Down bag disaster!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
We are all mended. I used the tape. It's not as pretty as a nice neatly sewn patch. But it's done the job quickly and relatively easily.
Thanks for all your suggestions . Well done!

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
Good job.......
The spark burn in my Down jacket was my reward for being sensible...November 5th, Sussex had gone Bananas as always with Bonfires everywhere, so I took my jacket off, hung it far away from the fire and people chucking 'Rookies' about.
A big, expended, expensive rocket landed like a Meteorite from out of the darkness...from someone else's firesite.... shower of sparks...Thank you! Sax's jacket caught one spark...:muted:

Reactions: Woody girl

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
By the way:

That's another reason to avoid down filling sleeping bags and clothing.

Spark holes in polyester filling bags are just a better ventilation...

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Personally I realy like down sleeping bagso and jackets. This is the first time in over ten years of using down items I've had a problem. And it was my carelessness I fully admit.
It just means you realy look after your gear as it's more expensive and more fragile in some ways. But on a cold day or night my down gear wins hands down.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
Looking at Kristin Hostetter's book on Outdoor Maintenance (certainly worth getting - its saved me money), she suggests using Tear Aid tape , which is pretty similar to Tenacious Tape.

However, if your not using it immediately, getting it repaired professionally would be better long term. rab now have their own repair service, and a quick look on the net will bring up a number of reliable companies. Some will just be able to patch, and some can restuff as well.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I looked at sending it off for repair but though cheaper than a new bag by far I just couldn't afford, it which is why I asked if there was another way.
Ive patched things before and figured it wouldnt be too hard, but was just making matters worse. Definitely if I could afford it I'd go for a professional repair.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
I looked at sending it off for repair but though cheaper than a new bag by far I just couldn't afford, it which is why I asked if there was another way.
Ive patched things before and figured it wouldnt be too hard, but was just making matters worse. Definitely if I could afford it I'd go for a professional repair.

If it hasnt leaked, then it might just need a patch sewn. I used LSR for something years ago, and they seemed fine, and will patch tears from £25. others seem more pricey, and you have to factor in shipping, but its not something you have to do instantly. There are of course a number of other places that do repairs, and even restuffing.

You dont need to wash it all that often, and if you are going to get it cleaned (and pretty much everyone recommends getting a down bag washed professionally, its just so much less of a faff), then get a proper repair at the same time, when you can afford it. As long as the tape holds for a while, its fine.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE