Day Out A different trip - geology lessons

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
The other day we had a geology field trip, visiting Europe's largest meteor impact crater; the Siljansringen.
Here, about 370 million years ago, a app. 5km large asteroid smashed into the Earth, creating a large impact crater, about 52km in diameter, in the middle of current day Sweden.
The lake Siljan is a direct result of that. As a result of that impact the surrounding area got deformed and because of the processes during the ice age much of the damages have been laid bare. We were going to visit a number of sites, showing that.

The following images are from wikipedia to give you an idea;
Siljan_in_Sweden.png

Siljan_WorldWind.jpg

We started of arounf 08:30 in the morning, driving toward Rättvik, just above Falun on the shown map, where we climbed the highest "peak". It was a clear day, we could see right across the lake Siljan all the way up to Mora. It was cold to, +2C. And very windy! Windchill kicked in fast, reminding me why shelter can be a vital factor in the famous Rule of Threes!
We headed out to the next stop without much delay.
I must admit that I forgot to note the names of the locations we visited, so you'll have to make do with pictures instead, accompanied with some comments.

20191001_104731.jpg

20191001_104922.jpg

20191001_105846.jpg

20191001_110635.jpg

20191001_110807.jpg

After that it was almost lunchtime, so I was "allowed" to perform some outdoor tricks.... such as making a fire without a jerrycan of gas. The ensuing warmth was deeply appreciated by the rest of the group.

20191001_131605.jpg

20191001_131645.jpg

We also visited a site, where the former floor of the then present sea was forced up. The entire population of sea lillies was instantly encased and is now exposed as fossils.
I picked up a few with the idea of including those in gifts as seen in certain other threads, posted by a well known person, residing in a country to the south of me...
The gushing water in one of the next pictures actually is groundwater being forced up due to the geological circumstances. All you need to do, is collect and drink it!
They even looked for oil and natural gas in the wider area, but did not find any....luckily. It most likely wold have destroyed the region.

All in all a very good day out. The weather played along quite nicely, being dry and sunny with grey and rainy days before and predicted after. And I visited locations I normally would not readily, whilst learning a lot of new things.

20191001_132031.jpg

20191001_134739.jpg

20191001_134832.jpg

20191001_134922.jpg

Apparently the nr.8 spot information is not entirely accurate:
https://www.livescience.com/45126-biggest-impact-crater-earth-countdown.html

Last edited:
Reactions: demographic

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
The pictures aren't showing up for me.
I'd love to see them as I'm interested in the subject matter.

With the meteorite strike that killed many of the dinosaurs off there are layers of rock (The K-T boundery) that have a far higher concentration of Iridium (an element which is often in far higher concentrations on meteorites than on earth) so I'm wondering if this is the case with this one?

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Most posted pictures don't show for me, either.
That's exactly the kind of exploration trip that I would delight in doing.
I like the link. Shows so many identified craters around the globe.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I'm going to guess that it's because you've hosted them at bushcraftusa. They may not be able to be hosted then viewed off that site or it may be because you need to be logged in to BCUSA.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Beautiful country. Thanks for the post, it was informative and the pictures made it all the better!

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE