In the News Today

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Bushcrafter extraordinaire.....

Or hide and seek world champion.

Sad to see badger baiting still exists in this country. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-49921099

"The court heard the previous convictions of the four defendants - Latcham has 12 previous convictions for 24 offences, including for causing unnecessary suffering to an animal.

Jones has 13 previous convictions for 18 offences, including animal cruelty, while Rush has eight previous convictions for nine offences and has previously been sentenced to two years in prison, and Young also has previous animal cruelty convictions".

You can't help but feel the badger cull helps fuel this kind of behaviour too with all its anti-badger rhetoric.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Sad, very sad.....
What is wrong sentencing people to hard labour?

I am not posting a link, but the latest 'action' by ExReb, what a total joke......

The vehicle was apparently not even road legal....

I absolutely think all countries must up the environmental work, but actions like that can only do damage to more sane organisations and efforts.

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
Or hide and seek world champion.

Sad to see badger baiting still exists in this country. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-49921099

"The court heard the previous convictions of the four defendants - Latcham has 12 previous convictions for 24 offences, including for causing unnecessary suffering to an animal.

Jones has 13 previous convictions for 18 offences, including animal cruelty, while Rush has eight previous convictions for nine offences and has previously been sentenced to two years in prison, and Young also has previous animal cruelty convictions".

You can't help but feel the badger cull helps fuel this kind of behaviour too with all its anti-badger rhetoric.

Nice to see they got very lengthy sentences, especially for their repeated crimes..............................Good on the Judge, except it should have been years not weeks.................is there any Justice in this country, they should have been banned from owning dogs for life too.

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
Nice to see they got very lengthy sentences, especially for their repeated crimes..............................Good on the Judge, except it should have been years not weeks.................is there any Justice in this country, they should have been banned from owning dogs for life too.

There is the same problem where I live with hare coursing. How can you enforce/ban someone from owning a dog ? They just have someone else keep it when they're not engaging in illegal activities. Farmers get threatened with violence and arson when they confront these people, and custodial sentences are not any kind of deterrent, different mind set to the norm.

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
There is the same problem where I live with hare coursing. How can you enforce/ban someone from owning a dog ? They just have someone else keep it when they're not engaging in illegal activities. Farmers get threatened with violence and arson when they confront these people, and custodial sentences are not any kind of deterrent, different mind set to the norm.

Well you could say that about child abuse/cruelty......how do you enforce a ban......well you lock them up, or give them a long suspended sentence which will come into force if they break the conditions of the order (regarding owning or being in control of a dog), I mean these sentences are pitiful for the repeated offences and sentences previously served.
I am surprised they were not banned from owning dogs, as some of the previous offences were for dog cruelty, and especially as the RSPCA was involved in bringing the case to court.
I agree that these sort of people are not of the normal mindset, but that doesn't mean they have to get their own way, but with the Police Force we have at the moment the chances are they will/can get away with murder.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
We have a similar problem here, dog fighting and Cock fighting.
Ridiculous sentencing.
After a couple of weeks of paid relaxation, courtesy of the Queen, they go back home and start building new cages.....

Physical labour. Mild or hard, depending on crime.
Much of this labour could be hugely beneficial to the country. Clearing rubbish, stuff like that.

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
For best efficiency ( but dangerous so never, ever recommended!) you should put the car in Neutral and roll downhill. The higher exit speed - the longer your car will roll and only consuming ‘engine idling’ amount of fuel.

For me, driving a decent car is a pleasure. Cost of fuel is a minor problem.

Just for information purposes, most of the HGV's which are now mainly automatics will actually go into neutral when going downhill, in fact will "coast" on long downhill stretches and also on long flat surfaces, this is done under the guise of fuel economy.
The other part of this, is that on long downhill stretches the speed will go over the limiter speed (56mph....90km), the only way to slow the vehicle is by braking or using the retarder, if fitted, which will force the vehicle into a low gear and take the revs up into the "blue zone", just short of redlining the engine speed. Oh and as most of these HGV's do less than 10mpg its hard to see the benefit.

Reactions: Janne

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
So if no retarder is fitted, the only way to stop is to use the brakes? What if they overheat and stop functioning?
(this was why I was taught to always have a gear in going downhill, and coasting down under control)

10 mpg (Imperial) sounds like my old Bristol Car...........
It did that, and even a bit less if I drove it 'with gusto'.

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
True, most vehicles now have disc brakes all round which are less likely to overheat and cause brake fade, as the drum brakes did, you can manually change down through the gears but very harsh on the engine., and not recommended, after all brake linings are cheaper than gear boxes.

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
New True, most vehicles now have disc brakes

Not on tri axle trailers. Most modern trucks offer speed retarding systems, and anyone I know who does Pyrenees/Alps, runs has had them for years. In the US there has been the Jacobs braking system for years, but some states/cities don't like them because of the noise they make.

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Not on tri axle trailers. Most modern trucks offer speed retarding systems, and anyone I know who does Pyrenees/Alps, runs has had them for years. In the US there has been the Jacobs braking system for years, but some states/cities don't like them because of the noise they make.
Lengthy? All less than a year. Those are misdemeanor sentences at most.
Fortunately cities don’t get a say in highway laws.

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Lengthy sentences? All those sentences were misdemeanor level (under 1 year) and for minor offenses.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE