Journey to Vanlife stage 2 about to start

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Alas, the legislation is/has changed. Home converters are going mental on a range of forums.

It appears the reasoning behind the change is two fold. Firstly, from a policing point of view, if for example your converted van were to be described to a police officer by a member of the public, how would they describe it? Unless it is so obviously clear that it is a motorhome, then it is likely that it will be described as a van/van with side windows in the first instance. (Just because I call my van a camper, doesn't mean it is one. Every time I've booked it into VW for a service I've been asked what model it is and I have to reply 'transporter van'. On the insurance my van is described as a commercial converted van (with all conversion items listed). Secondly, it's all about tax. The sole reason to change your V5 is to lower the cost of annual road tax and insurance isn't it?. DVLA now only recognise factory coach fitted habitation boxes as motorhomes. (The white whales you see getting stuck in between bollards and buildings all over the lake district in summer). Reason for that is they are designed and built specifically for that purpose and not converted.

Do i agree with it? Hell no. My converted van meets all national and EU safety certification and the gas and electric is especially so, being VW approved parts and installation.

Give DVLA a call. They will not amend your V5 to motorhome anymore.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
Do i agree with it? Hell no. My converted van meets all national and EU safety certification and the gas and electric is especially so, being VW approved parts and installation.

is there nothing left that bureaucracy wont spoil ? :(

Reactions: Van-Wild

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I promised to PM buckshot with details of my son's van conversion, but I have decided to include it in my post it in this thread as other people may be interested.

Between us, my two sons and I have owned nine campervans. We do not agree on sizes of vans. My wife and I have had three VW transporter vans and like the flexibility of use as a camper and everyday transport. able to park anywhere a car can and have long since learned how to adapt to living in a small space. Years spent lightweight camping and living out of a rucksack for extended periods taught us that less is more. Back in the 1960s, before we had the boys, we spent four months living in a mini-van all over Europe.The boys prefer the space of larger vans but run smaller cars in addition to their vans. (SWMBO took note of this and bought herself her own car, so we now have our car and her car!)

Elder son had his Renault Master converted by CC Campers of Kidderminster (not Oxford Buckshot, sorry) at a cost of £6,000 about two years ago. Takes son, daughter in law, grandson and granddaughter in comfort. They are very pleased with it and appreciated to personal service. I was impressed by the quality and ingenuity of the job.

I currently drive a VW transporter conversion by FunkyDubz.com. This is an offshoot of Southbourne Cliff Motors, Bournemouth. I paid just over £20,000 for it This firm buys low mileage used vans and then converts them before selling them They do not convert a van you already own. I've had mine for about 5 years now and am pleased with it.

Some years back I had a second-hand transporter which I had bought converted by Holdsworth Ltd of Reading. This was an excellent job and the conversion long outlasted the mechanical parts of the van!

Younger son, who converts his vans uses them also for work and so is technically living in a van and not a camper. SWMBO pointed out that I should mention the distinction between vans and campers for tax and insurance purposes but Van-Wild and Deakin deal very well with this in earlier posts. The points they make are important. Few firms offer campervan insurance and the lack of competition means shopping around for a good deal is difficult. We joined the Camping Club and take advantage of their ClubCare insurance. I have also in the past found the Adrian Flux insurance is a helpful company

No connection with any of the firms mentioned, just a satisfied customer.

On balance, I think I'd always go for a ready converted van rather then convert it myself: it solves many problems and I doubt that it is any cheaper to convert your own.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
We've got no choice. We've got a limited budget so are getting it converted in stages. First buy the van, second cut windows, line out with insulation, flooring, heater, hopefully bed and beginnings of the electrical system. Third stage is pop top roof. Final stage kitchen units and kit if we want to. If not we'll just get awning and cook on stoves. It'll cost as much as a converted van bought from the converters but it's a bill in more manageable chunks and we've got the van to use from now.

We're more tent campers in summer anyway so that won't change. We'll just extend camping season using the van. Plus it's swb, l1 for daily use.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
I converted my van in stages similar to Paul_B, as funds were saved. The way I looked at it, although it took time (nearly two years IIRC) every time I added something I just made it better. The icing on the cake was the pop top.

First ever trip we did was an 'all in or nothing' trip round Europe. Totally fresh from the factory, stock 5 seater combi. Only mod was an awning rail on the nearside, for a drive away awning. 4.5 week tour..... it was amazing. We haven't looked back!

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
When did you get the roof?

We obviously wanted all the holes cut before three insulation and lining but simply can't afford the roof. So we accepted some extra cost overall by having a sacrificial roof lining.

We figure lining it out, windows, heater, some electrics and double crash tested seats were higher priority. There would only be a roof and windows otherwise. Not as useable. The eventually cut out roof won't cost that much in the end. Plus all side panels will be removable should upgrading or other work needs access.

The converter is very good at working these things out for us.

Although seats are higher priority we probably can't afford them with this stage 2. We are looking at many years of use so don't want to be annoyed with poorly designed components as important as seats. For example the RIB seats have a better folding system. The base of the seat flips over to put the flat underneath face up the back of the seat then folds over to have the flat back of it face up. The same happens out back I believe. Basically the cheaper seats have you sleeping on the sitting surfaces. Either they're flat and not best for travelling or they're curved and not good for sleeping.

The seats could be £1100 for cheap seats but rib are £2000.

The same with the roof. I've looked at poptop roofs UK and they look poorly finished on their website. The frame metalwork looks unfinished on some of their website photographs.

The SCA roofs are so much better. Not least because the spoiler at the front is actually part of the frame set into the cut hole of the roof. Others just use a rubber profile stuck on with adhesive. I've spoken to people with this style strip on VWs and they moaned about having to stick them back on.

Basically cheap is a false economy for something you're looking at using for 10 years or more.

Reactions: Coldfeet

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
I have a skyline roof fitted professionally. It does indeed have the rubber strip along the front of the van. It has never come unstuck. The roof fits perfectly.

Paul_B, it's your van matey. Choose as you see fit. It's true to say, that buying cheap may be buying twice. But cost and value is subjective, what you call expensive another may call cheap and vice versa.

My roof was the last thing done on my van. It was done with the units fitted. It was done to a very high standard and it is perfect.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Looked at skyline website. Prices are similar to the sca roof I think we'll get. Similar quality I'd guess but impossible to see from their photographs.

The poptop roofs UK company website shows the metal frame of the roof. It looks poor quality but is a bit cheaper.

Having a vivaro not a VW or even a Ford custom means there's less choice than those van models it seems.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Long running saga. Got a van but only the expensive roof makers do the new version in SWB so caused a delay. Big cost increase going to sca or reimo roofs from austops. However a Keighley based roof maker will have a new shape vivaro swb roof designed about end of Feb. Booking it in for then.

Anyone heard of drivelodge roofs? They look as good as any other tbh.

We weren't going for the roof at first and the bed was a stretch but we found the extra money. It will only really miss the kitchen and storage section of the camper when done.

A little tip to anyone with ideas on converting a van. It's cheaper buying one made up secondhand. If you shop around and are willing to wait. My partner found very quickly a 3 year old vw t5 with full conversion 25k on the clock and warranty on the vehicle and guarantee on conversion for £20k!!!! A bit too small for us though but raised the question "why did we buy our van?"!!!

Bazzworx

Mar 5, 2009
North Wilts
The trouble with buying used is that you never know whats been done with the van. I've had quite a few campers some fitted out and some not. The vans that have already been fitted out I have always had to strip and rebuild due to poor workmanship, dangerous wiring or the wrong materials used. I'm not saying all used vans will be like that but there are so many people who will have a go at conversions without the necessary skills or equipment. I think with the whole 'van life' trend going on at the moment it's seen a lot of pop up companies offering conversions that aren't up to standard.

Reactions: GuestD

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Usually the conversion company used gets put in van ads or you can always ask when you take a look. Walk away if you don't like the company or if a diy job.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Update!

Van was due to go in today for lining out, floor, electrics, bed and heater. Virus put paid to that!

Roof had an 8 week lead time due to it still being developed for our van model and size. We'd have been one of the first, if not be the first production roof. They'll be delayed too I reckon. We would have had the van minus roof and kitchen ready mid April if all had gone to plan.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
COVID 19 stopped our conversion after we had just paid for the roof and half of the rest of the total bill. The converters shut up shop due to vulnerable or shielding employees. Just got an email from them today telling us the roof is 2 out of the original 8 weeks least time left until ready and they're back with a skeleton team. The result is our van will be going in towards the end of the month for all the work in stage one of the conversion.

This means I'll have an elevating roof, split power system with leisure battery, hook up, diesel heater, bed, windows with blinds, flooring and fully lined out partly converted van.

I just hope they don't open campsites or we'll be very tempted to camp out every weekend, even week!! I'm stoked it's going ahead. I never expected that until end of summer at the earliest.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Awesome! Christmas come early!

My van has been stuck on the drive for nearly 6 weeks due to the wife working from home, me having a work van and having massive skips sat in front of it!

Last skip went yesterday so took the campervan out for a drive. OMG was I tempted to just drive off into the sunset for a night or two wild camping.....

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Paul_B

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I'm thinking of a Scottish west coast trip when we can, midges be damned!!!!!

The trouble is our son is emotionally blackmailing my partner about hiring a boat on a canal or the broads because she promised it last year for Easter. Seems a waste post lockdown to have this useable part van conversion and buy a holiday like a boat hire.

If you know any good campsites and free campervan locations on west coast I'd be interested. I can only think of the busy glenelg near the old car ferry. Or we found a good spot by a road bridge and stream on the road to the southern tip of Skye.

I think a mix of a night wild camping with the van then a campsite to refill. We don't have toilet, sink or water tanks. It's a bed, roof and electrics without much else. Until money gets saved up that is.

Anyway, it's certainly good news among the covid19 and lockdown negatives.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
I'm thinking of a Scottish west coast trip when we can, midges be damned!!!!!

The trouble is our son is emotionally blackmailing my partner about hiring a boat on a canal or the broads because she promised it last year for Easter. Seems a waste post lockdown to have this useable part van conversion and buy a holiday like a boat hire.

If you know any good campsites and free campervan locations on west coast I'd be interested. I can only think of the busy glenelg near the old car ferry. Or we found a good spot by a road bridge and stream on the road to the southern tip of Skye.

I think a mix of a night wild camping with the van then a campsite to refill. We don't have toilet, sink or water tanks. It's a bed, roof and electrics without much else. Until money gets saved up that is.

Anyway, it's certainly good news among the covid19 and lockdown negatives.
Pm me

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I've just heard of two apps giving wildcamping spots for motorhomes and camper vans. One a UK app and the other Dutch IIRC. The Dutch one is better.

Apparently they give you details of nearby spots when you're up there or for planning. Apparently my parents used it when they toured the West coast of Scotland and probably the east coast too.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Park4night is the UK app. It is a good app for finding somewhere if you have no idea where you're going to sleep and don't have time to drive about. However, I have found that a fair few places on the P4N app are regularly used, frequently covered in rubbish and/or human excrement or full already.....

If you have time, a pit stop for a brew and a quick Google map search in satellite View will find u that little hideaway, hidden discretely for added peace and quiet....

I have wild camped many times all over the west coast of Scotland, from the Galloway forest to the Isle of Skye and most places in between...... if u would like some very discrete locations pm me.

Reactions: SaraR

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I'll be very interested in those suggestions. Can I take a raincheck on that? I'm getting carried away in the excitement of getting that email. My partner has brought me down to earth with a bump! We've still not got the van converted, I'm supposed to be going back to work and a large number of other family issues going on. Oh and the lockdown is still technically in effect.

It's quite possible the only van living we'll get done is camping out in the outlaw's driveway if we visit them!!! Virus permitting of course.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE