No time like the present

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Veracocha

Sep 9, 2019
Birmingham
Evening everyone. Lurked for a few days and now time I think for an intro. Always been an outdoors person and love the idea of bush-craft but never practised it in any great shape. I recently hit 56 and thought if I don't do it now then I never will. Watched many a you-tube video and blog and now it's time for a bash myself. I don't even know anyone who's remotely interested to share the experience but that wont put me off.

No going back now; I have spent nearly a grand in two weeks preparing for my first foray into the wild. I have an appointment with the lakes in two weeks and then retreat to some land I have in Worcestershire for a proper attempt at self sufficiency. I hope to come back here and let you know how I got on, if you don't here from me send out the search party. All the gear and no idea was never a more fitting statement it seems. Great forum.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Evening everyone. Lurked for a few days and now time I think for an intro. Always been an outdoors person and love the idea of bush-craft but never practised it in any great shape. I recently hit 56 and thought if I don't do it now then I never will. Watched many a you-tube video and blog and now it's time for a bash myself. I don't even know anyone who's remotely interested to share the experience but that wont put me off.

No going back now; I have spent nearly a grand in two weeks preparing for my first foray into the wild. I have an appointment with the lakes in two weeks and then retreat to some land I have in Worcestershire for a proper attempt at self sufficiency. I hope to come back here and let you know how I got on, if you don't here from me send out the search party. All the gear and no idea was never a more fitting statement it seems. Great forum.
Hi and welcome!
Enjoy your time outdoors and remember that although it's rarely as easy as it looks you can still have lots of fun trying!

Oh and a healthy stash of tea and your biscuit of choice makes everything much more enjoyable. :D

Veracocha

Sep 9, 2019
Birmingham
Just returned from a trip to the lakes, spent three nights alone in Patterdale at Side Farm campsite and can sum it up in two words. Wash out!
In my excitement to try wild camping I didn't factor in the weather as I should have but the craving was too great to resist. I did a recce up to Angle Tarn on the first day and although the hike was exciting with sporadic outstanding views I came down soaked to the skin and drained from facing the wind. It rained for three days solid. A great experience with a few things learned along the way.

1. Absolutely put your rucksack cover on.
2. Dehydrated meals taste worse than my wife's cooking
3. No matter how much I look forward to something be prepared for disappointment, nature wins.
4. Ullswater is a very beautiful place
4. Plan your next trip on the drive home

Reactions: Robson Valley

Veracocha

Sep 9, 2019
Birmingham
Yes, being able to slip into my secondary kit was indeed a wonderful feeling. Here's two pictures that reflect the ups and downs with the weather and both shot within 20 minutes of each other.
WhMRZRLP

https://postimg.cc/WhMRZRLP
https://postimg.cc/LJTryz8C

Reactions: Robson Valley

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Good to have you on Bushcraft UK and like Wayne above I'm looking forward to reading more of your adventures.

If you've got some time in February you should come to the Winter Moot and meet some of the folks BushMoot.com

Reactions: Veracocha

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Just returned from a trip to the lakes, spent three nights alone in Patterdale at Side Farm campsite and can sum it up in two words. Wash out!
In my excitement to try wild camping I didn't factor in the weather as I should have but the craving was too great to resist. I did a recce up to Angle Tarn on the first day and although the hike was exciting with sporadic outstanding views I came down soaked to the skin and drained from facing the wind. It rained for three days solid. A great experience with a few things learned along the way.

1. Absolutely put your rucksack cover on.
2. Dehydrated meals taste worse than my wife's cooking
3. No matter how much I look forward to something be prepared for disappointment, nature wins.
4. Ullswater is a very beautiful place
4. Plan your next trip on the drive home

Hi, and welcome.

On the odd occasion, when you wake up in early morning sunshine with the mist just clearing from the tarn you camped next to, all the drenching seems worthwhile. On the meals front, I haven't done dehydrated since the early eighties; there's loads of good stuff from the supermarkets that take next to no cooking such as the pre-cooked and flavoured rice which you can eat cold if you need to.

I look forward to hearing about your next trip :)

Reactions: Veracocha

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE