Cherry Brandy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I remember sending an early batch of our Blackberry Brandy to John Fenna & I've always enjoyed a lot of "fruit tinctures" beyond just sloe gin! This year the cherries were spectacular so we made Cherry Brandy (our method is a bit different from the "bung everything in a jar at the beginning" approach).

What's you favourite home made tipple?

Reactions: Janne and CLEM

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I love making various tipples. So far this year I've made birch bud vodka, beech leaf noyaux, lemonchello, blackberry vodka, raspberry vodka, cherry brandy, damson gin, and right now I'm making hazelnut liqueur or franginelo. I will also be making sloe gin. I don't drink much at all so these will be Christmas presents for my friends. It's a lot of fun and much easier than making wine or beer.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Nice video, I watched it the day you posted it. Unfortunately we don't have any cherries growing here to have a go myself. I've got an experimental small bottle of blackcurrant gin under way - steeping berries and leaves in a medium priced gin base, and may add a little sugar syrup if necessary at the end. Its gone a nice colour in the bottle (a very pink gin :) ) and we shall see what it tastes like at Christmas.....

Cheers, Bob

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I love making various tipples. So far this year I've made birch bud vodka, beech leaf noyaux, lemonchello, blackberry vodka, raspberry vodka, cherry brandy, damson gin, and right now I'm making hazelnut liqueur or franginelo. I will also be making sloe gin. I don't drink much at all so these will be Christmas presents for my friends. It's a lot of fun and much easier than making wine or beer.
WOW that's a really unusual selection! Do you have a recipe for the hazelnut liqueur? I've just harvested ours!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Nice video, I watched it the day you posted it. Unfortunately we don't have any cherries growing here to have a go myself. I've got an experimental small bottle of blackcurrant gin under way - steeping berries and leaves in a medium priced gin base, and may add a little sugar syrup if necessary at the end. Its gone a nice colour in the bottle (a very pink gin :) ) and we shall see what it tastes like at Christmas.....

Cheers, Bob
I fid a Creme de Cassis with blackcurrants a few years ago. It was outstanding mixed with Cava fir a "Kir Royale" ;)

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Here is the recipe for franginelo
1/2 lb raw hazelnuts chopped. (2 cups)

1cup of vodka

1/2 cup of brandy

1/4 cup of water

1/4 cup sugar

1 vanilla pod

Chop nuts and add to vodka and brandy. Steep for 2 weeks.

Dissolve the sugar in the water untill dissolved. Cool and add to the mix. Steep for 3 days.

Add chopped vanilla pod and seeds. Steep for 3-5 days.

Strain through a fine seive then a coffee filters or double cheesecloth.

Bottle and store in fridge for up to 3 months.

I've never made this before so I'm not sure about the fridge bit. It should be fine stored as other tipples made by steeping in alcohol.

Good luck if you think you fancy making this. There are several recipes on line some using honey and other ingredients but I thought I'd keep it simple for a first go.
I'm making a double quantity and find a large kilner jars is ideal with plenty of room.
I give it a stir every day with a wooden spoon. It's tasting quite nice already and it's had less than a week so far.

Reactions: British Red

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I can't help but think that these things would be best poured over vanilla ice cream.
Like flood the place and really enjoy it.

There's a rye whiskey company here that makes seasonal treats =
pumpkin spice rye for Thanksgiving and a chocolate rye at Christmas time.
Both are really good.
Any inkling how one might DIY either of these?

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Pumpkin rye would be easy. Deseed and roast your pumpkin say a sugar pumpkin.
Empty a bottle of Rye into a 1.5l Mason jar. Add a tablespoon of pumpkin pie spice and the pumpkin to the jar. Steep for a couple of weeks. Shake or stir daily and taste each time. When you get the desired taste. Filter through double muslin/ jelly bag/ coffee filters. Bottle and enjoy. Give it a go! Good luck tell us how it goes. It should be fine but if you ruin a bottle of Rye don't blame me :) (you won't tho)

Last edited:
Reactions: Robson Valley

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
It is the Pumpkin Spice that gives the whiskey such a different taste.
I'm about to test some over vanilla ice cream.

We have many different varieties of pumpkins here so picking one might be a puzzle.
They are best baked in slabs with cinnamon, nutmeg, butter and brown sugar.

Reactions: British Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It is the Pumpkin Spice that gives the whiskey such a different taste.
I'm about to test some over vanilla ice cream.

We have many different varieties of pumpkins here so picking one might be a puzzle.
They are best baked in slabs with cinnamon, nutmeg, butter and brown sugar.

Oddly I have just been filming how to make pumpkin spice & then use it in pumpkin soup!

Reactions: santaman2000

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I often pour a glug of the cherry brandy into a mug of hot chocolate. .. amazingly delicious! Especially in the winter.

When my daughter was little, I took the time to learn how to make proper, kick bottom hot chocolate. Nothing instant involved. I am a grandpa now & my daughter has asked me to make it for my granddaughter on Christmas Eve.

I think there's something in my eye.....

Reactions: santaman2000

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE