Best folding wittler....?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
I thought I would post a thread in search for opinions and experances of what BCUK consider there best folding wittling knives

Top of my list based upon experience and use, past and present are:
Enzo pk70 scandi
Spyderco Delica wharncliffe
Herbert Robinson slimline trapper
Spyderco UKPK (heinnie edition)
TBS Boar folding scandi (although the blade is a little thick)
Case Sodbuster Jr CV
Case large stockman cv
CRKT edgie

I am interested to know what you consider to be the ideal folding whittling knife, pictures welcome.

Reactions: zornt

MikeeMiracle

Aug 2, 2019
Northampton
If your going for TBS maybe the Wildcat is better as it has a 2mm blade instead of the Boar which has a 3mm blade, tempted to get one of these myself. I also want to try witling so keen to see the answers to this one.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I have a few non-locking folders that could be good whittlers, but this is my favourite when not limited to non-locking 3".

DSC07546 by Last Scratch, on Flickr

Pointier blade than standard. RWL34 fine grained, high hardness steel, fairly low edge angle, ground with wood work in mind, continuous curved edge, bulky handle modified to be more comfortable in a full fist grip. Blade stock around 2.5mm. The opening hole is neither here nor there, I have the same blade in a standard handle with a stud instead of a hole. Both cut well.

Last edited:
Reactions: gra_farmer

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
that looks a beaut Chris
SAK - I have a double bladed version and have shaped the small blade to a near flat cutting edge which works well for fine feathers etc.
What about the Carvin Jack?

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
I enjoy using the TBS Boar EDC folder for whittling. It's a lovely pocket knife which has essentially been my main knife on almost all of my camps this year (the fixed blade has been left at home!).

I get what was said above about the Wildcat being a better option due to the 2mm blade and would suggest that's also worth a look. However, I've whittled all sorts (pegs, spoons, spatulas, book marks, try sticks...) with my TBS Boar and haven't found the blade thickness to be prohibitive.

I see you're in Kent, if you drive then treat yourself to a quick trip up the M25 and visit the bushcraft store to look at the knives. It's a great place to explore and potentially very damaging to your credit rating!

Reactions: gra_farmer

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
If your going for TBS maybe the Wildcat is better as it has a 2mm blade instead of the Boar which has a 3mm blade, tempted to get one of these myself. I also want to try witling so keen to see the answers to this one.
I have used all the above, and have the TBS Boar, I like it and enjoy the antler handle, bought it off a forum friend here.

But between a enzo pk70 and the Boar, both as scandi, I am leaning for towards the Enzo.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
It is the unexpected wittlers I would like to see and hear about, and your experiences.

Cheers to all replies

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
I have a few non-locking folders that could be good whittlers, but this is my favourite when not limited to non-locking 3".

Pointier blade than standard. RWL34 fine grained, high hardness steel, fairly low edge angle, ground with wood work in mind, continuous curved edge, bulky handle modified to be more comfortable in a full fist grip. Blade stock around 2.5mm. The opening hole is neither here nor there, I have the same blade in a standard handle with a stud instead of a hole. Both cut well.
That is a lovely blade

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
A 4 1/4" stockman is good. The only really good one around at the moment is made by GEC. But you can find older ones on AAPK

These two are very good

Whittlers.png

Reactions: titanius anglesmith

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex

Nice work, tell us more if you would. I know you’re a Griptilian fan, did you customise one?

-ssmithy-

Feb 14, 2011
Devon

That is a beauty, what did you customise/upgrade from the original.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
A 4 1/4" stockman is good. The only really good one around at the moment is made by GEC. But you can find older ones on AAPK

These two are very good

Whittlers.png
Rough rider have done one, like the bottom. But I really like the top knife

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I started off with a Ritter RSKMk1 Griptilian, then replaced the moulded handle with Micarta, swapped the pocket clip, then later made my own blade and swapped that out. It was quite a lot of work, and I would not have tried the blade except that there was a surface grinder (and superbly skilled operator) where I used to work, so I was able to have the blade heat treated full thickness, precision ground to thickness, then grind the bevels in on my belt grinder.

The other blade went in to a standard large Griptilian that I bought from Wayland at the Moot. It was VERY old, the blade was 440C rather than the 154CM that has been in use for the last 20 years ;)

One day I hope to make a custom handle in G10 for the second blade.

Funnily enough, it really was whittling and wood carving that prompted me to make the replacement blades. The Ritter blade shape is excellent for a lot of things, but it is a bit too deep at the tip to make tight turning cuts, as when transitioning from spoon bowl to handle.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
I started off with a Ritter RSKMk1 Griptilian, then replaced the moulded handle with Micarta, swapped the pocket clip, then later made my own blade and swapped that out. It was quite a lot of work, and I would not have tried the blade except that there was a surface grinder (and superbly skilled operator) where I used to work, so I was able to have the blade heat treated full thickness, precision ground to thickness, then grind the bevels in on my belt grinder.

The other blade went in to a standard large Griptilian that I bought from Wayland at the Moot. It was VERY old, the blade was 440C rather than the 154CM that has been in use for the last 20 years ;)

One day I hope to make a custom handle in G10 for the second blade.

Funnily enough, it really was whittling and wood carving that prompted me to make the replacement blades. The Ritter blade shape is excellent for a lot of things, but it is a bit too deep at the tip to make tight turning cuts, as when transitioning from spoon bowl to handle.
That is brilliant, and the knife looks like it handles fine carving easily. I think you may have some orders.....

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
Opinel you really can't go wrong. Functional, cheap, almost throw away at the price.
I liked opinels, agree for the price they are amazing, particularly when the blades are customised in shape. A number 8 used to be my EDC growing up on the family farm, in fact used it so much it looked like a fish filleting knife in the end.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE