Coastal calamity [emoji23]

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
We all know that coast is a great place to be a hunter gatherer/forager. I free dive for crustaceans myself. I love to roam the shores at low tide for food but I have a dilemma....

I can eat lobster, crab and fish and I love to eat the various coastal greens. There's an abundance of mussels, razer clams, winkles, but I can't eat those because I'm allergic. Even a small amount can have me in the most dire condition within 24hrs, a fact I learnt the hard way and lost over a stone in weight in one week..... not a pleasant experience for me or my wife.

So other than lobby's, crab and fish (which is labour intensive and involves some planning....) What protein can i get from the shore that isn't in a shell....

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I think Fraser from coastal survival would be the person to ask. Personally I can't think of anything protein wise other than what you mention. Apart from shrimp or prawn but I'm not sure if that is on your no list. You may have to look for signs of rabbits a bit inland. In Cornwall I've seen them living on the cliff tops.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Maybe a vertebrate or two like the mentioned rabbits.
I'd be on the lookout for bird's eggs.
Never to take them all, just one per nest when my judgement says so.

Van-Wild: do you still get sick if the shellfish are thoroughly cooked?
Maybe you guys are seeing some Paralytic Shellfish Poisoning over there?
The PSP situation here on the west coast is really bad = there sems no end to it now.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Maybe a vertebrate or two like the mentioned rabbits.
I'd be on the lookout for bird's eggs.
Never to take them all, just one per nest when my judgement says so.

Van-Wild: do you still get sick if the shellfish are thoroughly cooked?
Maybe you guys are seeing some Paralytic Shellfish Poisoning over there?
The PSP situation here on the west coast is really bad = there sems no end to it now.
100% I'm allergic. The shell fish I had years ago was guaranteed cooked through. Tests have identified the allergy.

Reactions: Robson Valley

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
For clarity, in case someone were to think otherwise this is best kept to a hypothetical 'survival' scenario - otherwise taking eggs will find oneself the wrong side of the law!
Indeed indeed..... I would never take eggs from a nest. I won't ever have the need. Powdered whole egg is massively under rated IMO

Looks like I'll be stuck with chomping the flora of the coast line and grabbing crabs and lobby's when the opportunity arises.

Reactions: Robson Valley

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
No help at all with protein sources on the shore, but if Emoji23 involves nausea and camping out in the bathroom overnight then I fully sympathise.

I’ve always taken winkles and mussels off Bognor Rocks and beaches in Devon and Cornwall. But just a few years ago got very ill after a restaurant bowl of mussels. I assumed it was a bad one, but it happened again the next time I ate them. I got home after a lovely evening and poured a glass of Islay single malt. An hour later I was again in the bathroom and realised I’d probably developed an allergy. Now, mussels I can live without, but I’ve not been able to touch whiskey since, not even a good one. :(

I recommend biltong. Lightweight, adds to cooking, good source of protein. And less hassle than those polluted little slimy things. :sick::poop::sick:

Reactions: Van-Wild

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
No help at all with protein sources on the shore, but if Emoji23 involves nausea and camping out in the bathroom overnight then I fully sympathise.

I’ve always taken winkles and mussels off Bognor Rocks and beaches in Devon and Cornwall. But just a few years ago got very ill after a restaurant bowl of mussels. I assumed it was a bad one, but it happened again the next time I ate them. I got home after a lovely evening and poured a glass of Islay single malt. An hour later I was again in the bathroom and realised I’d probably developed an allergy. Now, mussels I can live without, but I’ve not been able to touch whiskey since, not even a good one. :(

I recommend biltong. Lightweight, adds to cooking, good source of protein. And less hassle than those polluted little slimy things. :sick::poop::sick:
Yeah I make my own biltong. It's leagues above that American abomination jerky......

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
There was a guy I think posted on here who set up his dried foods business. They died various biltong, jerky and fruit strips. Lot of dried venison, boar, etc with various marinades prior to drying. Either this site or a hiking site. Wish I could remember the company. Anyone know?

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
There was a guy I think posted on here who set up his dried foods business. They died various biltong, jerky and fruit strips. Lot of dried venison, boar, etc with various marinades prior to drying. Either this site or a hiking site. Wish I could remember the company. Anyone know?
Is that the guy who has a stand at the wilderness gathering? He does amazing stuff. Particularly like his smoked peanut butter! Yummy!
I'll see if I can find his contact details. I'm sure I have one of his business cards somewhere in the jungle of my stuff :)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Jerky, made properly, is a great convenience for 7-10 day trips.
Actually quite easily made. Starting with lean mince takes all the work out of it.
The more I make, the less cure and seasoning I use.
The store-bought jerky is really poor quality but they sell tons of it.

I suppose that if the maker can't slice meats thinly, biltong is a result.

If and when foraging became a necessity for survival, I can imagine including bird eggs on the menu
but the opportunity is such a short window of time. Obviously, there's some legal obstacles
as foraging in this day and time should never become essential.

Low tide on the west coast of British Columbia and there's food everywhere.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Is that the guy who has a stand at the wilderness gathering? He does amazing stuff. Particularly like his smoked peanut butter! Yummy!
I'll see if I can find his contact details. I'm sure I have one of his business cards somewhere in the jungle of my stuff :)
Think that's the guy. Would be good to find out the company again. Supermarket jerky isn't any good and it's getting more expensive too. Probably better getting from a small maker directly.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Got it!
Cowleys fine foods.
Martin is the guys name.

www.cowleysfinefood.com

If you are looking for something different he's the guy to seek. According to his blurb you can have...
Jerky beef horse rabbit kangaroo zebra goat tofu mushroom biltong dried sausages fruit leathers smoked pickles and sauces.
He does some weird stuff but whatever I've had has been good.. including the bacon jam!

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE