They look neat too but I'd rather be warm lol

Reactions: Van-Wild

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Somebody wrote you, you should buy the warmest bag you can get.

I did it. I bought the old US Army extreme cold weather sleeping bag with down and syntetic filling and cotton outer.

I used it in an unheated cottage in Berlin at minus 25 degrees Celsius.

It took 20 minutes after I entered and closed it until I got 30 degrees inside, and of course it became even warmer and warmer.

That bag was simpmy to hot. I could be cooked inside or sleep in the open at -25*C. I could decide.
Every thing else than a pleasure!

Currently I use the Snugpak Special Forces Sleeping bag System which combines two bags. That works very well. I can open for example just the half of the outer bag and I have a lot of different options to play around.

I recommend to have a look at it even if you don't want to invest so much money.

You can construct your own two bag system with most other sleeping bags as well. Just keep in mind that one has to fit in the other, if you are inside the inner one.

If you want to save money, you should look for a zivil second hand model, which is relatively new and only used in holydays.
That will be the best deal.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I checked and the 58 pattern G10 is rated ( when new) to -12C.
Should be ok, but personally I would go a bit more insulated.

Remember that an older ( used) bag does not have the same insulating properties as a new one.
It also depends on your body preference. Some people like hot, other like cold.

Other factors are to be considered too. Wind, clothes you wear inside bag, insulation to Earth if on ground, how tired you are, how fed you are.

But, as it is cheap, buy it and test!

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
Surplus bags? As with the British Army Arctic, also consider the Dutch M90 bag, similar but easier to use and a brilliant liner is available.
All caveats re mats not withstanding..
Re the Czech blanket bags: although I'm very keen on them (especially at the £13 I paid for mine) they are not winter bags. I use all three of the bags I've mentioned, the dutch bag having the edge? (I have just used it in frost with no special measures...)
Bear in mind that 2nd hand bags may have been washed, and if so, you won't know how: incorrect washing will eventually kill the loft/insulation.

For more money, consider the Snugpak range as mentioned and the Carinthia Defence 4?

Last edited:

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
The bulk of the bag isn't a deal breaker as although I don't drive and carry everything myself I'm not the type to hike miles and miles away and would rather stealth camp where ever suitable. The stealth sale t is also a part of why there may be no fire in some areas. I've got a cheap foam yoga mat for a ground layer, it's cheap and thing and ice used it before but never been toasty when camping so maybe it's worth getting a new one?

Any affordable options that you guys can recommend?

Ah! That would be a real shame to buy one and have it all lumpy and useless. Is there a chance the synthetic ones like the 95s can lose their thermal properties like down?

And are those Czech bedroll things any good? I assume they're massively bulky and not as good as a winter bag.. but they are damn cheap and I'm pretty skint. They look neat too but I'd rather be warm lol
I have a synthetic 95 bag. It's toasty warm. It doesn't lose its loft either. When I got it it smelled musty and wasn't in the best condition. I had it dry cleaned and then lobbed it in my tumble dryer on low for an hour. It came out golden and has never given me any grief. The spec is, being military grade, top notch. It really has my seal of approval.

Reactions: Laurence Milton

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE