Compact tool kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
I've been putting together a compact tool kit, primarily intended for group camping (and events involving shelters and cooking). I think I've got most of the things I wanted to cover, though would like a small saw capable of cutting small bolts/tent poles. I'm looking at doing something with a junior hacksaw or jigsaw blade.

Weight is currently 1,080g including the Maxpedition EDC pocket organiser it's in. Contents are:
*Wera multibit screwdriver (Kompakt 20 with some additional hex bits)
*Knipex 150mm pliers wrench (fantastic alternative to an adjustable spanner)
*Knipex 150mm Cobra Pliers
*DMT diafold (fine/extra fine)
*Electrical tape (it fitted in other tape may be better)
*Victorinox Climber pocket knife
*Butane jet lighter
*Tweezers
*Spirit level (not essential but as we set up tables to cook on getting them level is nice)
*Bits of paracord
*Pen, pencil and marker
*Bicycle puncture repair kit (this is where I keep the extra 1/4inch bits
*Rolson 9 in 1 micro bit screwdriver (the quality is terrible but I couldn't justify the cost of the wiha one I would like to have)
*Small piece of Kevlar (very handy for picking hot pan lids etc)
*Centre punch which gets used as a marlin spike.

This seems to cover most basic stuff that you might need when I'm cooking in a tent, though it now lives in my kitchen drawer and gets used for little jobs. Whilst the tools aren't always as nice as a dedicated tool the quality is good with the exception of the tiny screwdrivers.

Hopefully this might be useful to someone but if you have suggestions for things you'd change I'd be interested. I could have put a swisstool but my one doesn't have scissors and the metal saw isn't very good anyway.

Last edited:

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
It's interesting, though possibility too bulky. Just gripping a saw blade with the Pliers might be too far the other way, I wonder if JB weld would hold a saw blade to a hex bit (the bits lock into it instead of just a magnet)

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Yeah it is quite bulky.
Clamping a blade in locking pliers works surprisingly well though. The leatherman crunch has a slot in the jaws especially to do it
Either way I reckon recip saw blades are the way to go I've snapped jigsaw and hacksaw blades doing it but recip blades at way tougher and designed to be held at one end.
To make 1/4 hex adaptor I'd say you'd need to slot and pin it somehow

Think this is the right vid, if not it's another crunch vid on this guys channel

How do you find those knipex pliers wrench compared to a quality adjustable?
I'm tempted but they are spendy when I'm already knee deep in adjustable spanners

Reactions: Andy

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
Thanks, I'll have to have a play with my recip saw blades.

I haven't used the pliers wrench a huge amount yet but so far I'm a fan. I didn't have an adjustable spanner this sort of size and picked up the 150mm one for £27. The Cobras are good but the uncoated part of the jaws seems a bit rust prone, the chrome finish isn't available on this size though.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I cut the little tang off a recip blade and it slides perfectly in the back pocket of the maxped edc fatty pouch I use.
Check out the 150mm (maybe a bit less) blunt nose vice grips. The proper vice grip branded ones.
Such a handy little tool and punches well above it's weight. I have the same knipex cobras as you in my motorbike kit and I'd say the vice grips are more useful and bite harder

I was looking at the 200mm pair of pliers wrench which after a quick search saw for £50 So closed that window and thought no more about it lol
Just had another look and seen them at a more reasonable £35 bit more tempting but I don't actually NEED them it's just magpie syndrome

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
If you 'upgraded' the Victorinox you could have a metal saw on the knife. I think the cheapest Victorinox with a metal saw is the Ranger but I may be wrong. I have cut through bolts and nails with the saw on my Champ when I've had to.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Victorinox Ranger's have wild price fluctuations on Amazon. For a day in June were less than £20.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE