An 'I don't believe it' moment....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
"Hello, I'm calling to update the telephone contact numbers on my profile information"
" Yes sir, can you just answer these security questions please?"

What is the name of your first pet?........What is..............." Thank you sir"

" My mobile 'phone number is no longer applicable as there is no mobile signal obtainable in this area, I am only contactable by landline"
" I see, are you registered for the on line service sir?"
"Yes, I tried to update that way but it will not accept the landline number that I enter"

" I will up date it for you, but if you log on to the online service, you will be given a security verification code number to repeat when I 'phone you on the number you have entered on line"

" That number is not correct, as I've explained, it will not accept all the digits...that's why I am calling you "
"Then I'll call you on your mobile number, so that you can confirm the verification code to alter your landline number, sir"
" Yeah......ok, go on then"

Hang on!! They're looking after my savings....:eek:......:laugh:

Reactions: Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's absolutely crazy the way that every blasted thing now hangs on the mobile phone.
Banks, Doctors, Hospitals, Council stuff, Car and Home Insurances.....it's as though folks are expected to have their whole lives tied in to their phone. They'll be lo-jacking sockets into babies next !

My own one is with Three....which has had problems this week. I haven't had any bother, but imagine if maybe two or three networks all went down at once :rolleyes:

Never mind extinction rebellion, the world would grind to a halt anyway.

M

Reactions: santaman2000

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
A couple of years ago, when installing a new wifi, the bloody thing inevitably didn't work and it wouldn't connect.
I checked the Troubleshooting part of the installation guide.
There was no contact phone number just the instruction:
'If you are having trouble installing your new wifi then go to our website...'

I'm not making that up.

After a bit of work I got a contact number (the wifi provider is the same as the TV provider - so I called them) and the first question I asked the stupid sap who answered was, 'how am I supposed to go to your website if I'm having trouble with the wifi?'

I try to maintain a healthy feeling of goodwill toward my fellow human beings, but sometimes...

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
I suppose it's in my nature not to let these sort of incidents upset or annoy me. I tend to look at modern life a bit like the old comedians, Jasper Carrot, Dave Allan etc: I see the funny side of almost every attempt at 'techno efficiency' (I just invented that term...:laugh: )
I bought a National Express coach ticket the other day and gave my address.
" We don't need your address sir, we'll send an E Ticket to your 'phone"
" You can't mate, it's a Dorro 'phone for wrinklies. No internet, just phone calls and sms, anyway there's no signal where I live"
" That's fine, then just print the E Ticket off your computer"
" Well I would, but I haven't got a printer attached to my little laptop"

" Oh! Hold on sir" Goes off to seek advice, probably from the Great Emperor Mong...:D

" You can collect it from our Cardiff office, sir"
" Oh! Good, that's 2 hours drive away"............:laugh: :laugh:

I was just testing him that's all...Went to the local Library and printed the ticket off eventually.

You will conform...you will conform...you will...

Last edited:

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I usually give phony answers in the 'security question' part when I start a service of some kind.
As I think most of those questions are personal.
I have a list of those questions and answers.

For me in my private life, mobile phones are totally not needed, I never carry one. Only texting The Overlord from work.
But Internet is a blessing.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I don't have a mobile phone. My kids are well up in the IT world.
They claim I'd find very little use for it. I have 2 low-ranked digital cameras.

I always ask for "the password" when I get BS land-line calls.
There never is one but I like to yank their chain anyway.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Recently dealing face to face with a "youngster" in an official capacity I was asked for my email and mobile number. I said I don't have an email or a mobile phone, only a landline. She then asked me how I'd like to be contacted on my landline.........???????

Reactions: GuestD

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Everything is a bit more sophisticated that in '1984' so we do not feel it being intrusive. Or dangerous.

Slowly, gently we are creating tech and a society which is far, far away from what our ancestors fought for.
Once upon a time, phones, post and telegrams could only be opened and read by a court order.... not to do so was a criminal act.

Today? HA!

If you carry a mobile phone, you have divulged excactly where you are, at what speed you are moving, what you text, message, what you say on the phone, and the best of all, all sounds in a huge area around you, despite the phone being 'off'.

The last bit, the extreme sound and noise snooping, was divulged by the police in a famous current police case in Norway.
The 'listened' for suspicious noises ( violence) that might have happened in a whole, huge house.
Not only snooping at the present, but somehow the phone records it, so it can be listened to for days after.

I always leave it blank, the space where you are supposed to put your mobile number. I get asked every time, and get really, really funny looks when I tell them that I do not use one.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I don't have a lot of modern devices. No computer or laptop no car no microwave no tv no Alexa or dab radio. I'd be happy to live how I did in the 70s with no modern devices. We didn't even have a landline or fridge let alone a freezer then.
I must admit to three modern devices... maybe four that I'd not like to be permenantly without. My washing machine, electric kettle, Henry hoover, and my fridge freezer and clock radio.. oh bother that's five! I do find my electric dryer useful and my cooker ( tho I'd be happy with a gas one) and my slow cooker which is used in the wintertime for stews etc. I've heard you can bake in them too but I've not tried it. I guess they are realy an electric Dutch oven.
I'm a technophobe so anything more than an on or off switch and I don't want to know.
It's amazing how we get suckered into technology without even realising it. All sold on the promise of a better life kudos and more time to enjoy as free time.
What do we do with that free time? Sit in front of the zombie box as we are so tired from working so hard so that we can have all these wonderfull things that save time so we can work harder to obtain them. A paradox!

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
A couple of years ago, when installing a new wifi, the bloody thing inevitably didn't work and it wouldn't connect.
I checked the Troubleshooting part of the installation guide.
There was no contact phone number just the instruction:
'If you are having trouble installing your new wifi then go to our website...'

I'm not making that up.

After a bit of work I got a contact number (the wifi provider is the same as the TV provider - so I called them) and the first question I asked the stupid sap who answered was, 'how am I supposed to go to your website if I'm having trouble with the wifi?'

I try to maintain a healthy feeling of goodwill toward my fellow human beings, but sometimes...

Exact same with BT, your problem and Saxonaxe..”I’m going to send you a link via ema il”, etc...Doh! Some of you lot need to join ROF, we have a Grumpy so-and-so’s forum for this sort of thing :)

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2017
somerset
Guy today calling at my house saying faster broad band was on offer in the village, I told him that at home I do not have it as I have a life, not that those with that connection don't have a life, its just he woke me after a long shift so not the best mood to be had from me! I told him I liked to climb, hike make knifes go shooting etc so was not in need of such distractions, there was an odd silence and some sense of disbelieve from him.....

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have a mobile phone. If it's on, I'm out, and it's so I can phone home to tell Himself I'm going to be late :rolleyes: or I'm sitting waiting on Son2's train coming in at the station and one or t'other will phone if he's on the other train and at the other station and I need to shift myself.
Pretty much that's it.

I jest you not, I saw a Mum put her hand into her pocket and pull out a second mobile phone, and give it to the toddler in the buggy to play with while she blethered to someone on the first one in her other hand. I saw her in the supermarket half an hour later and she didn't even stop her phone call to deal with the cashier....well, I tell a lie, she said, "Hang on a minute", hit a couple of buttons, beeped the phone over the reader to pay the bill, and picked up her conversation again. I don't think she ever stopped her phone all day long.

I thought to myself at the time, "Talk to your child, never mind the phone", and I was remembering those poor benighted children who only spoke like cartoon characters, because they spent all day stuck in front of the telly with cartoons on and no one really interacting and conversing with them otherwise.
Hellish way to rear a child.

They're all going to look like Quasimodo with the rictus of holding the phone up to their ear from infancy onwards.

M

Reactions: Diamond Dave

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
If they don't all end up with brain damage and fried brains from using a phone from such an early use of a phone.
They will soon be born with a phone implanted in their right hands.!

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
B059-D134-892-E-48-AA-BE56-F556-D2-C548-CF.jpg

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Oooo you bunch of old Technophobes! :tongue:

Technology is a great tool but like every other it requires knowledge and discipline. I do wonder how some on here are posting without a mobile, laptop, pc,, ;)

Also you poor folk having to deal with call centers every now and then. I deal with them on a regular basis and yes they suck but maybe also spare a thought for those poor drones on the other end of the phone. Targets, scripts, 0 training, maniacal tinpot dictator middle-management. Maybe also remember that the market and us in turn as consumers have demanded lower and lower prices for faster and better service year on year, the loser always ends up the customer and the employee.

25 years in IT, rant over. I shall don my tweed jacket in preparation for the vacuum valve throwing.

Reactions: santaman2000

Janne

Feb 10, 2016

It is true. Rare Earth metals mined in a destructive way, using ultra cheap labour in the Far East, built in the same place with similar labour. Lasts only a couple of years, then ends up somewhere where the environment is their least concern...

But then I also feel (a little bit) bad about driving vehicles with engines with many equine units, guzzling liquid hydrocarbons. Not much bad feel though, not much.
At least the vehicles were built by a wellpaid, proud workforce.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE