What gear would you take with you thread and why.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lltfdaniel

Oct 16, 2019
Bournemouth, UK.
Thank you, It has been a rough ride with that lot yes for me, doing my best so it does not get to me.

You are allowed to be a fool once, not again as you say also this, better to be safe than sorry or prevention is better than cure.

At the moment i do not want to be open with that lot, especially what the read from me and then use my openness against me.

But if you want to know, it would be car camping ideally to be honest with you... but unlike car camping i would be taking heavy stuff, when i say car camping well i like to be well like this home away from home, for me creature comforts is what i am after.

I don't want to go through all of that again with my experience here in this thread with that lot.

As while i was typing this post here, yes i have a garden but am put off by dog poo so essentially it is the dogs toilet and don't fancy putting up a tent for one.

Dan.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Well, even if you will be car camping, you will benefit from lighter equipment. It does not matter for the car, the weight, but in case you decide to do a bit of trekking, that way you will not need to buy completely new equipment.
The only part I personally would buy different from a" car system" to a "wear-it-yourself system" is the tent.

Large enough to sit comfortably on a stool in. That is (for me) the worst with trekking for extended times, the tent. I hate having to crawl in and out, and not be able to sit comfortably.

Reactions: Erbswurst

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Dan do not take the criticism to heart. We are not trying to upset you in any way. I for one had a picture of you struggling across the Scottish wilds carrying a huge pack overloaded with totally unsuitable gear. Had you given us this info earlier then words and advice may have been different.
We are most of us aware of mental health issues and some even have suffered with them so nobody is entirely unsympathetic. We like to help and support people but with little info to go on its difficult for us to know what's going on.
Most of what you may think of as negative wacking is realy just concern for your wellbeing and safety.
Bushcraft.. though it has many similarities to normal camping is realy quite a bit different in many ways. For instance many of us live in hammocks or under a tarp cook on open fires etc so our perception of what kit is needed for bushcraft will be different from that of a family or couple camping on a normal campsite.
So... maybe your tent lamp will be fine if you are not trekking 10 miles across moorland carrying it as will your tent.
I think you have made a wise decision to do some local camping. There are some small sites that don't have all the bells and whistles of all the big more commercial sites in the forest. Do some research and try them out a night here and there untill you get used to things. Then if you like it and wish to get into bushcraft properly then come back to us and maybe go to the moot or one of the bushcraft shows perhaps and that will give you a better idea of what bushcraft is as against normal camping.
I would suggest some wires got crossed about your intentions rather than a deliberate attempt to upset you.
So " that lot" wish you well and happy camping.

Reactions: Nice65

Lltfdaniel

Oct 16, 2019
Bournemouth, UK.
Well, even if you will be car camping, you will benefit from lighter equipment. It does not matter for the car, the weight, but in case you decide to do a bit of trekking, that way you will not need to buy completely new equipment.
The only part I personally would buy different from a" car system" to a "wear-it-yourself system" is the tent.

Large enough to sit comfortably on a stool in. That is (for me) the worst with trekking for extended times, the tent. I hate having to crawl in and out, and not be able to sit comfortably.

Then this would be ideal for you > https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/jerven-fjellduken-extreme/22621 do you know or have one, sorry but when you say wear it your self tent it put me remind of the jerven-fjellduken-extreme hah.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
We carried a similar 'thing' in my unit, do not know who made it. Spend time in it yes. Good as emergency shelter in the mountains, but would I use it as my main tent/sleeping arrangement?
No.
The Gods invented a tent for a reason.

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
Well i hope my posts can be understood.
as a matter of interest, where in the Scottish wilderness do you plan on going ?The terrain can make differences regarding what you will need to take with you. Without going back through all your posts, have you added one of these to your list ?
Tick-Removal-Tool-Set-2-pcs-for-_1.jpg

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Dan, if you plan to go for car camping in the beginning, you don't need so much special stuff for the first time.

You just can take a few blankets, a pot of round about 1 litre volume without plastic handles, a cutlery kit from your kitchen, a few candles, a torch, a saw that is made for wood, a metal mug or even a solid ceramic cup, a few bottles with mineral water from the super market, and so on.

Special outdoor clothing are very nice if you are out in the field with a rucksack, because they usually are drying faster than Jean's or other cotton clothing. But if you have some spare clothing it doesn't really matter, what you take with you.

Your civil clothing are OK for the beginning, just bring everything twice with you!
(And take old clothing, off course)

Special outdoor equipment is mainly relatively strong but relatively light constructed. But if you just go the first time by car to one of the legal places in the list, it would be far better, to go immediatly in your attic, Kitchen and basement and to look for some stuff there, than going through hundreds of pages in the internet.

The only special thing you need is a cheap double wall tent. That is secure enough, that you can just use civil stuff from your house inside of it.

Take a barbecue grill with you and 3 bricks, make a fire under the grill and between the bricks and just put the pot on top and it's fine.
Take some bread and cheese with you, perhaps you can't manage to get the fire started...

And like this you can collect the first own experiences in camping during this autumn.

During the winter we can help you to choose a nice hiking equipment for the next spring and summer time.

Perhaps you should open another thread here in the forum where you ask for a cheap but good car camping tent for britisch 3 seasons conditions.

Lltfdaniel

Oct 16, 2019
Bournemouth, UK.
as a matter of interest, where in the Scottish wilderness do you plan on going ?The terrain can make differences regarding what you will need to take with you. Without going back through all your posts, have you added one of these to your list ?
Tick-Removal-Tool-Set-2-pcs-for-_1.jpg

The reason why i said that is because my initial message gets undermined and was in response not directed at you.

Anyways just let me go, it always provoke me to say something when someone reply...i appreciate people leaving me to it as they have said.

That is some flea tick device, i don't need it, before that i was like what are you on about.

Dan.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Because we can't here the sound of a voice some threads get stressy, even if that wasn't the intention.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lltfdaniel

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I didn't really understand what you want to do exactly.

Did I get it right, that you want to start with camping out of a car and go later for hiking and carrying the equipment in a rucksack?

Lltfdaniel

Oct 16, 2019
Bournemouth, UK.
I didn't really understand what you want to do exactly.

Did I get it right, that you want to start with camping out of a car and go later for hiking and carrying the equipment in a rucksack?

No not right, hiking really...i know i said car camping, but i would take my home on my backpack so to speak.

edit

I would start off with hiking not to begin camping with the car but to begin with hiking.

So all in all hiking all the time from start to finish.

Last edited:

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
That is some flea tick device, i don't need it, before that i was like what are you on about.

You do need it, and for all the cost involved, for someone intending to travel the Scottish wilderness it would be wise to carry one. All I was intending was to pass on was some friendly advice based on my own experience.

https://www.hps.scot.nhs.uk/web-resources-container/ticks-and-lyme-disease-in-scotland/

Last year I picked up two in my back in an unreachable position, and had to ask a complete stranger to remove them with my tick hook, which is something I would consider invaluable in my kit.

Reactions: Lltfdaniel

Lltfdaniel

Oct 16, 2019
Bournemouth, UK.
You do need it, and for all the cost involved, for someone intending to travel the Scottish wilderness it would be wise to carry one. All I was intending was to pass on was some friendly advice based on my own experience.

https://www.hps.scot.nhs.uk/web-resources-container/ticks-and-lyme-disease-in-scotland/

Last year I picked up two in my back in an unreachable position, and had to ask a complete stranger to remove them with my tick hook, which is something I would consider invaluable in my kit.

That's cool with me.

Your kind with the information given to me and i thank you, unlike people taking the Micky or make fun out side of my knowledge you have been fully open to me.

You haven't pulled my leg or take the Micky or make fun of my knowledge, i applaud you fully, i realised this with the information given by you.

Very kind of you, you didn't abandon me.

People taking the micky out of me while i was fully unaware are simply cruel and ugly on the inside for what it well and truly is, but your the only one who i can trust on this website.

You haven't treated me like poo or have it in my face.

It brings a tear to my eye.

Dan.

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I have removed ticks with a pair of tweezers. The ones included in a Victorinox knife works just fine. No need to buy a specific tool.
I find a Victorinox a superb back-up knife.
I prefer one from the 'Large' range. Not much volume or weight difference, but much, much nicer to use, plus the blade locks, which I find essential.

Once you have a blade fold over your fingers you want a lockable blade!

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I have removed ticks with a pair of tweezers. The ones included in a Victorinox knife works just fine. No need to buy a specific tool.

I find those tick twister tools very useful, much better than tweezers that can make the tick regurgitate its stomach contents back into you if you're not careful. I remove a dozen or so ticks from our dog, myself and OH each year and they're much easier to use.

Reactions: Erbswurst and Kepis

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Ok Dan. I've not treated you like poo and neither would I have done so ,but it seems that I have been lumped in with your imaginary nasty people. I'm done on this thread. I've given you sensible advice... as have others that many newbies would be thankful for. No thanks or even acknowledgement. Just arguing your points as if you know it all and just wanted us to say what brilliant choices you'd made. Well it didn't happen because they were not brilliant choices and you don't seem to be able to take the generously offered advice and just imagine we are all getting at you.
Either your mental health problems are serious and you need help that non here can give you or you are taking the micky
You don't sound right. Not that that has stopped people genuinely trying to help you.. which shows how genuine they are. It's not nice to offer advice and then have you complain and call us nasty. I'm done here buddy. I don't need insulting and I'm not gonna waste my time! I'm speaking plain , we don't insult others deliberately like that here.

Jul 24, 2017
somerset
Dan why did you mention your mental health? seems oddly attention seeking? Its Just it seems odd to me as I very seldom speak of any problem that my life has to those around me let alone strangers, because talking in my mind resolves nothing I feel such things are my own and best dealt with by the only one effected. Any how why don't you go to Dartmoor its not unlike Scottish moorland but a hell of a lot closer!:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE