Hen of the woods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I found an old hen of the woods (Grifola frondosa) today in our woods. It's old and had rolled away from the tree it was growing under so I'll not try it. However, does anyone know if it's likely to grow at the base of the same tree again? I would assume so. Also, has anyone tried it, I gather it's good eating?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'd think it would. The Japanese grow them in logs of compressed sawdust stuff. Is it not a white rot that it causes ? can't see it stopping while the tree lives if it's gotten a hold.

M

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
I've found that they are usually found every 2 years on the same spot. sods law dictates that by the 2nd year i've forgotten about it until too late. They are delicious, and very good eating, sauteed in loads of butter, Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Thanks Toddy, I'm sure I've tried to grow them from spawn plugs but it was one that didn't succeed. This one is a natural occurrence and I doubt the tree will survive.

Baggins, I might label the tree as I walked past it yesterday and completely missed the large 'shroom. Even the old fruiting body smells good, very savoury. I hope it fruits again at some point, it would be a decent thing to do if it's going to kill me tree.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE