Target practise

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
When neighbours are not happy when they hear the whistle-thock of shooting a stack of magazines or thick catalogue, a really good alternative can be had with putting layers of old carpet in a box. I have a 12 x 14 inch box, with a layer of 9mm OSB at the back, and a stack of cut carpet squares totaling three to four inches thick. I have some wood strips across the front that both keep the carpet in place and give me somewhere to tape targets to. After a while the top two or three layers of carpet get chewed up and need replacing, but that is the same with shooting old phone books too.

Reactions: johnbaz

johnbaz

Nomad
Mar 1, 2009
Sheffield, england.
www.flickr.com
When neighbours are not happy when they hear the whistle-thock of shooting a stack of magazines or thick catalogue, a really good alternative can be had with putting layers of old carpet in a box. I have a 12 x 14 inch box, with a layer of 9mm OSB at the back, and a stack of cut carpet squares totaling three to four inches thick. I have some wood strips across the front that both keep the carpet in place and give me somewhere to tape targets to. After a while the top two or three layers of carpet get chewed up and need replacing, but that is the same with shooting old phone books too.

I used to shoot in my garage years ago, I taped an A4 sheet on to the concrete panel but on the rifles approaching the legal limit, Bits of lead used to come back the twenty five feet and hit me on the forearm or on the face so I started saving the massive soap powder boxes that the wife used and stuffing them with old newspapers!, No more pain!!

John :)

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
For my outdoor practice, with a high powered .22 air rifle, I use old telephone books laid on top of each other, with two bricks on top. Stops the pellets well.
The books are the standard A4 size, and I lay them with the shorter edge towards me.

A bonus is that I can retrieve the lead well, and dispose off in a safe way.
I use various pellet shapes, including 'hunting' pellets.

Last edited:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
We haven't had a chunky telephone book here for many years. In 2013 the Yellow Pages was 12mm thick, and a little bigger than A5, year on year it got thinner, 2017 it was about 5mm thick! The last two phone books were about 8mm thick each, tall and narrow.

Probably a good thing, lets face it, with everyone using computers/internet, it wasn't a good use of paper anymore.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Progress I guess.
Yes, a good one.

The steel traps are good, but still for some reason the odd pellet still ricochets out.

I have three facial scars from shooting steel (I use 38Spec to .44 mag.)
Full lead to FMJ, they all whizz back sometimes.

Never any comes back with a berm or soft stuff behind the target.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE