One knot to bind them all.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Not that one.

It's the taut tarp hitch.

Looking at Paul Kirtleys video, I’ve been using that knot for years. All I do different is lock the slippery hitch with a half hitch using the bight. The Evenk is useful, but I always forget how to do it when setting up. There’s also a power cinch knot, but I prefer round the tree and back to a prussic loop.

Last edited:

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Taut-line Hitch. The Evenk is useful, but I always forget how to do it when setting up. There’s also a power cinch knot, but I prefer round the tree and back to a prussic loop.

Personally I don't think the evenk is all that but if it works for folk. It's a quick slippery knot for tying off. I'm old school and would go for a round turn and two half hitches or clove hitch in that situation. Would also likely go for a highway and hitch before he evenk - just old habits.

The most recent knot I learned that is in frequent use (10 years ago or more!) is a fast variant on the trucker hitch that Mors K demonstrated. Great for tensioning.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I tend to use 3 knots for 90% of what i do
Falconers hitch - for tying a loose line to something
truckers hitch - for tying a tight line (maybe the other end of the falconers line)
Taught line hitch (the guy line knot) - for adjustable tensioning
All are tied in a slippery way to be able to undo easily.
all can be tied in any thickness of line. I've tied them in fishing line up to 2.5 inch diameter poly rope.

i know a few others but they are for specific tasks

Same here although I recently changed out the Taught-line for a https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farrimond_friction_hitch

The farrimond is much easier to pull-clean. Great knot once you get used to it.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I use a number of knots (probably a dozen) but don't try to remember too many.

The one knot that I seem to use more frequently than others is the round turn and two half hitches on the bight.

Reactions: Nice65

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
Figure 8 for loops
Round turn and 2 half hitches
Zeplin bend, great for tying 2 lines together including bungy cord

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
i swear i have a mental block when it comes to knots
no matter how much i see/practice a knot its almost INSTANTLY gone out of my mind.
i can remember how to tie my shoelaces but not really bushcrafty

i use evenk knot,prussic knot, timber hitch and clove hitch as theyre basically all i can remember

Me too, I think bungees are the greatest invention

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've been playing around with this, but I think it needs the collective knot heads to really make it work.

Y'know how the carvers have the Mors Trystick thing ? The stick where they make every kind of cut a bushcrafter is ever likely to use ?
We've all seen, or made, those paracord knotted bracelet things....how about we design one that uses multiple knots, like those mentioned in the thread.

Start with a bight, or maybe splice a really small ring ? and into that a couple of larks heads....there's four strands to work with right from the off or round turn and two half hitches for two strands....or well, what would you suggest ? Work along the length making the different knots that we know/use/forget like Sam does, and maybe finish it up with one of Tony's (Asmery) button knots to fit into the loop.

I'm making a knotted owl, sort of macrame style, not a big one, just a footery wee one, just now. Using sisal twine :rolleyes: which looks good but is proving to be a right royal pain to use. It's uneven, it's hairy, it's sort of camouflage coloured, it fankles, so my frustration's getting the better of me as I try to keep my knots neat and even.
It occured to me that home made cordage and a knotwork wristband would be a decent bushcraft practice piece too :D

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
When you get going though there are so many knots, bends and hitches. I'm just reading Hervey Garrett Smith's 'The Art of the Sailor' (I blame Wayland) - so, on top of knots there is splicing, whippings, seizings, netting, matting ….. not to mention the decorative knots :)

Reactions: Wayland

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
There isn't one all-purpose knot that will do everything.

I need one that makes a loop that will tighten as the standing part is pulled, one that won't do that, and a couple of others for odds and sods.

Most of the time, I can get away with three:
Round turn and two half hitches, bowline and clove hitch, all three learnt from my grandmother.

For years, I thought that the last of these was the "clothes hitch", because she used it at one end of the clothes line.

After that, I think that a figure eight knot and a reef knot are most useful. Unless I need to weight a heaving line, then I'll want to tie a monkey's fist. I learnt that one from watching Jack Hargreaves on TV.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have a copy of Ashley's.
It was a present :D
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ashley-Book-Knots-Clifford-W/dp/057109659X (mine's an older issue though)

I also have one by Des Pawson, and I've been on one of his courses and I can thoroughly recommend him and his work. Just excellent :) fun to listen to and learn from as well.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Handbook-K...ZR1KENWXET2&psc=1&refRID=5D33F06XBZR1KENWXET2

I've put this one on my Christmas list though :)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pawsons-Kn...N2WYTN2P8TR&psc=1&refRID=8D3K4T1DCN2WYTN2P8TR

Geoffrey Budworth is an other favourite,
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-B...BKRPWXBEMA2&psc=1&refRID=MBAGGW1PXBKRPWXBEMA2

John Kemp made me tiny little earrings, the same way he makes the spliced stainless steel bangles. I make miniatures and I really admire fine work, but I wouldn't know where to start with these.
https://www.gloostonlogs.uk/ropework.html
M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE