Willow basket weaving

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

VaughnT

Forager
Oct 23, 2013
Lost in South Carolina
That's some really fantastic work. I've always enjoyed basketmaking because it's rather meditative and have wanted to try European Basket Willow to see how it does. The range of products once made in the UK is really amazing. There's almost nothing you can't make from willow.

Around here, the mainstay is white oak but it's very hard to work and you have to kill a tree that took ages to grow. Of course, if you're lucky, you'll run across a stand of River Cane to use.

The willows we have in the US aren't the same, from what I've been told, and nobody carries the traditional wicker species for transplanting and harvesting. Haven't made a basket in ages, but you've got me thinking I might have to give it a go one more time!

Reactions: SaraR

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I thought it was a 'design feature' at the handle ;)

I do like the hoop type baskets; so very useful for fruits and veggies, etc.,

M
Actually at the handles you are meant to get over-twos as you insert new ribs when you get far enough that there is enough of a gap to push one in. If that makes sense.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
That's some really fantastic work. I've always enjoyed basketmaking because it's rather meditative and have wanted to try European Basket Willow to see how it does. The range of products once made in the UK is really amazing. There's almost nothing you can't make from willow.

Around here, the mainstay is white oak but it's very hard to work and you have to kill a tree that took ages to grow. Of course, if you're lucky, you'll run across a stand of River Cane to use.

The willows we have in the US aren't the same, from what I've been told, and nobody carries the traditional wicker species for transplanting and harvesting. Haven't made a basket in ages, but you've got me thinking I might have to give it a go one more time!
Thank you for the kind words!
You could try using hazel for ribs and blackberry or some other vines for weavers. But basket willow is pretty amazing stuff, I agree.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
My brother learned to weave willow, made a grand fruit basket but not as nice as Sara's.
I am attracted to the exposed handles, I would need those.
I can imagine that basket full of wild apples and other fruits.

Much to our amazement, all the buds on his basket SPROUTED!
The fruits were in the thicket of greenery! Was pretty funny.
How did you ever put a stop to that?

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Yesterday's effort was another frame basket, but a shallow garden trug this time. It uses precurved ribs and brown willow.

Having made three different types of frame baskets now, I have realised that although I like the construction, I prefer making stake and strand baskets.IMG_20190909_154122400.jpg IMG_20190909_154135932.jpg

Reactions: Janne and Toddy

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
H
I like the symmetric use of the different colors. Are these baskets used for gathering, storage or both?
Thanks! I was trying to match the colours as evenly as possible.

The garden trug is meant for collecting and bringing in produce or flowers from the garden or for holding gardening tools as you're working, but I will probably end up using it for storing oranges or apples in the kitchen. :)
If I made a bigger one it could be useful to hold my beekeeping tools...

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
SaraR: that round basket is really well designed.

Can you modify your basket weaving technique to make :
1. More of a trap or cage, perhaps to be used for fishing?
2. A very fine woven (grass?) container that could be used for dry food storage (nuts?)

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
SaraR: that round basket is really well designed.

Can you modify your basket weaving technique to make :
1. More of a trap or cage, perhaps to be used for fishing?
2. A very fine woven (grass?) container that could be used for dry food storage (nuts?)
Thanks! You could make an open zigzag weave that might be good for a trap if you want bigger holes. For speed and simplicity a more basic weave might be better though.
It's possible to do pretty much any shape it seems (if you're skilled enough!).
Rush is commonly used for baskets in the UK, in Sweden birch bark was used for similar type containers. But for storing nuts you'd want some air circulation, surely?

Reactions: Robson Valley

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I'm trying to imagine trapping crayfish, paleo-style. Some sorts of basket-like traps with bait,
held to a stream bottom with stones.

I worked where there were dozens of oak trees and the annual acorn crop was impressive.
Dreadful to try to eat. But, we all noticed how damp they were when collected off the ground.
Had to be aired off to dry or damp mold would kill them (no germination), not to mention
the damage that weevils could do. I suppose that mice would have been a paleo threat, too.
Baskets hanging from home roof rafters?

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I'm trying to imagine trapping crayfish, paleo-style. Some sorts of basket-like traps with bait,
held to a stream bottom with stones.

I worked where there were dozens of oak trees and the annual acorn crop was impressive.
Dreadful to try to eat. But, we all noticed how damp they were when collected off the ground.
Had to be aired off to dry or damp mold would kill them (no germination), not to mention
the damage that weevils could do. I suppose that mice would have been a paleo threat, too.
Baskets hanging from home roof rafters?
Well there are traditional willow lobster pots, but you could also make something like a modern crayfish trap in willow.

I guess you could cover the outside with clay and increase the protection potential.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Those baskets are perfect enough to demand a high price in a shop!

The colouring/ shade, does it stay like that when the willow dries?

For finer ( =thinner) walled baskets and containers, Roots from Pine were used in the past. .

There is a good vid on YouTube about (willow ) basket making

That ‘Northmen’ publisher has some very, very interesting videos.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Those baskets are perfect enough to demand a high price in a shop!

The colouring/ shade, does it stay like that when the willow dries?

For finer ( =thinner) walled baskets and containers, Roots from Pine were used in the past. .

There is a good vid on YouTube about (willow ) basket making

That ‘Northmen’ publisher has some very, very interesting videos.
Thank you very much for the compliments and for the link to the video!

I think it depends on the willow whether the colours will fade or not. Here's a recent photo of my very first willow basket made 4 years ago, and the colours are still visible even though it's been standing near the window.

Mum did some spruce root baskets once. Took ages but the resulting baskets were great - sturdy yet light and thin.

IMG_20190922_152743097_HDR.jpg

Reactions: Robson Valley

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Sarah, do you know that red stemmed bush that was (is?) commonly planted around Swedish schools?

(Usually beside that pink flowered rose bush with the huge Rosehips filled with natural and organic itching powder?)

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Sarah, do you know that red stemmed bush that was (is?) commonly planted around Swedish schools?

(Usually beside that pink flowered rose bush with the huge Rosehips filled with natural and organic itching powder?)
That's probably kornell (sv), dogwood (Eng), Cornus spp.

Reactions: Janne

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Yes, that name sounds familiar.

Stuff made from these natural materials are so beautiful. Here on island traditionally they used fronds and fibers from a palm called Silver Thatch Palm.
it is said the marine use ropes from that material was more long lasting, and stronger, than tarred hemp.
Some old ladies still know how to do stuff like baskets and hats.

(I need to get some myself)

Reactions: SaraR

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE