What's this fish?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
This photo came up on another forum I frequent, with a call for help in identifying this fish, found washed up on a beach in South Wales..

IMG-20191016-WA0000.jpg

That's a size 5 boot next to the very dead fish.

Any ideas what species it might be?

Last edited:

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
From that, I guess that you don't see it... There is one there, but I've seen this happen in threads from time to time... sometimes I don't see an image, sometimes I see it but others don't.

Sorry, not I can't see a pic. I just see [ IMG ]

I don't tend to have problems seeing pics here, even when others say they can't.

I'll resist the urge to say something fishy is going on....

Edit to add, I can see what you're linking to when I quote your post. The image to horse & hounds can only be seen if you're logged in there. That's why no one else can see it.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Not only can I not see a pic, but I “Liked” Nitramburs post and instead of “Unlike” replacing it, I see “Likee”. :D

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Sorry, not I can't see a pic. I just see [ IMG ]

I don't tend to have problems seeing pics here, even when others say they can't.

I'll resist the urge to say something fishy is going on....

Edit to add, I can see what you're linking to when I quote your post. The image to horse & hounds can only be seen if you're logged in there. That's why no one else can see it.

Ah, that explains it! Well done.

I've saved the image to my ImgBB space and updated the link.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Picture shows a large rainbow trout. Looks like a farmed fish. Small, rather stunted tail fin. That it wound up on a beach, is a mystery! Its a big fish, probably more than 10lbs when live. While rainbow trout can grow in the sea, same as brown trout (sea-trout), they don't do it naturally in this part of the world. Maybe heavy rain washed it down stream from an inland fish farm and out into the sea?

I normally sign in to the forum with Google Chrome and with that browser I cannot see the picture. If I paste the link into IE or Edge, picture shows fine, even without being signed into the forum.

Last edited:

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Sea trout look more like a Salmon ( Salmo Salar). Silvery. Difference mainly in head morphology.
Rainbow trout is more coloured. Hence the name.

That 34 lb trout, was it a farmed one? Or placed in a lake?

It is a Pacific Ocean side fish. Rivers and lakes on the other side of Earth.

A 34 lb fish sound to be morbidly obese.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
No reason why it cant be a sea trout?

(no expert on fish)

Its rather large for a rainbow.

You mean apart from it not being a sea trout? No reason that an Ash can't be an Oak....to someone for whom all trees are just green scenery.
The huge great pink stripe down the side is kinda a give away, in neon, with bells. :D

Male rainbow trout, not sure of weight, lets call it 8lb (if I was more of a fisherman I might say 10lb ;) :lmao:)
DSC03433 by Last Scratch, on Flickr

Female rainbow trout
IMG_0417 by Last Scratch, on Flickr

Brown Trout
IMG_0901 by Last Scratch, on Flickr

DSC03414 - Copy by Last Scratch, on Flickr

Sea trout are brown trout, and even though much more silvery, they do still have the spots, and do not have the big pink stripe!

As for size, world record rainbow is 48lb. That is a trout born in a farm, but that escaped into a natural lake where it grew on natural food, but since it could not reproduce, all energy went into growing large. I won't say all farmed rainbow in the UK are similarly manipulated, but it is very common.

The same isn't true for trout in the Twizel area canals in New Zealand. They are not genetically sterile, and grown on their own in the canals, not stocked at great size, but in addition to natural forage, they can pick up food that is washed out of the salmon farms there. They get huge too.
https://fishingmag.co.nz/south-isla...twizel-canals-fishing-tips-ohau-pukaki-tekapo

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The New Zealand rainbows owe their genetic heritage to the Lardeau River rainbow trout from the East Kootenay district of southern British Columbia.
For the most part, the Salmonidae are open growth species in that they don't stop at some contrived upper limit for size.
It is a fact that if you select the biggest eggs in hatchery spawning, you can grow bigger fish.
This character appears to persist upon tagging and release.

We have anandromous rainbow running to 40+ lbs that we call "steelhead" for their predominate color.
I've never caught any over 22 lbs out of the Morice River system. Bigger further south, I think.
Also sea-run Cutthroat trout. Kokanee are landlocked sockeye salmon, another west coast gem.

Reactions: Spirit fish

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
You also have the genetic modified Salmon. Aqua Advantage Salmon I think it is called?
Please do not export it....

I prefer the wild salmon you export to us. Very nice!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE