What's new in the barefoot shoe world?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
made moccassins and minimal sandals
I'm looking for something i can wear at work without getting more raised eyebrows.
otherwise i would probably just grab a pair of fivefingers by Vibram :)
Yes it has to be said my sandals are not really work wear.

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
I use Vivo, and have for a few years, but as said they are damned expensive to replace if you use a everyday wear. I Have started kicking around in a set of Converse style "pumps", a boot version made by Dunlop. They aren't bad and are fairly common place footwear, so don't look out of place. They only cost £12!

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I
I use Vivo, and have for a few years, but as said they are damned expensive to replace if you use a everyday wear. I Have started kicking around in a set of Converse style "pumps", a boot version made by Dunlop. They aren't bad and are fairly common place footwear, so don't look out of place. They only cost £12!
I think that if it is well expensive then it is not worth it unless it will last you at least a decade.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Do the Freet Mudees have a waterproof liner? I’m tempted by these.

Bought in November last year.

In March they started to separate - Freet's response was to send some glue.

The tube of glue split in the post so they resent.

I glued up, fine for another few weeks then started to separate in other areas.

Freet's response was to send more glue and also a guilt trip that if it happened again they would send them off for a 'full life through Shoe Aid' rather than me have to put up with them.

They lasted a while longer and then started to separate again.I didn't bother contacting them but have used some glue of my own a few times.

They now look like this and the soles are wearing through as well.

image uploader

I don't do anything daft in them, just wear them to walk. I have little faith in Freet now, not helped by the smarmy attitude. I'm about to go for some Lems boulder boots to try.

Last edited:

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
The boulder boots look good and there is a UK stockist.

The downer for me is that they're only water resistant not water proof.

I'm undecided!

I've been recommended vivo gobi hi tops as well but they're only available in women's, which I assume means slim fit. I'm going to do some checking and also see if their Scott ones are waterproof at all. Benefit of vivo is they have a good guarantee.

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Just to add, these are the soles of my muddees - 10 months old!

IMG-2167.jpg

adriatikfan

May 23, 2010
North Yorkshire
Please excuse what may be a stupid question - what kind/thickness/breathability/combination of socks do you typically use with these 'barefoot' shoes.

At the age of almost 64 and walking up to two and a half hours daily with the dog, I'm beginning to get knee problems and lower back pain and am considering a pair of such shoes - would be interested to hear from those of you with the experience already of using them.

Many thanks!
David

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Socks wise. i use my normal everyday socks for all footwear except wellie boots where i wear a liner sock and a thicker walking style sock.
with my vivos i just wear thin normal socks - are they called dress socks?

Hope that helps

Reactions: adriatikfan

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Not sure what you mean by 'zero heel drop'.
If you're asking if they have heels then, no. They are flat soled.
If you click on the link there are a few pictures and you can see the sole.
The shoes are very soft and flexible. More like a pair of trainers.

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Not sure what you mean by 'zero heel drop'.
If you're asking if they have heels then, no. They are flat soled.
If you click on the link there are a few pictures and you can see the sole.
The shoes are very soft and flexible. More like a pair of trainers.

Zero heel drop are 'barefoot' shoes - no heel, as you say.

Like trainers can be deceptive though - lots have too much padding (though I know these don't)

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
I feel so naive.
I've just done a bit of internet research. I'd never heard of barefoot shoes before (I assumed it was a brand name to start with).
I'd heard of people, literally, walking barefoot when out and about. In fact, I've tried it myself a few times.

I'm also someone who likes light and flexible footwear, and someone who as soon as I get home socks and shoes come off and I walk everywhere barefoot (even at work some times - well, socks on).

I've always wanted to be more adventurous with truly barefoot walking but was always conscious that even though I spend a lot of time literally walking barefoot that our feet are still considerably softer than many cultures and to walk on some terrain surfaces would shred my feet.
So I'm excited to see that a range of 'barefoot' shoes exists. Although, in hindsight, I should have guessed as much (what lifestyles can't be marketed nowadays, eh?).

I'll be looking a lot more into this. I think I'd prefer to try on before I buy, so not too sure what stockists there are around here. But look into it, I defintely will (I particularly like the look of the Vivo Trackers).

The boots I linked to above are certainly not 'barefoot' boots. But they are light, soft, flexible, low padding, and there's only a minimal heel drop. Again, not quite as extreme as barefoot shoes, but certainly more so than your average shoe/boot. And since you can get them in Sports Direct you can always try before you buy.

I'm excited about finding out about this and new pair of barefoot shoes might have made their way to the top of my list to Santa.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I recently purchased a pair of Tracker FG https://www.vivobarefoot.com/uk/mens/outdoor/tracker-fg-mens?colour=Dark+Brown
Visually they do take some getting used to :O_O: but comfort, grip and balance they are leagues above any other boot I have owned. In the fareness of testing I have only worn them for daily duties and one round trip up and down a hill. However that hill was in places very wet, very steep and very muddy and for the majority of the trip I had a 3yr old on my shoulders whilst towing a 9 yr old....

Price is the other killer. They are shockingly expensive but they are a premium leather and very well made (Tip look out for discount codes, I saved about 40 quid). They also don't have the mass-production of your larger brands so that doesn't help price either . Quite an interesting company if you look them up.

The reason I went barefoot is to help strengthen my ankles and associated tendons. I train traditional Karate 3 times a week and now the other side of 40 so need all the help I can get.

I will try and do a proper write-up if it will interest anyone out there thinking of taking the plunge, albeit a ruddy expensive one..

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I was warned off the trackers if using them everyday on the street and road as the soles aren't hard wearing and designed for off road use. Would have been an expensive mistake!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE