sleeping in wool blankets

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
It's very true that these days we expect a level of comfort when in the woods and even at home, which was unthinkable 200 years ago. Being cold was just part of life.

E.H. Kreps is probably referring to pine when talking about the wood he burns. The amount would be significantly smaller if using wood like oak or hickory.

The point of the Kreps quote was not to calculate the amount of wood needed, but it was just the most concise description of sleeping out with a wool blanket that I have seen.

From all the sources I have been able to find, from the 1700s through the early 1900s, people didn't expect to stay warm while sleeping in the woods with just blankets. Except in emergencies, the blanket was used together with a fire. It was a different sleep system, and we can not do a direct comparison to a modern sleep system. We can not just replace a sleeping bag with a blanket or two and expect to stay warm in the same way.

I think we should also remember that the woodsmen we read about and their gear lists which we examine, were pushing the limits of what was possible. It is hard to apply the same gear lists to the comfort oriented camping we do. It is the same as looking at the gear Ulei Steck used to climb Annapurna and then thinking that a 0C bag with no pad is all that is needed for the rest of us under those conditions.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Good one too Ross, must admit to not being adverse to using some sort of hot water bottle when sleeping out, either a mini rubber one or a Nalgene (which will take the heat). Makes a huge difference on a cold night and during the day you have water to drink. (Also means in bad conditions you don't have to melt snow for breakfast so saving time on those "Alpine" starts.)
I'm sure like you say that our forbears wouldn't have been against stacking the odd for themselves. whether a fire or sleeping on an ember bed.

Keeping your sleep system clean also helps with loft - used to be appalled at the state of some sleeping bags coming in to be cleaned. You wouldn't let a dogs bed get in that state.

sausage100uk

Settler
May 4, 2013
United Kingdom
Im interested in trying the boone challenge style of camping when the wearmther warms up a bit so ive been buying up blankets from the charity shops. Ive started an attempt at a canvas and wool blanket swag bag, its a rough cotton sack about 7ft long with two queen sized witney blankets. I havent decided on any padding or waterproofing for the base yet but im probably going to wax it all over.

my9e4y2a.jpg
asadyrum.jpg

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

atlatlman

Settler
Dec 21, 2006
ipswich
This video from the North West Woodsman website shows one option...

[video=youtube;Gx38go8-Ig8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx38go8-Ig8[/video]

Not all blankets are equal, on the odd occasion I do sleep out with just a blanket I'm using a very thick Transylvanian rug type blanket which is very very cosy.

:)

I have toyed with the Idea of this set up. Not for long though. I wouldn't imaging it being much fun on a cold night going through all that again after getting up for a pee.

Apr 17, 2013
Ireland
I slept in a wool blanket in my hammock a few times. I always sleep in my clothes, and I personally found my comfort limit when it was 10C at night. Anything below that forcasted, i will either bring a 2nd blanket, or my sleeping bag.

Maybe next time I will try 2 blankets, but I don't want to carry twice the volume of the sleeping bag, but it was nice to be able to throw it over my shoulders when sitting around the fire.

Summer time it is perfect to just throw it over top of me, but I did feel the cold a bit on my feet.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The video reminded me of carrying out 'Last Offices' and wrapping dead patients.

Wrapping yourself like that could well restrict blood flow to your feet/lower legs, not a great idea in the cold I'd have thought.

Reactions: Old Bones

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Im interested in trying the boone challenge style of camping when the wearmther warms up a bit so ive been buying up blankets from the charity shops. Ive started an attempt at a canvas and wool blanket swag bag, its a rough cotton sack about 7ft long with two queen sized witney blankets. I havent decided on any padding or waterproofing for the base yet but im probably going to wax it all over.

my9e4y2a.jpg
asadyrum.jpg

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

I like the look of that cotton sack, where did it come from?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The video reminded me of carrying out 'Last Offices' and wrapping dead patients.

Wrapping yourself like that could well restrict blood flow to your feet/lower legs, not a great idea in the cold I'd have thought.

I hate being mummied up like that :sigh: Just fold over the sides to stop draughts and draw your feet up. That's why the gathered skirts of the arisaid work; just lie down and pull the feet up under them :)

M

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Thanks to all of you for sharing your information: I really enjoyed reading this thread and have gained some useful tips. Once the weather is warmer, I'll try to sleep out in the blankets I've acquired over the past year.

Reactions: santaman2000

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
…..or, a lot simpler than loose blankets is to try (if you can find one), the Czech army blanket sleeping bag. Wonderful summer bags.
So pleased at £13 each, I bought two!

- Just searched and these things are still easily available on line, but the price has increased somewhat...…….

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have two blanket systems that I will back against my sleeping bags...
The first is "The Beast" a military blanket faced with a second "blanket" that I made from old fur coats that I cut up and patchworked together... there may be Mink in there somewhere along with Sable etc...
PC210010.JPG PC210011.JPG P5170001.JPG
P2200011.JPG P2200013.JPG
In my hammock with a CCF mat below it is equal in warmth to a -10 rated sleeping bag used as a quilt.
The last two pictures are from the Winter Moot 2019.
For summer I have the "Baby Beast" Rabbit fur blanket backed with a cotton fabric
P9010023.JPG P9010024.JPG P9010026.JPG P9200002.JPG P9200003.JPG
Both are a lot bulkier and heavier than my equivalent sleeping bags - but very cozy!:)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
How paleo! Real fur means windproof leather. Fur side inwards like Inuit and First Nations "sleeping robes."
I've got two fur-like fuzzy velour blankets and a wool "wrapper" on the bed. A better anaesthetic than ether.

I'd rather not wax anything meant to go against the ground. A waterproof tarp is much more of a multi-purpose item
which needs next to no maintenance.
I have never seen anything but rug-like blankets as ground coverings in teepee (surface damp soils) or pit houses (very dry).

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
That Polish officers sheep hide coat is sold here old but unused!
Germans and Russians used during WW2 sheep hide coats without that outer green layer. They had been very large like the polish coat in the link fitting over the normal layering system including the woolen coat.

Such stuff is very nice to have in a camp.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE